BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I'm another one of those who didn't even drive the 35i. I picked up my 28i at the Performance Center on Wednesday and I couldn't be happier.

I thought about the 35i, but decided that I wanted to have the maximum practical fuel economy. Even though the 35i has better EPA ratings, I doubt I'd use less gas. Quite the opposite - I fear I wouldn't resist stomping on the gas and end up using far more. The temptation isn't as great with the 28i, and the power is more than sufficient, especially with the 8 speed.

I've been playing with the suspension settings today, after having it in comfort mode most of the first few days. With the suspension in sport and the powertrain in normal, it feels more like my '07 E83. The ride is firm in this mode, which I like. The car is very smooth and quiet, easily the most luxurious feeling BMW I've owned.
Congrats!!!
A little secret about DHP for everyone in case this has never come up.... in "non-dhp" vehicles, the setup is listed as "normal".. meaning normal suspension (obviously). however, in DHP vehicles, the normal setup is actually "comfort mode" and it's not until you go into sport mode that things tighten up. Bottom line is that "normal" in non-dhp cars is actually stiffer than 'normal' in DHP equiped x3s.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

DHP v no DHP

Agree based on actual experience.

I had a loaner with DHP fitted. I left it on the 'Normal' setting fearing I might regret not selecting the option when my car arrived. The difference was unbelievable, the ride was so much firmer and none of the floaty feeling of the DHP.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
Agree based on actual experience.

I had a loaner with DHP fitted. I left it on the 'Normal' setting fearing I might regret not selecting the option when my car arrived. The difference was unbelievable, the ride was so much firmer and none of the floaty feeling of the DHP.
Wait I'm confused by your post...I think you are agreeing with me but it's late and I've had a few glasses of wine so I may be reading it incorectly. I think what you are saying is that you have an X3 without DHP (right?) but you had a loaner that had DHP and you kept it in normal mode. (right?) And you are saying that your X3 (without DHP) was much firmer and not floaty than the loaner with DHP (right?)

Or are you saying that your X3 without DHP is floaty and the DHP car was firm? (I don't think you are saying that but want to make sure.

From my experience, here is what I found..."normal" x3 without DHP is a great balance...X3 with DHP in normal mode is definitely floaty...if you drop it into sport mode, it feels a lot like the "non-dhp" x3...and maybe just a tad tighter, but barely. If you flip it into sport+ it definitely tightens up but you really need to be pushing it on B roads to appreciate it...and then you better have sport tires on it to stay on the road.

Agree or are you saying something different?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #26
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

I never even looked at the 28i and went for the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Most of us here love BMW, and frankly if I were to order the 35i, then I would have gone for the DHP, Sport package, Head-up, etc. and the total would have been sky rocket!!!
I think I'll be extremely happy with the 28i with all its fancy features.
The difference, well I did a lot of other stuff!!! What?
We'll you are not gonna believe this: I bought a new house for our new X3 just to park it in a new parking!!!
So the difference went to a good cause
I bet you will be happy with your choices, more house less car seems like a wise choice. I'm all for good money management and thrift. There are lots choices in our consumer/marketing culture and the road to ruin is saying yes to every spending opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #28
lola_falana_12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

@Mole-Ditto...I was confused as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #29
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola_falana_12 View Post
@Mole-Ditto...I was confused as well.
Mole- Waffle, me three!!!
I couldn't finally figure out what Waffle was trying to say... (i think he also had a couple of shots before writing! )

Waffle, Are you now happy with your car which is without DHP or ...????
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #30
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Mole- Waffle, me three!!!
I couldn't finally figure out what Waffle was trying to say... (i think he also had a couple of shots before writing! )

Waffle, Are you now happy with your car which is without DHP or ...????
I am guessing at thsi poing but I'm pretty sure Waffle is trying to say that the DHP x3 in normal was floaty and the non-dhp x3 was much tigher etc... but i'm guessing!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #31
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
I am guessing at thsi poing but I'm pretty sure Waffle is trying to say that the DHP x3 in normal was floaty and the non-dhp x3 was much tigher etc... but i'm guessing!
From a fellow UK owner and having read some of Waffle's other posts, I think he is saying what you've assumed:

1. He test drove a DHP in Normal mode
2. He owns a non-DHP and much prefers the feel in comparison to DHP in Normal mode

It's actually VDC in the UK but let's not complicate things...

I concur and like the feel of the steering on my non-VDC. I have sports suspension and perf control with 19" alloys and think it's a great combination

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #32
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Sorry to have caused confusion. sfax has summarrised correctly.

Occasionally I wonder whether I should have taken the 18" wheels as the roads in the UK are cracked and pot holed but then I look back at the 19" wheels I know I made the right choice. Now I drive around the man hole covers and pot holes (when it's safe to do so).

I'm definitely happy with my choice.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #33
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Case closed!!!
Appreciate 0