BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

iPod Cable?

Hey all... for those that have taken delivery, did your car come with the iPod cable? My CA said that they weren't giving those out anymore because they weren't needed, all you had to do was hook up the iPod with the USB cable you use when connecting to the computer.
I tried using the USB cable, and it didn't recognize the iPod at all. I threw in the iPod cable I got with my 1 series, and it works as it should.

Thanks,
JT
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

mine came with a cable
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdrivin1 View Post
Hey all... for those that have taken delivery, did your car come with the iPod cable? My CA said that they weren't giving those out anymore because they weren't needed, all you had to do was hook up the iPod with the USB cable you use when connecting to the computer.
I tried using the USB cable, and it didn't recognize the iPod at all. I threw in the iPod cable I got with my 1 series, and it works as it should.

Thanks,
JT
Maybe he was talking about "bluetooth audio streaming" and playing the ipod in the iphone?
      01-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

We have to buy them as an accessory in the UK (approx £36)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
X3amb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Mine did not come with the cable. I just used the origial ipod white usb cable and it does work.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I think your CA is lying to you. First, why should you have to carry the cable with you between car and home, and secondly - unless they have made great changes to the firmware (possible, but hardly BMWesque) you need that Y cable to properly interface with iPod. Otherwise, you're just getting a USB audio device... without the full functionality.

I would re-visit this question with your dealer. There may still be time to imply that this will affect your survey response... that generally gets their attention.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think there is a difference here between the functionality. To simply connect your iPod you can use the standard USB cable that comes with the iPod. The tracks can then be played as they would through an auxillary cable from any external device, i.e. you would need to press buttons on the ipod itself to change tracks.

To get the full functionality and to be able to change the song being played on the car stereo and see the playlists etc, you need an accessory cable that has USB and phono connections.

X3amb can correct me on this one but this is how I understand it.

I'm going to get a 32GB iphone4 and get the media cable which is enhanced for iPhone4 and 3GS. I think this gives you extra stuff like album covers appearing on screen during playback etc.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I think there is a difference here between the functionality. To simply connect your iPod you can use the standard USB cable that comes with the iPod. The tracks can then be played as they would through an auxillary cable from any external device, i.e. you would need to press buttons on the ipod itself to change tracks.

To get the full functionality and to be able to change the song being played on the car stereo and see the playlists etc, you need an accessory cable that has USB and phono connections.

X3amb can correct me on this one but this is how I understand it.

I'm going to get a 32GB iphone4 and get the media cable which is enhanced for iPhone4 and 3GS. I think this gives you extra stuff like album covers appearing on screen during playback etc.
I think you got it spot on Sfax

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
X3amb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

I had icelink for my ipod (used on the 3 and X3). With the regular ipod usb whilte cable I get the same functionality. You can choose albums, playlists, artists, etc., tracks after you make your selection. It takes a couple minutes for the data initially upload to the iDrive when you first connect.

Last edited by X3amb; 01-13-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0