BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
lydonen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered a new X3 X20d

GLK beats X3 in Norwegian test

Hi,
Just received the last issue of the norwegian magazine "autofil".
They run a test between the X3, the GLK and the Q5.

The GLK wins on looks and economy, otherwise they are quite equal. The X3 is slashed for looking bland, and they really rave about the GLK's price and looks..

Totally biased test if You ask me, my X3 is a LOT cheaper than a comparably equipped GLK and the emission is a lot less so the economy price should go to the X3. They also reports that the GLK drives just as well as the X3, wich I honestly find reason to doubt..

I am still waiting to see the X3 in the flesh but I suspect it holds it's own against the GLK and at least it does not deserve 6/10 in the looks department..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydonen View Post
The GLK wins on looks and economy
Wow, "looks" is definitely the most subjective of criteria upon which to base a win. IMHO the X3 is far better looking than the oddly angular GLK.
      01-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
Wow, "looks" is definitely the most subjective of criteria upon which to base a win. IMHO the X3 is far better looking than the oddly angular GLK.
+1, never even considered the GLK based on its 'ugly' looks

The Q5 on the other hand is better looking than the X3 but thats where it ends and the X3 is comfortably better in all other aspects

The next issue 'March' of What Car in the Uk is running a 2011 X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Volvo XC60 vs Freelander - due out any day (my money is on the X3 - in a similar test in Auto Express the X3 won easily)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 01-16-2011 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
+1, never even considered the GLK based on its 'ugly' looks

The Q5 on the other hand is better looking than the X3 but thats where it ends and the X3 is comfortably better in all other aspects
+1 for everything BIMMER UK 76 has written above

Also, you absolutely need to see the X3 in the flesh, as many people will tell you, it looks bigger and better than it does in many photos

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
lydonen
Enlisted Member
Rep

IMO the GLK looks OK, but seriously my Tiguan offered more room and the c-class interior looks dated and not too classy. The command system and the navi is beaten by far by BMW's latest offering.

The Q5 finished last in this test but it gets my vote in the looks department (at least when the offroad optic package is fitted) but the X3 looks good too so a test should not be decided by such subjective criteria.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

The latest issue of Sweden's largest (and by far most serious) car mag, Teknikens Värld, featured a test between the new X3, the Q5 and the XC60.

Needless to say, the X3 won, by a very large margin.

Most interesting to me was fuel consumption. Teknikens Värld always compare both actual test consumption, and their own "cycle". If I remember correctly, both Volvo and Audi claimed 6,7-6,8 ltrs/100 km, whereas BMW claim 5,6. The actual figures were 9,9 for both Audi and Volvo, whereas the X3 managed 7,3 under identical conditions. These were winter test conditions obviously.

Also, the X3 outpaced the others by two seconds (!) from 0-100. The Audi was a 2,0 TDI w/ S-tronic and the Volvo was a 205 hp D5 Auto.

I was very impressed (and pleased) after reading that test.

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
lydonen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjernstrom View Post
The latest issue of Sweden's largest (and by far most serious) car mag, Teknikens Värld, featured a test between the new X3, the Q5 and the XC60.

Needless to say, the X3 won, by a very large margin.

Most interesting to me was fuel consumption. Teknikens Värld always compare both actual test consumption, and their own "cycle". If I remember correctly, both Volvo and Audi claimed 6,7-6,8 ltrs/100 km, whereas BMW claim 5,6. The actual figures were 9,9 for both Audi and Volvo, whereas the X3 managed 7,3 under identical conditions. These were winter test conditions obviously.

Also, the X3 outpaced the others by two seconds (!) from 0-100. The Audi was a 2,0 TDI w/ S-tronic and the Volvo was a 205 hp D5 Auto.

I was very impressed (and pleased) after reading that test.

Karl
Karl, I have that mag as well and enjoyed reading the test. The norwegian volume selling X20d comes with a 163hp engine but it can easily be tuned up to the stock 184hp, wich I naturally will do once I've taken delivery :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Karl, I have that mag as well and enjoyed reading the test. The norwegian volume selling X20d comes with a 163hp engine but it can easily be tuned up to the stock 184hp, wich I naturally will do once I've taken delivery :-)
I'd just skip the stock level and go straight for a nice 215-220 hp aftermarket tune.

You guys have ESS locally...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
lydonen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'd just skip the stock level and go straight for a nice 215-220 hp aftermarket tune.

You guys have ESS locally...

Karl
That would void the warranty- but why not ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

Quote:
How did you gonna tune it? and were, I have ordered 163hp as well. I be pleased if you have any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perto View Post
How did you gonna tune it? and were, I have ordered 163hp as well. I be pleased if you have any suggestions.
Hi,

I've been looking around, and so far the most promising alternatives are Vtech (www.vtech.se) and Mosselman (www.mosselmanturbo.com).

Also will have a look at Bluefin from SuperChips as well as well renowned Swedish tuner BSR, who are starting to roll out their BMW tuning softwares.

I have quite a bit experience from tuning, so I'm probably going to be the most demanding customer any of these companies have met...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

X3 Vs GLK

Although X3 is not a very pretty car, but I think GLK is not that pretty either!

GLK not for sale in the UK, don't know why?

IN my Opinion, Volvo XC60 looks the best, but very expensive when nicely spec and also safest.

The driving is fine, but co2 and running cost quite high compare to X3, so I go for an X3 finally.

I was thinking of the Evoque 5 door, but its too small and may be expensive when spec up too. I still love it if I don't need the space.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
lydonen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

I've been looking around, and so far the most promising alternatives are Vtech (www.vtech.se) and Mosselman (www.mosselmanturbo.com).

Also will have a look at Bluefin from SuperChips as well as well renowned Swedish tuner BSR, who are starting to roll out their BMW tuning softwares.

I have quite a bit experience from tuning, so I'm probably going to be the most demanding customer any of these companies have met...

Karl
My salesman suggested a tuning within warranty, but I'll have to check again and report the method tomorrow..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep

Quote:
My salesman suggested a tuning within warranty, but I'll have to check again and report the method tomorrow..
Please do! Unless it's from 163 to 184...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

Quote:
I'm interested in those 21 hp.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
lydonen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perto View Post
I'm interested in those 21 hp.
aw snap! I forgot to call them today as I don't subscribe to this page at the office.. Sorry guys, will check tomorrow..
Appreciate 0