BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #2135
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Bit the bullet and ordered the car today!!!
I started off down the 8%-9% discount required + 5.9% APR t0 get me to sign. Ended up agreeing a deal of 10% discount, but only on the basis of using BMW select finance PCP at 7.9% (over 2 years). So with the slightly higher APR, in the end I got around 8% discount on the car. Not many options ordered because I'm concerned about loosing the money on them.

So Spec is X3 3.0d SE, Professional Media, Extended Storage, Sports Steering Wheel, model designation deletion. Oyster Leather, Mineral Silver.
Approx Delivery date- Beginning Oct 2012.

If anyone wants any further details let me know.

Thanks for everyones help so far......
Just had an updated delivery date- now last week of September. Not bad 11 weeks from order to delivery. Maybe to get the figures within Q2.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #2136
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp100 View Post
Is anyone in the UK expecting delivery of their x3 this month/early next?

If so, what dates have you been quoted?

I have been told possible arrival next weekend....
I was contacted by dealer last Friday to say car had landed in UK and to expect delivery this weekend. Went in on Tuesday to choose reg number and looked on their computer which said it should be with dealer at latest by Monday 23rd. They agreed to keep checking and let me know today.
Only had a text this am to ask me to put insurance (BMW 7 day) in case it arrived! but still no date. Rang dealer to say not very impressed at lack of communication especially as they are charging me £700 for this 'service'.
Salesman rang logistics company and said it is on a transporter and should arrive tomorrow but that if it arrives after 3pm tomorrow they will not be able to PDI it and delivery will be Monday.(Presume that workshop is not open Saturday ).

Are other people having similar problems or is this the dealer ?

I can understand that they don't have much control or information whilst in production and on board ship but would have expected that when in the UK there should be a better communication chain between Importers(BMW UK), dealer and customer.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #2137
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post
I was contacted by dealer last Friday to say car had landed in UK and to expect delivery this weekend. Went in on Tuesday to choose reg number and looked on their computer which said it should be with dealer at latest by Monday 23rd. They agreed to keep checking and let me know today.
Only had a text this am to ask me to put insurance (BMW 7 day) in case it arrived! but still no date. Rang dealer to say not very impressed at lack of communication especially as they are charging me £700 for this 'service'.
Salesman rang logistics company and said it is on a transporter and should arrive tomorrow but that if it arrives after 3pm tomorrow they will not be able to PDI it and delivery will be Monday.(Presume that workshop is not open Saturday ).

Are other people having similar problems or is this the dealer ?

I can understand that they don't have much control or information whilst in production and on board ship but would have expected that when in the UK there should be a better communication chain between Importers(BMW UK), dealer and customer.
Mine knew what date it would arrive with them from Thorne about 3 days beforehand, and then needed 3 days to prep the car for delivery but this included a weekend. I think thats OK...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #2138
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Any UK members excitedly expecting any imminent arrivals?!
      07-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #2139
charlie67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Any UK members excitedly expecting any imminent arrivals?!
Yes. Its arrived, just waiting for the registration plate to be transferred from my old car. In the old days, you could do it over the counter, now it takes a week.
      07-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #2140
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie67 View Post
Yes. Its arrived, just waiting for the registration plate to be transferred from my old car. In the old days, you could do it over the counter, now it takes a week.
I feel for you. My dealer did the best it could to try and f**k up my transfer causing a few skipped heartbeats but got there in the end (just). Good luck, I'm sure it will be with you before you know it!
      07-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #2141
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

