BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
docsportello
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 3.0

45-90 seconds for RPM settle at 600

Greetings

My xDrive28i (N52) 2011 X3 takes a good time to settle down to about 600RPM before I start to move. When I'm driving, with the engine in operating temperature, the idle RPM is about 900.

I read on the forum that there's no problem with just turning the car on and moving without waiting.

Still, in my case, if I don't do that, the creep speed of the vehicle becomes too fast, making the ride in the city uncomfortable (breaking at stop signs, maneuvering, etc.).

Is there anyone that already faced this problem? I have an oil change scheduled for April, and I would like to give some hints to the mechanic on how to fix this strange problem. I read things about transmission fluid, transmission updates, coils, sparks, but I'm currently pretty lost.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsportello View Post
I have an oil change scheduled for April, and I would like to give some hints to the mechanic on how to fix this strange problem.
Regards
Unless you're really good friends with the mechanic, giving them hints on how to fix your vehicle is probably not a good idea
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
docsportello
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Unless you're really good friends with the mechanic, giving them hints on how to fix your vehicle is probably not a good idea
I actually am! Lucky me I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Obvious question but just in case - is it normal? Just trying to warm itself up? I've never owned a car that didn't start up with a higher idle for a while (assuming you didn't just shut it off quite recently, I'm talking ~ overnight storage).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #5
docsportello
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Obvious question, but just in case - is it typical? Just trying to warm itself up? I've never owned a car that didn't start up with a higher idle for a while (assuming you didn't just shut it off quite recently, I'm talking ~ overnight storage).

The initial high idle is perfectly normal, you are right, but in my case, I'm worried about the relation between the creep speed and the wait time for the RPM going down to about 600.

If I don't wait for it, the whole ride is compromised with the high creep speed; it doesn't matter if I'm traveling for 4-5 hours. The car does not seem to "warm-up" and ride normally, and it looks like the only point that matters is that initial warm-up time.
Appreciate 1