BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Should I care what others think...

Maybe there is a better place to post this on the BimmerPost site, but I am heavily in the market for a 2011 X3 and have posted a bit on this forum so let me have a go...

I'm a school teacher and put simply I've got money that isn't exclusively my salary only. I would like to purchase this car and although there are a few students actually driving nice cars in the parking lot, most teachers drive your Honda's, toyota's, etc...

Someone has a used audi wagon and one other faculty member has a 2001 325xi, and maybe I'm missing a car or two here or there but for the most part, it would stand out pretty easily. And if I chose Vermillion Red? Well, that would stick out most anywhere but at a Western Massachusetts public school - where everyone essentially makes between 40 and 60K per year, well - it's obvious that the dude would have some extra funds lying around.

Should I care? I guess I do if I am posting here. But does anyone else have these sort of issues? And its not like a parking lot where no one sees what you drive. Everyone sees everybody.

Currently, my car is a 2001 VW passat that ive owned since new for the past decade. Still in great shape and THAT's considered a nice car in the parking lot.

I know many will say "drive what you want and if they hate you then f- em."

Anyway, any other experiences with this sort of thing.

Again, sorry if its the wrong place to post but it IS an X3 im pricing out right now...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you have the economics to enjoy a nice car and the nice car won't be keyed or messed with at the school lot because it's a nice car, then why not?

It's cliche, but life is short, so why not enjoy it now. Or else it sounds like you'll have to wait until your retirement to ever own a nice car.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Probably depends on precisely who the people are around you, but I think this sort of thing hinges a lot on how you interact with other folks and what you do with the car. If you make a spectacle of it revving like a teenager, parking it in the quad, or show off with it somehow I bet you'll attract negative attention. If you keep a low profile and react in a humble way when the topic comes up, I bet most folks will simply be happy for you.

Might give the color some though since this issue is something that concerns you. That is, for me, I wouldn't want to drive to work each day feeling self-conscious because I thought the color highlighted me too much. While I might dig the color, I wouldn't dig that feeling. So if there was a less bold color that I liked, too, I might pick it. If that was "the" color for me, than I'd do it and not worry about others.

This said, it is still an SAV and a BMW regardless of color. Great cars that I love, but it's not quite like showing up in a Ferrari. My view could be skewed by the number of high-end cars around here, though.

At my work there are quite a few people with BMW's and a number with more exclusive vehicles. When I bought my first BMW I was working closely with a group of new hires. Fresh out of college. Most with debt and not making much yet. They tended to still live as poor college students. When they saw my car they were sort of blown away. Made a couple jokes, but after that they just thought it was nice and seemed happy for me that I was able to enjoy it. Never caught any real crap for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I work in one the largest school districts in Minnesota. I think I can understand where you are coming from. I work district wide so get to a lot of the schools and park in a lot of school parking lots. My current car gets more attention than I would like (although a lot of it is positive from the kids)…I have had a couple of times when we (co-workers and I) have had to transport a few kids and instead of calling shotgun, the kids would call to go with me in my car

You will get a few comments from co-workers, and supervisors. To me, it is worth it to drive the car I want. The co-workers who know me best already know I have "car issues". You may become "that guy" you know, the one with the nice car People won't think you are an obnoxious prick because you drive a BMW…at least the people that know you (unless of course, you are an obnoxious prick)
      01-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

I understand your predicament as I know some teachers who were asking similar questions. They were even contemplating switching schools so it wouldn't raise concerns. In the end, they ended up buying their cars because when they got asked by the kids, they respond that by staying in school, they could eventually buy a car just like that.

The other teachers never said a word. We think most of them don't rank cars as a high priority. Most of them are in Subarus and Toyotas.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by F25X3 View Post
Lol that was my frame of mind when I was ticking all them options when I ordered mine. Life's too short. Not to be grim but the other day a footballer aged 29 died in his sleep here in the uk Rip. Why bother with what other's think. enjoy ur ultimate driving machine
+1 for ticking a silly amount of option boxes. Life's too short!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Cool. Thanks for all the comments. It is true that no one is going to say 'Oh, he drives a 10 year old VW, so he must me a better guy ..."

My wife says the same thing: get the car you want, drive it and be happy.

