BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Frontal Collision Warning DOES apply brakes automatically...

I just wanted to post this here because there was a question about this a few months back in case anyone was wondering... If you have the Driver Assistance Plus package that includes Frontal Collision Warning, the are WILL apply the brakes if it feels that a collision is imminent.

Despite the description that says that there is brake intervention, I wasn't sure if that was only if you had the Active Cruise Control option (which I did not have). I've always only seen the red car icon on my HUD and dash and the beeping.

Well, someone in front of me stopped short and sure enough, the red car icon went on and the fast beeping immediately turned into a long beep. By the time I had pressed the brakes, the brake pedal was already on it's way to be pushed down somewhat and I was stopping. Thankfully no impact.

I don't know if I would have hit the car if the brakes were not automatically applied but one thing is for sure - it started to apply them before I reacted. I guess that is the point and for that I can say is well worth the cost.

So anyone who is still curious about this (because BMW doesn't do a great job of describing what comes with the Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus packages), the answer is yes - the brakes will automatically intervene once it feels there is going to be a collision.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I haven't done much reading on the matter, but Fifth Gear did a comparison test once and pointed out only certain manufacturers have automated braking that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop / avoid collision, while some manufacturers (such as Benz) only slows down the car enough to make the crash less severe.

Where does BMW fall?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
cigar3tte
Rep
Drives: Trophy (2016 x3 xDrive28i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I haven't done much reading on the matter, but Fifth Gear did a comparison test once and pointed out only certain manufacturers have automated braking that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop / avoid collision, while some manufacturers (such as Benz) only slows down the car enough to make the crash less severe.

Where does BMW fall?
According to my sales advisor, BMW's make a complete stop. I'm not gonna run a test to check him.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Cool! If I had it on my car, I would test it right away by may be putting a cardboard wall on the road, and drive into it! Or try it with a large sheet of paper or something. I wonder if it could sense those...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Interesting.. I opted out of the option when i placed the order for my wife's X3. Glad there is finally an answer though. The paper\cardboard idea sounds like it would theoretically work.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
My X3 came to a complete stop but it happened so fast. When I started to press on the brake, the brakes were already being applied and it felt as if the car was slamming on the brakes. I felt like I didn't put much pressure on the brakes (you could feel the brake pedal tension a lot lower than where my foot level was) and it came to stop, and then I released my foot and started drifting again as the car started to move. (At this point I was afraid of getting slammed behind me.) I guess it's hard to explain since it all happened in like half a second.

Interesting - I never thought about the paper/cardboard idea!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

here's one for Volvo

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

I've been in 2 instances:

1) My 1 year old threw his toy to the front passenger seat and I reached back blind to give it to him. In that slight second the car in front of me came to a complete stop, thankfully I was only going 25 mph but the car stopped 95%, and then I stopped the remaining 5% with my foot.

2) Going about 45 mph, I was adding a new destination (some restaurant) enroute to my final destination ( I bet some of you didn't even know you can add a stop over, well now you know ) and again the car in front of me slowed down to 10 mph from about 45 mph and the car and I split the braking 50/50. The X3 slowed me down to about 25 then I did the rest down to 5.

Listen, it doesn't bring you to a complete stop at zero MPH, especially if you are going about 40 mph. This system only prevents fatal or severe accidents. It provides an excellent cushion for you to react in time to save you family.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
I've been in 2 instances:

1) My 1 year old threw his toy to the front passenger seat and I reached back blind to give it to him. In that slight second the car in front of me came to a complete stop, thankfully I was only going 25 mph but the car stopped 95%, and then I stopped the remaining 5% with my foot.

2) Going about 45 mph, I was adding a new destination (some restaurant) enroute to my final destination ( I bet some of you didn't even know you can add a stop over, well now you know ) and again the car in front of me slowed down to 10 mph from about 45 mph and the car and I split the braking 50/50. The X3 slowed me down to about 25 then I did the rest down to 5.

Listen, it doesn't bring you to a complete stop at zero MPH, especially if you are going about 40 mph. This system only prevents fatal or severe accidents. It provides an excellent cushion for you to react in time to save you family.
I didn't think you could get the braking option On the 2013 models? I went back even and double checked the ordering guide and don't see anything?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2013 US X3 prices.pdf (365.4 KB, 447 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I didn't think you could get the braking option On the 2013 models? I went back even and double checked the ordering guide and don't see anything?
I have to find out the production date on mine, but I definitely have it. Are you saying that I'm lying? I have those 2 buttons by my left knee. Frontal collision system avoidance with braking and lane departure..

Last edited by Crashnbrn5; 07-07-2015 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Check out the buttons (quickly) lit up in my video. Fast forward to 1 Min and 6 Seconds please

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have to find out the production date on mine, but I definitely have it. Are you saying that I'm lying? I have those 2 buttons my the left knee. Frontal collision system avoidance with braking and lane departure..
I think I do recall the option available but didn't realize it had brake intervention as well. In any case, they moved the control in 2015 to next to where the hazard lights control is.

Well, I couldn't be certain that the car would have stopped if I didn't put any pressure on the brake pedal, but I know that the amount of pressure I put on my brake pedal was not great and my car did come down to just about a halt but at that point, the warning went off and I and the system released the brakes.

I'm guessing if it's to work properly, it would brake you up until no imminent collision is detected since that is when the red icon will go off and the beep would stop.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I think I do recall the option available but didn't realize it had brake intervention as well. In any case, they moved the control in 2015 to next to where the hazard lights control is.

Well, I couldn't be certain that the car would have stopped if I didn't put any pressure on the brake pedal, but I know that the amount of pressure I put on my brake pedal was not great and my car did come down to just about a halt but at that point, the warning went off and I and the system released the brakes.