First Impressions

Took delivery of my new X3 yesterday. My first impression is one of disappointment, this is my sixth BMW and have I enjoyed them and taking delivery of a new car should feel special.
Most disappointing was the quality of finish in the interior, this was much worse than I recalled from the test drive months ago.
The car I drove on the test drive had the standard seats which were thin and lacking in support(not really up to normal BMW standards) so had to get sport seats. I had sport seats in my previous 335d coupe, there is less support in the new X3 than my 6 year old coupe. Side cushions still seem lacking in support.Leather quality poor, feels very cheap and not supple and soft as on previous BMW's.
Dash plastic and door plastics awful, this has been remarked on elsewhere in the forum so I will say no more on this.
Even wiper and indicator stalks feel cheapo and insubstantial.
Tailgate is very stiff and difficult to lift down-my mistake should have gone for powered version.
Unfortunately these are all things that niggle and hit you every time you get in the car. This does not wash for a 40K car.
The whole interior needs revamping, this design is now getting very dated and the quality issues will need to be addressed on future vehicles. The RR evoque was miles ahead on interior design and quality- never thought I would be saying that about a Land Rover!Quality of interior also better on Audi Q5. If BMW don't address these issues I will be looking elsewhere in future.
I- drive was much improved on previous versions but why do they give you a poverty spec version of the screen ?
Its not all negative, this is first BMW that I have not had sports suspension.
Roads in UK now too pot holed and rough for sports suspension. Find SE suspension very good, opted for the 18" alloys and run flats. These seem to improve handling greatly over the 17" alloys on standard tyres on the test car. Was thinking before I was due to take delivery whether I should have gone for adaptive dampers but having driven it think I went for right choice.
Still not quite sure about the 3.0d engine and transmission, I have not driven it very far. Initial impression is that transmission is not that smooth, this may be due to the X drive. My previous car has the 6sp auto so with an 8sp was expecting something better.
As engine not run in hard to judge and I am comparing it to my previous 335d with twin turbo's. I expected it to be less responsive and of course it is.
Panoramic sunroof is a delight (and it was nice to be taking delivery in a rare hot spell) and makes interior very light and airy. An expensive option but worth it. Has the same effect as the sunroof in RR evoque.
Auto stop start is something of a mixed blessing- I can see that it saves you fuel but It can be quite irritating eg at round about when you want to make a quick takeoff.
Still wondering if I made the right choice of vehicle. Not love at first sight but may get better ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #2142
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Still wondering if I made the right choice of vehicle. Not love at first sight but may get better ?
I echo many of the points that you raise, especially with the interior and the lack of quality.

Not sure it gets any better to be honest. If anything the rattles and strange clicks start after the first few days which really get annoying.

At least you got one of the better engines and I believe the wider public are still oblivious to just how average this car really is so resale values are still pretty good should you want to change.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #2143
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
I echo many of the points that you raise, especially with the interior and the lack of quality.

Not sure it gets any better to be honest. If anything the rattles and strange clicks start after the first few days which really get annoying.

At least you got one of the better engines and I believe the wider public are still oblivious to just how average this car really is so resale values are still pretty good should you want to change.
@Gareth: Are you a troll? If I look at your posts, so many of them are complaints or agreement with someone else's complaints about all sorts. Everything from the steering to the rear view mirror dropping to not liking the xenons, not liking the interior to not agreeing with the need to break in the audio. Perhaps you just like to complain a lot. You must give your mrs an earache!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #2144
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Took delivery of my new X3 yesterday. My first impression is one of disappointment, this is my sixth BMW and have I enjoyed them and taking delivery of a new car should feel special.
Most disappointing was the quality of finish in the interior, this was much worse than I recalled from the test drive months ago.
The car I drove on the test drive had the standard seats which were thin and lacking in support(not really up to normal BMW standards) so had to get sport seats. I had sport seats in my previous 335d coupe, there is less support in the new X3 than my 6 year old coupe. Side cushions still seem lacking in support.Leather quality poor, feels very cheap and not supple and soft as on previous BMW's.
Dash plastic and door plastics awful, this has been remarked on elsewhere in the forum so I will say no more on this.
Even wiper and indicator stalks feel cheapo and insubstantial.
Tailgate is very stiff and difficult to lift down-my mistake should have gone for powered version.
Unfortunately these are all things that niggle and hit you every time you get in the car. This does not wash for a 40K car.
The whole interior needs revamping, this design is now getting very dated and the quality issues will need to be addressed on future vehicles. The RR evoque was miles ahead on interior design and quality- never thought I would be saying that about a Land Rover!Quality of interior also better on Audi Q5. If BMW don't address these issues I will be looking elsewhere in future.
I- drive was much improved on previous versions but why do they give you a poverty spec version of the screen ?
Its not all negative, this is first BMW that I have not had sports suspension.
Roads in UK now too pot holed and rough for sports suspension. Find SE suspension very good, opted for the 18" alloys and run flats. These seem to improve handling greatly over the 17" alloys on standard tyres on the test car. Was thinking before I was due to take delivery whether I should have gone for adaptive dampers but having driven it think I went for right choice.
Still not quite sure about the 3.0d engine and transmission, I have not driven it very far. Initial impression is that transmission is not that smooth, this may be due to the X drive. My previous car has the 6sp auto so with an 8sp was expecting something better.
As engine not run in hard to judge and I am comparing it to my previous 335d with twin turbo's. I expected it to be less responsive and of course it is.
Panoramic sunroof is a delight (and it was nice to be taking delivery in a rare hot spell) and makes interior very light and airy. An expensive option but worth it. Has the same effect as the sunroof in RR evoque.
Auto stop start is something of a mixed blessing- I can see that it saves you fuel but It can be quite irritating eg at round about when you want to make a quick takeoff.
Sorry to hear you don't like it.