Most likely with go with deep sea blue, not because i don't want to stand out, just because i do like the color.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
My wife says the same thing: get the car you want, drive it and be happy.
She's right - and yes, the blue is an excellent colour
      01-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Jenaviv
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

I have had the same thought process

I'm a modest person, I live a nice lifestyle, my tastes have evolved, and I want an X3. I don't like to be showy, but I want to drive a car that I like. I know I shouldn't have to feel guilty about it, but I'm not real comfortable with it either.

I have to agree with another person, that said -- in the end it's the way you interact with others. If your a nice person, the people that actually know you shouldn't have an attitude about it and if they do, there is nothing you can do.

I also kind of wanted the red with the tan interior. Saw X5 in that color combo and it was gorgeous. My color choice is holding me up from placing an order.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

Nope, buy what you want.
      01-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
CoronadoX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3-X5

go get it! If u love to drive you will enjoy any second inyour bimmer!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:53 AM   #12
Physics Teacher
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Let students know that teachers can drive nice cars to

Show them that if any one budgets and hustles well, even a teacher, they can drive whatever they want. Why are teachers shown as bottom rung and not working professionals who can afford a BMW.
Why would kids want to grow up to be teachers if they think it's automatic you have a shit car? Show em what you got, it's not a bad life. You can help kids and drive your beemer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:51 AM   #13
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Teacher View Post
Show them that if any one budgets and hustles well, even a teacher, they can drive whatever they want. Why are teachers shown as bottom rung and not working professionals who can afford a BMW.
Why would kids want to grow up to be teachers if they think it's automatic you have a shit car? Show em what you got, it's not a bad life. You can help kids and drive your beemer.
I'm always a little amused and curious how somebody even stumbles across an 11 year old post of this nature, then comments on it as if it's a current question, and actually joins the forum just to do it. Meanwhile, the OP has not been on the forum in almost 9 years.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I'm always a little amused and curious how somebody even stumbles across an 11 year old post of this nature, then comments on it as if it's a current question, and actually joins the forum just to do it. Meanwhile, the OP has not been on the forum in almost 9 years.
I completely agree, I see this more and more lately. I assume they google some words that takes them to a old post which they think is a current topic

You'd think they'd notice the posted date, it's ironic this resurrection was from a teacher

Should anyone tell them the slang beemer is for motorcycles and bimmer is for cars
Appreciate 3
      01-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #15
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

I think it is just a matter of a new member eagerly want to join.
The rule is to have one post before you are accepted.
The second OP can clarify.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:38 AM   #16
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Teacher View Post
OP did buy the car….guess he overcame his 'doubts' about being a standout in the school parking lot.

Interesting to me he would post such a question on a public forum begin with, hmm….
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 11:58 AM   #17
Ol' Red Duc
Lurking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sport Wagon

Garage List
Not specific to a BMW here but I always get a kick out of people thinking I'm rolling in the dough when I show up in my '94 Porsche 968. Let me tell you, when I bought that it was the single cheapest running and not obviously wrecked 968 in the country, and cost me less than the vast majority of used cars. Our current family car is a 2011 328 wagon, Deep Sea Blue over Saddle and it got the same attention, when it was comparably priced to otherwise lame econoboxes when I bought it. And the new car, Vermillion Red 2013 X3, is probably going to have the same effect.

I won't buy something that I don't want to drive, and if that comes with attention or judgement, then so be it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #18
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bit off topic, but I've been driving Bimmers for 16+ years, each car purchased used, from original owner.

One thing I never do is park my car directly in front of any store where I might purchase goods or services- people spot a BMW, many cannot discern the cars age (many older models can look very new) and presume i am well off, plenty of money to burn….not true. I just want to avoid them pushing up the price of their product or service.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #19
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Bit off topic, but I've been driving Bimmers for 16+ years, each car purchased used, from original owner.

One thing I never do is park my car directly in front of any store where I might purchase goods or services- people spot a BMW, many cannot discern the cars age (many older models can look very new) and presume i am well off, plenty of money to burn….not true. I just want to avoid them pushing up the price of their product or service.
What sort of stores are you shopping at where prices are flexible? I park in front of Ace Hardware in my 650 convertible and nobody has ever raised the price of a faucet washer.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 05:18 PM   #20
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I'm speaking of say a flooring store, not the every day grocery store, etc. basically anywhere prices are not 'fixed'.

If I have a service type company come to my house to give estimate for work I never let them see the car.
Appreciate 0