BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Bike Rack (2012 X3) - best options?

Hi

Having never contemplated it before, I am suddenly in need of a bike rack.

My X3 is 3 years old and does not have a tow bar.

What options do I have? As a 5'3" woman, I am looking for something that is easy to use and preferably easy to take on and off (would rather that my husband didn't have to keep doing it...).

Thoughts please?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
JoeU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 - msport

Garage List
2014 3 wagon, 2.8  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
I think you have two good choices and two less good. Given your height, the roof is out of the question.

1) Install a hitch and go with a hitch mount (receiver) bike rack. There are a number of choices for this.

2) The small size of your frame and saddle, would allow you to do something like this.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540663

I wish I could do this, but at 6'4", my bike hardly fits on its side and the seats down

3) Go with a hang on rack. I don't like these at all, but again, there are options.
https://www.saris.com/product/gran-fondo

4) These look interesting, but I am not sold on trusting my bike to it.
https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/#!prettyPhoto

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you very much, JoeU.

I have a 5.5 year old and so am not sure if the internal bike carrying would be possible (fitting him and both of our bikes).

I share your dislike of the (idea of) hang on racks. The suckers look scary.

If I went along the path of getting a hitch (or tow bar), can any UK owners recommend the best way to go about it? Am assuming going down the BMW dealer route is incredibly expensive... I live in the Southwest (Bristol) area, if anyone has specific experience down here.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Easy to take on and off. Very stable. Also comes in two bike version.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ighlight=saris
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

bike racks that hang off the back glass are not a good idea as the clips will eventually ruin your paint, if not even rip off your top spoiler.

Get a hitch and install a Thule Helium 3 bike rack on it. Weighs like 20 pounds only.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Some bike racks come with straps intended for glass hatches, and that is what you should use if you are putting one up on an X3. I know people are suggesting a hitch, which I also agree is the nicer option - but I'm not sure it's comparable. You're spending up to several hundred dollars/pounds more over a hanging rack - so yeah, it should be the nicer option.

On my previous X3, I had the Yakima Quickback 3 rack that hung off the back - and it was very sturdy. I have to admit it was a pain to put on though and the thing is pretty heavy, but it did its job and did it well.

I haven't decided if I will go with a hitch on my current X3. I need to explore options that won't affect the comfort sensor below the rear bumper that opens the hatch by waving your foot underneath.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
On my previous X3, I had the Yakima Quickback 3 rack that hung off the back - and it was very sturdy. I have to admit it was a pain to put on though and the thing is pretty heavy, but it did its job and did it well.

I'm not sure I like this option on any vehicle. The image shown above reveals the vehicles brake lights partially hidden by the bike. I've seen, and have briefly followed vehicles where bikes strapped to a rear mounted carrier totally hide that vehicles brake lights making it impossible for the driver behind to know when the vehicles brakes are applied. Not to big an issue if sufficient stopping distance exists between the two vehicles, which is not often the case. Think about it; in that second or two where the trailing driver can't see the brake lights of the car ahead and doesn't recognize that vehicle is coming to a sudden stop, the distance require to stop their own vehicle may diminish to a point where it becomes impossible to stop safely. A rear-end collision results, damage and injury could be sever. For the safety of my family and those following me I'd want to ensure what ever solution I selected didn't prevent others from knowing I'm stopping.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
I'm not sure I like this option on any vehicle. The image shown above reveals the vehicles brake lights partially hidden by the bike. I've seen, and have briefly followed vehicles where bikes strapped to a rear mounted carrier totally hide that vehicles brake lights making it impossible for the driver behind to know when the vehicles brakes are applied. Not to big an issue if sufficient stopping distance exists between the two vehicles, which is not often the case. Think about it; in that second or two where the trailing driver can't see the brake lights of the car ahead and doesn't recognize that vehicle is coming to a sudden stop, the distance require to stop their own vehicle may diminish to a point where it becomes impossible to stop safely. A rear-end collision results, damage and injury could be sever. For the safety of my family and those following me I'd want to ensure what ever solution I selected didn't prevent others from knowing I'm stopping.
Hmm, you really experience the same thing with any bike mounted on the back - strap on or hitch albeit some are a little lower. The top brake light is not obstructed and the regular brake lights really aren't despite being behind the spokes. I've never actually heard of that being an issue with these type of mounts but the only way to avoid this would be to put it on top of the car or inside the trunk. Or the Saris mount where the bikes are mounted vertically on the back of the car.

