BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #23
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT_Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
You do not need to remove the bumper to replace the lower grille. Believe me, it is a lot easier to pop the damaged one out and slide/wedge the new one in as described above by StyleBimma.
I have already removed my bumper twice once to to replace the halogen foglights with LED foglights as fitted standard in the F15 X5 and secondly a parking sensor that was dislodged when it took a direct hit from a stone i have already posted a photo of my bumper off from replacing the foglights on this thread.
Were you successful in removing the front bumper and reusing the clips keeping it in place? I possibly have to replace a control module on one of my headlight and with the headlight in place, can't see anything. Would have to remove to get a better look inside. However, I think there are two clips underneath. Not sure how they're mounted if they're fastened through or slide in, but the bumper would have to be removed to get a better look. Woudl rather get a clear understanding of how things go together than break clips.
To pull a headlight you have to at least loosen the bumper, unless there is some way to get at the bottom of the headlight reaching up through the wheel liner. But if you drop the liner it's only a few more bolts to release the bumper.

There's bolts on the side of the kidney grilles, and some connecting the bumper to fender.

The headlight is held in from the bottom with two bolts. I don't have a photo of the bracket but you can zoom in and should see where they connect.
I concur with 6MT_Addict you will have to remove the bumper as there are another 2 bolts like those on top of the head light that will have to be removed before you can take the headlight out. I also don't have a high resolution photo to show the exact location of the bolts

I did manage to punch out 8 of the 10 plastic pins and re use the rivets but I would suggest purchasing a pack of 10 from a dealer they are not expensive
Attached Images

10-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #24
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT_Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_MAN View Post
Quote:
You do not need to remove the bumper to replace the lower grille. Believe me, it is a lot easier to pop the damaged one out and slide/wedge the new one in as described above by StyleBimma.
I have already removed my bumper twice once to to replace the halogen foglights with LED foglights as fitted standard in the F15 X5 and secondly a parking sensor that was dislodged when it took a direct hit from a stone i have already posted a photo of my bumper off from replacing the foglights on this thread.
Were you successful in removing the front bumper and reusing the clips keeping it in place? I possibly have to replace a control module on one of my headlight and with the headlight in place, can't see anything. Would have to remove to get a better look inside. However, I think there are two clips underneath. Not sure how they're mounted if they're fastened through or slide in, but the bumper would have to be removed to get a better look. Woudl rather get a clear understanding of how things go together than break clips.
To pull a headlight you have to at least loosen the bumper, unless there is some way to get at the bottom of the headlight reaching up through the wheel liner. But if you drop the liner it's only a few more bolts to release the bumper.

There's bolts on the side of the kidney grilles, and some connecting the bumper to fender.

The headlight is held in from the bottom with two bolts. I don't have a photo of the bracket but you can zoom in and should see where they connect.
I concur with 6MT_Addict you will have to remove the bumper as there are another 2 bolts like those on top of the head light that will have to be removed before you can take the headlight out. I also don't have a high resolution photo to show the exact location of the bolts

I did manage to punch out 8 of the 10 plastic pins and re use the rivets but I would suggest purchasing a pack of 10 from a dealer they are not expensive
Yeah the rivets are cheap, you can replace with screws if you want too. I replaced all of mine with new screws/retainers from an E chassis vehicle, PN is the same across many BMWs. If you're only doing a handful though it's cheaper to replace rivets, but if you frequently work on parts of the vehicle it may be worth replacing all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:49 PM   #25
igillott
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Has anyone here replaced stock xline bumpers with M Line, is it just a remove and replace, i.e do they just fit ?
Appreciate 0