BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 drive 2.0d

fitting a dash cam

afternoon all, iv checked the form pages for next base hard wire install but no luck. everyone seems to have gone with other types..

but I'm after help if poss please, iv threaded the wire down the left hand piller and looking at tapping into a fues under the dash behind the glove box, just one question what number do i go into? or shall i reroute the wiring? fixing bits and bobs on the engine i can do, but when it comes to wiring I'm stumped......

any help would be great... lol
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4gav View Post
afternoon all, iv checked the form pages for next base hard wire install but no luck. everyone seems to have gone with other types..

but I'm after help if poss please, iv threaded the wire down the left hand piller and looking at tapping into a fues under the dash behind the glove box, just one question what number do i go into? or shall i reroute the wiring? fixing bits and bobs on the engine i can do, but when it comes to wiring I'm stumped......

any help would be great... lol
If you want the dash cam to work when the ignition is off (records in parking mode as well as normal driving) then you need to find a permanent live in your fuse box. In my car (late 2013 UK xDrive 30d MSport) fuse 58 (5 amp) behind the glovebox was used by the installer. Note. I said installer. Not by me.

I have the Lukas QVIA AR790 twin channel front and back system.

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-22-2017 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
If you want the dash cam to work when the ignition is off (records in parking mode as well as normal driving) then you need to find a permanent live in your fuse box. In my car (UK xDrive 30d MSport) fuse 58 (5 amp) behind the glovebox was used by the installer.
whats parking mode? sorry to sound so dumb..... I'm new to all this
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4gav View Post
whats parking mode? sorry to sound so dumb..... I'm new to all this
If I am parked in a car park, mine records for the time I will be away from the car. Many cars get damaged in car parks! In my case I have set it for 6 hours, it then shuts it off. There are other considerations with this, such as the ubiquitous BMW low battery warning, because the car thinks there is a problem with battery discharge when it is not running. Lots of things to consider with BMWs. My dash cam will also shut down when parked if the battery voltage drops to a predetermined level....set in the menu.

Did you not research all this before purchase of dash cam?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep

i didn't mate , when i went to halfords they don't really give you a good break down. they just tried to sell me the most expensive one there!
but over the last couple of months iv had so many people drive at me when its been my turn to make a move at a junction when a lorry is in the middle lane.... i just didn't want to take a chance.

but i will download the user manual now as you don't get one in the box for some strange reason.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
Commerce
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I have my Blackvue dash cam tapped into the rear fuse box using a device called a multi safer which will power it when the car is off and cut power to prevent the camera draining the battery similar to what Peter described.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I tapped the accessory fuse for mine in the fuse box behind the glove box in the dash. It energizes as soon as you hit the unlock button on the key fob and stays on for about 30 minutes (I think) after shutting off the ignition and leaving the car. I don't want it recording much longer than that anyway as it'll just overwrite previous video with a bunch of nothing on the memory card.

Can't remember the fuse number I used but can check on it this weekend if needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

My installer used fuse #58. The camera does not record blank video. Only videos with movement over the 6 hour period. It can also be set for time lapse that stores endless hours of video. It never overwrites frames that have been automatically marked with movement on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
If you don't want it always powered, I tapped fuse 65 behind the glove compartment. It is the fuse for the power outlet in the center armrest and it turns off after about 15 or so mins after the car is off and locked. It turns on immediately when comfort access is activated or really if anything in the car is powered. This might be the same fuse as Iowa X mentioned above. It worked really well for me.

I'm sure in my history of posts show all I went through when installing my cam a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #10
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

I use my dashcam with the cigarette lighter as i don't like leaving it in view when i am parked up, i ran the lead from the camera, in the trim behind the a-pillar, underneath the glove box, along a join in the dash (actually goes behind the dash trim) and comes out at the flat bit in front of the cupholders, lighter socket plug sits here until i want to plug the dashcam in - works for me..
      11-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
I use my dashcam with the cigarette lighter as i don't like leaving it in view when i am parked up, i ran the lead from the camera, in the trim behind the a-pillar, underneath the glove box, along a join in the dash (actually goes behind the dash trim) and comes out at the flat bit in front of the cupholders, lighter socket plug sits here until i want to plug the dashcam in - works for me..
Good. That is what I did temporary. However, after having a car damaged in a car park some time ago, I felt it was better to use the dash cam for one its recommended uses,so I went the whole hog and had it set up for parking. I have a QVIA AR790 (it is a very discrete tubular front one with a rear camera) that records both front and rear videos on the front camera's SD card.

My experience with 4 different types of cameras, is if you do not have it permanently setup to do most things for you, there is a time when you think you are only going to driving a few miles and that is when you most need it. Especially if you forget to take it out of the glove box and plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 01:45 AM   #12
Tweaksta
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 F25 30d M Sport

Another idea....instead of running the dashcam off the main battery when the car is off, you can run the camera off a power bank which charges from the USB port when driving.

I'm about to buy a dashcam and I'm thinking of doing it this way.
Appreciate 0