I'm guessing if it's to work properly, it would brake you up until no imminent collision is detected since that is when the red icon will go off and the beep would stop.
I gotcha, take a pic of the button please and take a pic of what buttons are by your left knee
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #14
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Here are pics of the button underneath the hazard lights. Used to be the central lock (which is now moved to where the side mirror adjustment area).

The button is an icon of a car with a circle around it. If the circle is green, then all the driver assistance safety items are on (frontal collision, pedestrian collision, and lane departure). You can turn them off individually, but then the circle won't be green.

No buttons on the left knee anymore.

I took these pics months ago without these being the focus so apologies for the blurriness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have to find out the production date on mine, but I definitely have it. Are you saying that I'm lying? I have those 2 buttons by my left knee. Frontal collision system avoidance with braking and lane departure..
I didn't imply anything or say that. WTH is wrong with you? Take a chill pill.

Was asking how it's possible if in 2013 MY it wasn't available according to the document. Strange, because I can't find it in the 2014 MY car guide either...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #16
DirkBal
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014&2015 X3 30DHers&Mine

Thanks for this JSY, have on my car and often wondered if it would.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #17
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99
Quote:
I didn't imply anything or say that. WTH is wrong with you? Take a chill pill.

Was asking how it's possible if in 2013 MY it wasn't available according to the document. Strange, because I can't find it in the 2014 MY car guide either...
I'm calm now. You tend to say things that make a man upset, lol in the nicest way possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm calm now. You tend to say things that make a man upset, lol in the nicest way possible.
Really? Guess that's your perspective on it, and Like everything in life, there's two ways of looking at things. The other way to see it is the problem isn't with me, and maybe you're the one who's reading too much into it, and are trigger happy in jumping on people?

I'm still baffled by how you've gotten an option that technically wasn't possible to be ordered on a MY13 car, or even a MY14 one. That was my point.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
thehive
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 x3 30d M-Sport

So to summarise - do all F25 x3's have automatic collision avoidance?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
chage
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I just wanted to post this here because there was a question about this a few months back in case anyone was wondering... If you have the Driver Assistance Plus package that includes Frontal Collision Warning, the are WILL apply the brakes if it feels that a collision is imminent.

Despite the description that says that there is brake intervention, I wasn't sure if that was only if you had the Active Cruise Control option (which I did not have). I've always only seen the red car icon on my HUD and dash and the beeping.

Well, someone in front of me stopped short and sure enough, the red car icon went on and the fast beeping immediately turned into a long beep. By the time I had pressed the brakes, the brake pedal was already on it's way to be pushed down somewhat and I was stopping. Thankfully no impact.

I don't know if I would have hit the car if the brakes were not automatically applied but one thing is for sure - it started to apply them before I reacted. I guess that is the point and for that I can say is well worth the cost.

So anyone who is still curious about this (because BMW doesn't do a great job of describing what comes with the Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus packages), the answer is yes - the brakes will automatically intervene once it feels there is going to be a collision.
Hi Guys,
I have a 2017 BMW X3 with driver assistance plus package assuming that the frontal collision will do a complete stop in case of any collision detected. However.. today my wife got into an accident by rear ended a car infront that came to complete stop due to some random guy make a u-turn on a no-u-turn light. Our X3 bumper got some scratches, but at closer look we realized the fender also bend by few mils, plus the fog light is damaged,. The repair shop told us the cost will be 4K to replace and repair...

i was actually pretty surprise that the auto stop did not work. I have drove using auto cruise with go and stop and it did stop completely when needed. I really disappointed that BMW did not work on this incident.

anyone has any idea if this is normal or some malfunction of the anti collision system?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #21
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chage View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a 2017 BMW X3 with driver assistance plus package assuming that the frontal collision will do a complete stop in case of any collision detected. However.. today my wife got into an accident by rear ended a car infront that came to complete stop due to some random guy make a u-turn on a no-u-turn light. Our X3 bumper got some scratches, but at closer look we realized the fender also bend by few mils, plus the fog light is damaged,. The repair shop told us the cost will be 4K to replace and repair...

i was actually pretty surprise that the auto stop did not work. I have drove using auto cruise with go and stop and it did stop completely when needed. I really disappointed that BMW did not work on this incident.

anyone has any idea if this is normal or some malfunction of the anti collision system?
Funny how I haven't visited this forum for a bit and I came back to it to find my old post at the top with your reply.

Sorry to hear about this. I don't know that it would actually come to a complete stop with the frontal collision avoidance because as it started braking, I put my foot on the brake to push it down so I'm not sure exactly where it stopped and where my braking started - if you know what I mean!

But, does your wife recall the red car light go on on the dash and the HUD (if you have)? It should have went on, then blinked as you got closer and it should have beeped very fast to alert you. If she doesn't recall any of this happening - and you are certain the the function is on, then it might be a reason to check for a defect. I mean, did anything happen at all or did the X3 just continue to go into the rear of the other car with no alerts and no braking? It should have done something to at least alert her.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #22
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

While the ACC (Automatic Cruise Control) option will indeed bring the car to a complete stop under "normal" circumstances, the Anti Collision feature will "Help preventing the severity of a collision by alerting the driver and lessen the impact by priming and/or applying the brakes." Quoted from 2017 "build your own" page for an X4.

The effect described in earlier posts where people say "car did 95% and I did 5% of the braking" is exactly what it feels like when you wake up and brake. The brakes feel much more powerful because they are primed. Even a moderate brake pedal pressure will feel like a 100% brake application. I doubt you will find a Volvo-like statement from BMW along the lines that the car will stop if you don't. BMW lawyers may be smarter than Volvo lawyers.
Appreciate 0