Tailgate shouldn't be stiff. Mine is easy to close from the inside with a quick pull with one hand. You should get your dealer to take a look.

Agree on the plastics but is it really that big a deal? My take on it is that it's supposed to be more like an off road 4x4 and they don't have quite so much luxury (except Range Rovers). I think it's maybe expecting 5 series quality because of the cost but it's nearer the 3 series really - that said, if you're coming from a 335d and think it's much worse, maybe they should improve it

Surprised by the transmission not being smooth as mine (albeit 20d) is very smooth (aside from the lag) and I've read quite a lot of positive feedback on the X3's 8sp. Might improve after it has been broken in.

Please keep us posted if you think things have improved

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #2145
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
@Gareth: Are you a troll? If I look at your posts, so many of them are complaints or agreement with someone else's complaints about all sorts. Everything from the steering to the rear view mirror dropping to not liking the xenons, not liking the interior to not agreeing with the need to break in the audio. Perhaps you just like to complain a lot. You must give your mrs an earache!
Defintion of a troll (had to look it up as I wasn't clear on what they are in this context):

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

I don't think any of my posts fall under those categories. I'm simply an X3 owner who is disappointed in his purchase. Surely I'm entitled to my opinion?!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #2146
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

I've noticed a few negative comments appear about the X3 interior- without being an expert, I did back to back tests from a Q5 to a X3 and much prefered the X3 interior. The Q5 felt more traditional and the X3 more modern. The Q5 also felt cheap in places i.e. glove compartment door. I did have a look at an X1 last year- now that was a poor interior.
I'm currently driving a Hyundai Santa Fe, which has lots of hard plastics, but once you're driving I'm not aware of them, and everything seems well screwed together. The new Santa Fe, has more 'soft' plastics but they've added £4k onto the list price.

Looking forward to my 30d X3 arrival- but I feel that some options should be standard on a car this price i.e. satnav & electric/ heated seats. Full review to follow in October :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #2147
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Defintion of a troll (had to look it up as I wasn't clear on what they are in this context):

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

I don't think any of my posts fall under those categories. I'm simply an X3 owner who is disappointed in his purchase. Surely I'm entitled to my opinion?!
OK, since you asked for an example, here's one from this very page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685
I believe the wider public are still oblivious to just how average this car really is
posted to a 2nd generation X3 forum where most members are new owners or have an X3 on order. This isn't in any way inflammatory? (BTW since you like definitions, inflammatory means tending to arouse anger, hostility, passion) I’ve read 1000s of posts and it smacks of trolling to me but people can make their own minds up. Perhaps I’m the troll for asking the question.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #2148
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK, since you asked for an example, here's one from this very page:

posted to a 2nd generation X3 forum where most members are new owners or have an X3 on order. This isn't in any way inflammatory? (BTW since you like definitions, inflammatory means tending to arouse anger, hostility, passion) I’ve read 1000s of posts and it smacks of trolling to me but people can make their own minds up. Perhaps I’m the troll for asking the question.
Perhaps we should agree to disagree and not hijack the thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #2149
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps we should agree to disagree and not hijack the thread.
Unfortunately some subjects are ... subjective! Once you start talking about the quality of a product a lot depends of where you have come from i.e. previous vehicles, and also your general outlook on life i.e. glass half full/ empty.
My expectations are high for the X3. I think I'm paying a premium to get a premium product. Hopefully forum comments can provide some balance good and bad. If the comments are consistantly bad then I feel something must be seriously wrong, because the general press reviews are very good to excellent for the X3.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #2150
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately some subjects are ... subjective! Once you start talking about the quality of a product a lot depends of where you have come from i.e. previous vehicles, and also your general outlook on life i.e. glass half full/ empty.
My expectations are high for the X3. I think I'm paying a premium to get a premium product. Hopefully forum comments can provide some balance good and bad. If the comments are consistantly bad then I feel something must be seriously wrong, because the general press reviews are very good to excellent for the X3.
Exactly, its all subjective. I think that balance is the key. I don't rate the X3 but there are plenty on the forum that do. I'm sure new visitors can make their own mind up.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #2151
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not objecting to negative comments. There are 100s of negative comments, many of which are valid and I agree with. I have quite a few gripes of my own, primarily with the paintwork. Hopefully BMW will take notice of some of the negative comments and they will prove constructive in the long term.