Appreciate 1
      07-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you very much: I am digesting all of the information and options.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, you really experience the same thing with any bike mounted on the back - strap on or hitch albeit some are a little lower. The top brake light is not obstructed and the regular brake lights really aren't despite being behind the spokes. I've never actually heard of that being an issue with these type of mounts but the only way to avoid this would be to put it on top of the car or inside the trunk. Or the Saris mount where the bikes are mounted vertically on the back of the car.
Many installations I've seen carry more than one bike. Try driving behind a family with two adult and two children's bikes strapped to the back. Between the number of bikes and their position of the carrier, brake lights always seem to be obscured by the bikes. I realize the 3rd brake light is often uncovered. Point is the other lights are not clearly visible, which is a distraction.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Easy to take on and off. Very stable. Also comes in two bike version.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ighlight=saris
I use this as well on the X3 and the 328i.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
Many installations I've seen carry more than one bike. Try driving behind a family with two adult and two children's bikes strapped to the back. Between the number of bikes and their position of the carrier, brake lights always seem to be obscured by the bikes. I realize the 3rd brake light is often uncovered. Point is the other lights are not clearly visible, which is a distraction.
I understand what your concern is, but I'm not sure if you're generally just saying that you don't like rear mounted racks, either straps or hitch mounted because of the possible obstruction. You responded specifically to my post which made me think you were singling out strap mounted vs hitch mounted when they both are mounted in the same area.

I've often driven behind people with 3 or 4 bikes mounted on the rear, especially this time of year and, knock on wood, I've never been distracted enough to come to an accident. There is a heightened sense of alertness that I typically would have whenever I follow someone with a non-standard back. Otherwise, it's simply not something that I hear people comment much about as far as it being a distraction.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #13
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

technically the one that Thule recommends for our cars is this one:

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/...c-973-_-973002

And it specifically says it does not block the lights or license plate FWIW.

I considered one like this for our 535 wagon, but was concerned with the load on the rear spoiler, and funny enough, when I called Thule, their own rep recommended against me putting one on for that reason, if I had a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

With the ongoing saga of bike racks, I thought I would post my four years plus experience with the Saris Bones on the back of the X3 and also address some of the above comments and observations.

When I purchased the X3 the options for hitch installation were very limited. In reading about them, I found that I would have to cut the bumper and also loose ground clearance. Now, that may not be important to some, but I like taking the mountain bike into the "wild" and not see any souls for the few precious hours. So, if ground clearance is important, you may lose some from the extended length of the rack as well the hitch receiver hanging lower. With the new models of hitches, it may be different, but something to keep in mind.

With respect to paint degradation I use clear protector film at all contact points. I just detailed the car and the paint is perfect in those areas.

I do not have a problem with the "spoiler" area. It's been rock solid from day one.

In California, the Highway Patrol is pretty tough on license plate regs. With the Saris the rear plate is only partially obscured, certainly more readable then the above pictures of both the hitch mount and strap on racks. I have never been stopped for it.

As far as the tail lights being obscured, they can be easily seen through the spokes. Nobody has ever commented or flipped me off for it! Certainly no different than the man eating four wheel drive pickups with rock guards covering the tail light.

I'm sure the original poster had no idea the can of worms she opened. But I say buy what meets your needs and budget.

Enough writing, time to go wriding.

Last edited by Radioactive; 07-14-2015 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

In response to some questions on securing the bikes and/or rack to the car here are the systems I've used. The first is a bracket that I fitted and installed underneath the car using existing bolts.
Name:  IMG_0239.JPG
Views: 5614
Size:  158.1 KB

The second is the fastest and easiest to make and use. I took the existing cable and wrapped it through a two inch PVC pipe coupler. I just open the hatch and throw it in.
Name:  IMG_0240.JPG
Views: 5628
Size:  157.1 KB

Also to control the straps I use these:
Name:  IMG_0243.JPG
Views: 5604
Size:  137.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #16
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

Thanks so much for the pictures on how you lock it to the car. I think I'll use the PVC route!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
In California, the Highway Patrol is pretty tough on license plate regs. With the Saris the rear plate is only partially obscured, certainly more readable then the above pictures of both the hitch mount and strap on racks. I have never been stopped for it.
This is my biggest concern. I've read across the board that people have varying experiences but most have not had a problem and neither have I. Still it seems that all you need is someone having a bad day and you'll get pulled over. I've actually considered (as have others) hanging (securely) my license number in front of the rack or bike. As you can see with the Yakima Quickback 3 - you get maximum license plate coverage. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #18
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I understand what your concern is, but I'm not sure if you're generally just saying that you don't like rear mounted racks, either straps or hitch mounted because of the possible obstruction.
The posted picture was a reminder of the concern I have about rear mounted bike racks. It's not the mounting method that I'm against, it's the obstruction hanging behind the vehicle that's an issue for me. Strap or hitch mounted, either one has the potential to allow bikes to be positioned such that brake lights are obscured.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #19
mbrown007
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M Package

Bike Rack

I am new to the forum. Looking for a bike rack that attaches to the tow eyes in the rear bumper. Does anyone know where to find this item? I know it exists somewhere because I keep finding photos online but no part numbers!

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334355

I've seen this on X1s, X5s, & X6s.....Please help!

Don't want to install a tow hitch and don't want a scary strappy rack!

Photos of my car will be uploaded soon.

-MBROWN007 (2012 X3 35i)
Appreciate 0