BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

X3 Winter performance

I've been the owner of my F25 M Sport for 4 weeks and now that the frosty mornings are here have been using the defrost equipment. Initial observations are that the engine heats up very quickly compared to my previous Volvo XC60. Heated seats are excellent and the front window defrosts in no time at all. One slight critisim is that the rear window defrosting element only works on the area of the wiper sweep and leaves a significant part of the rear screen frosted. Not sure why this is the case as the cost of routing the heating elements across the whole screen would not be significant so is it some kind of design feature?

I've yet to test the capability of the AWD system in the snow and have decided not to fit snow tyres (hoping thats not a mistake). It would be interesting to hear how everyone else feels about the car.

BTW The active bendy xenons are excellent as is the high beam assistance.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I've been parking outside more often this year and have been really enjoying the heated steering wheel on chilly days.
      12-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

I am on the northeast in the US and I am also holding out till I put on winter tires. I don't have much expectations for the Goodyear Eagle tires but I need to give my wallet a break before I pull the trigger on a set of wheels and winter tires. Plus if it's anything like last year we won't even get that much snow over here.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

The rear window defroster is working as designed. I too wish that it covered more of the window.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

You can see my winter driving video in the photo/video section of this forum.

Notes so far:

+ Very good to drive on snow and ice
+ seat heaters are effective, even the lowest option is too much heat for my ass to be kept on for long drives
+ rear window and side mirror heaters are effective
+ no interior squeaks even though it has been almost -20 Celsius outside, also suspension works well

- the windscreen makes noise when there is ice and snow on the bottom part of the windscreen , sort of "under" the wipers. though it makes noise only when it is at least -12 Celsius outside and you hit a bump or pothole
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

The rear window heating element only heats the area of the wiper swipe but there are more of what look like "elements". My previous Volvo had similar and these were actually the aerial for the DAB is the BMW the same?
Appreciate 0