BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
thashef
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Bluetooth Streaming

I have searched here, but I can't find a clear answer.

I am getting X3 35i with just the Premium and Cold Weather pkg. Will I be able to use my Android phone to stream music using Bluetooth to the car or I need to have extended bluetooth for this to work. I do understand that I'll be able to call and stuff using iDrive, but not sure about streaming musi
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thashef View Post
I have searched here, but I can't find a clear answer.

I am getting X3 35i with just the Premium and Cold Weather pkg. Will I be able to use my Android phone to stream music using Bluetooth to the car or I need to have extended bluetooth for this to work. I do understand that I'll be able to call and stuff using iDrive, but not sure about streaming musi
If you have ordered the tech pkg, you should be able to get BT audio via bluetooth.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
If you have ordered the tech pkg, you should be able to get BT audio via bluetooth.
what do you mean by tech pkg? also, do i need a prof nav sat to use iphone/ipad? i noticed if I plug in my ipod thru the usb, it cannot detect the music inside it. I only have std CD pkg and business nav sat.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
thashef
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

So its not a standard feature. Just phone call feature is standard and you have to pay to get the music streaming on the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Update - Phone cradle vs USB/AUX Ports.

Audio playback is only possible from a phone installed in an armrest cradle when the Aux port (below the USB port) does not have a cable fitted. Please find below an extract from my dealer who was at a loss to understand why audio from my phone was no longer possible.
"What we have discovered is that within the AUX connector there is a signalling changeover switch to the eject box which is all part of where your phone cradle plugs into. This switched changeover signal is used to determine which source of audio is going to be processed for audio playback. When the AUX wire is plugged into the AUX socket, the audio signal from the i-pod is the source for audio playback. This switchover also initiates the display of information about the album, track, play time etc to be displayed on your i-drive screen. When the AUX lead is removed, the switchover within the AUX socket signals that the audio source to be played back is now to be from the (eject box) i-phone 4S".
In short what this means is that you can only expect to hear the audio from your phone if an AUX cable is not fitted. Having the phone and iPod connected will mean that only iPod sound is possible. This fact is not currently published by BMW!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
For any ipod user, do yourself a favor and connect via dock connector not the headphone connector. On the X3 and most newer cars w/ USB port, definately go USB. If you only have an Aux-In, get a cable like this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/ipod-m...rodIFEPDM.html

Not endorsing specific cable, just a type.

The ipod audio connector is amplified w/ volume control, and never sounds great going to a line-in aux port on a car. The ipod dock connector audio out is a Line-Out without amplification or audio control - and when you go from the dock connector to your aux-in it sounds better. as I said, on your X3 or any vehicle equipped with a USB connector, just go with that - its well integrated. but if you are ever in a car that only has Aux-in and u need ipod sound consider this method.

Thanks for the heads up that plugging in to the Aux-In on the X3 will disable audio from USB and BT streaming. I haven't used my aux-in because i use the USB connection

as for streaming - I have a Droid 2. It never worked at first - phone would look like its playing, but no audio- about a month ago I did a full factory reset on the droid2 to deal w/ a variety of issues, since then audio streaming in my X3 works, also messages now come in to connectedoffice - or whatever its called (don't care so much about that feature)

personally i'm glad to have both USB and BT streaming working - on my old E91 the aux-in port was inside the center console and faced up - i could never find a good 90degree bend audio jack and so when i closed the center console it would apply pressure on the connector - i had to have the connector fixed twice by the dealership on my E91. The F25 X3 is much better in so many ways.
Appreciate 0