BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Removing Badges?

I'm not fond of model/feature badges on vehicles (e.g. "X3" and "xdrive"). My wife feels even more strongly about it than I do -- which of course focuses my interest appropriately!

Tried to have them removed on my order, but the dealer insisted that in the US that option was only available on M cars. Seemed odd considering all the X3's come out of the same plant and I understood deletion to be a general option for European models. I pushed him a bit but he was unwilling to explore it further.

Anyone have experience removing the badges? Is there a post underneath, or is it simply affixed with an adhesive? Seems that it would need to be on top of the paint and clear coat. Any easy and safe way to pop those buggers off? Any risks?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

ordered mine in UK where model deletion is an no cost option.agree with you all those silly badges spoil the lines of the car and are nothing but a nuisance when you are cleaning car
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjen View Post
ordered mine in UK where model deletion is an no cost option.agree with you all those silly badges spoil the lines of the car and are nothing but a nuisance when you are cleaning car
I guess it's down to personal preference. I just think it looks odd with no badge (like someone has stolen it) and I like the badges, particularly the new X3 badge on the rear. I'm sure I was told you can't remove that one, only the xDrive20d badges on the sides.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I can see your view about it looking like it was stolen, like something is missing. Have to kind of agree, too, that the X3 badge seems to somehow suit the vehicle much more than they have on other cars.

My goal of removing them is still dictated by spousal preference, though . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I can see your view about it looking like it was stolen, like something is missing. Have to kind of agree, too, that the X3 badge seems to somehow suit the vehicle much more than they have on other cars.

My goal of removing them is still dictated by spousal preference, though . . .
Leave it on at your peril then and don't put her on to me if you decide not to remove it because of this thread

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...x=&startPage=1

I would start with that link. Good luck.
      01-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I also sometimes look at cars that have model designation missing and think that the owner has done it to hide the fact it's a lesser model. I might be the only one who thinks however!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
ayio
Rep
Drives: F25 in process

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I also sometimes look at cars that have model designation missing and think that the owner has done it to hide the fact it's a lesser model. I might be the only one who thinks however!
And I would remove these badges because I will buy 35i "full config" and wouldn't like to show to everyone how I'm happy.. you know, it's a kind of mental security. You know that nobody knows what model you have and logically they think you have lesser model.. Less pathos if you wish..

ps: by the way it's also a FOC option in RF made by the request when you order the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Hi,

Removing badges is very simple. You use a hot air gun (worst case a hair dryer will work, but that requires higher ambient temp) to heat up the glue to the point that it becomes soft and lets go. Then use something like a monofilament fishing line to "saw" through the glue, and they'll pop off.

The traces of glue can be removed with a suitable mild solvent. There are specific "decal removers" or "glue removers", which are usually citric acid based.

Depending on how old the car is you may need to rub and polish to remove any traces, but on a new car that is never necessary.

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayio View Post
Quote:
And I would remove these badges because I will buy 35i "full config" and wouldn't like to show to everyone how I'm happy.. you know, it's a kind of mental security. You know that nobody knows what model you have and logically they think you have lesser model.. Less pathos if you wish..

ps: by the way it's also a FOC option in RF made by the request when you order the car.
Ah, the wolf in sheep's clothing approach. I like this reason for removal the best

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Quote:
Ah, the wolf in sheep's clothing approach. I like this reason for removal the best
My previous 374 hp Saab 9-5 wagon still said "2.0t BioPower" in the back. Sure did fool a bunch of owners of supposedly fast cars...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

I quite like the little xdrive badge on the front doors

I de-badged my 520d but never considered it on my new X3

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
I quite like the little xdrive badge on the front doors

I de-badged my 520d but never considered it on my new X3
1 for front door badges. They're a nice touch even if difficult to clean around

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
1 for front door badges. They're a nice touch even if difficult to clean around
S**t, I never thought of that!

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I debadge for a couple of reasons. I prefer the cleaner look without badges, and I like a more low key approach, and not getting too much attention. I have debadged an S4, STI, Golf R32, and Mazdaspeed 6 as well as my current 335i. I don't like kids trying to race or getting the police's attention with performance specific badging - the casual car person will not care or even notice most of the time, but I was always surprised when car enthusiasts would know the exact car/trim even without the badges.

I always use tooth floss and goo gone to remove the badges, and follow up with polish and wax.
      01-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjernstrom View Post
Hi,

Removing badges is very simple. You use a hot air gun (worst case a hair dryer will work, but that requires higher ambient temp) to heat up the glue to the point that it becomes soft and lets go. Then use something like a monofilament fishing line to "saw" through the glue, and they'll pop off.

The traces of glue can be removed with a suitable mild solvent. There are specific "decal removers" or "glue removers", which are usually citric acid based.

Depending on how old the car is you may need to rub and polish to remove any traces, but on a new car that is never necessary.

Karl
+1 Over in the Audi forums I used to frequent, the standard advice was a hair dryer plus dental floss. I still proudly sport the 1.8T badge on my A5 because I never see another one on the road - the owners have always had them removed.
Appreciate 0