There's a difference though between specific complaints based on experience and a statement that infers that somehow everyone who is very happy with their X3 has had the wool pulled over their eyes and can't see its mediocrity.

The other thing that's odd is almost all of these issues would be immediately apparent on a test drive. One wonders why someone would spend £40k+ on a car that they have so much aversion to.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #2152
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The other thing that's odd is almost all of these issues would be immediately apparent on a test drive. One wonders why someone would spend £40k+ on a car that they have so much aversion to.
+1 !!! You have to question a persons judgement if they go on a test drive and still buy a car they think is rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #2153
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
+1 !!! You have to question a persons judgement if they go on a test drive and still buy a car they think is rubbish.
Unfortunately when I was in the market to place the order the dealer only had one X3, a 2.0d base spec car. No other local dealers had 3.0d's either so I had to make the decision to buy based on a test drive of the 2.0d. Not ideal but the reality of the demand and supply situation then.
Yes perhaps I should have spent more time on the interior but as a long term BMW customer I took this for granted as I have never experienced any quality issues before.
It is always a compromise when buying a car, I initially looked at the Evoque but was put off by a bad experience with the LR dealer(this seems to be common) and poor engine choice. Looked at Q5 but although excellent build quality had inferior engines/dynamics compared to X3.
If you read the post I did not say that the car is rubbish, it is class leading in certain areas eg, engines and handling and has been well reviewed by the motoring press.
But it is not a premium product inside the car, perhaps if you are coming from a cheaper car it looks ok but as a long term BMW owner it is a step backwards in quality. Ok it is an improvement on the previous X3 which was rated as one of the worst BMW's in many respects.
With most other manufacturers seeking to improve their products it is a shame that they have sought to cut costs and quality in this area as it spoils the overall ownership experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #2154
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Unfortunately when I was in the market to place the order the dealer only had one X3, a 2.0d base spec car. No other local dealers had 3.0d's either so I had to make the decision to buy based on a test drive of the 2.0d. Not ideal but the reality of the demand and supply situation then.
Yes perhaps I should have spent more time on the interior but as a long term BMW customer I took this for granted as I have never experienced any quality issues before.
It is always a compromise when buying a car, I initially looked at the Evoque but was put off by a bad experience with the LR dealer(this seems to be common) and poor engine choice. Looked at Q5 but although excellent build quality had inferior engines/dynamics compared to X3.
If you read the post I did not say that the car is rubbish, it is class leading in certain areas eg, engines and handling and has been well reviewed by the motoring press.
But it is not a premium product inside the car, perhaps if you are coming from a cheaper car it looks ok but as a long term BMW owner it is a step backwards in quality. Ok it is an improvement on the previous X3 which was rated as one of the worst BMW's in many respects.
With most other manufacturers seeking to improve their products it is a shame that they have sought to cut costs and quality in this area as it spoils the overall ownership experience.
Just 2c from the other part of Europe - I currently drive e60 (for the last week) 6 cilinder inline petrol engine and when I test drove F25 a couple of times (last time before ordering it) I was impressed by F25 interior "quality" (not sure that you actualy mean by this word, therefore I put it in between the quotation marks). One issue that is not so clear to me is quality of leather when I compare it to my current car (and I am only talking about the appearance, as I do not have my new car yet) - the leather interior and its' general condition in my 7 years old 5-serries is very good. There is one F25 in my work's garage and the leather indeed looks a bit 'flat', if I may say so - it is not as puffed-up as in my e60, but as such I am not in a possition to say that it is of inferior quality compared to my current car - it just looks (that f25 has standard seats) that leather was put straight on wood/plastic frame with not enough soft material in between. But this does not say better or worse quality. All other aspects of cabin appearance is much, much better in F25 than in E60, IMHO.
Could you be more specific what do you mean by "quality"?

Last edited by mooney058; 07-25-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #2155
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
I was impressed by F25 interior "quality" (not sure that you actualy mean by this word, therefore I put it in between the quotation marks).
It's usually a reference to the type of materials used being cheaper than on other models. E.g. the plastic on the doors.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #2156
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
It's usually a reference to the type of materials used being cheaper than on other models. E.g. the plastic on the doors.
usually, maybe. I have test drove also q5 and evoque - somehow door plastics did not cought my attention. I understand this is what was implied by the person who wrote about the quality - it was not an issue for me, so I wanted to understand how the other person perceived 'lower quality'
Appreciate 0