BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Creaking sound in the headliner

Now that the colder weather is here I have developed a REAL annoying creaking coming from what I think is the plastic insert in the headliner above the right side rear passenger seat. It only happens when the sunroof sunshade is closed all the way. I have an appointment with the dealer next week. Anyone else have that sound?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i think i have similar issue, i think its the sunroof. i hear it alot on uneven or rough roads. sometimes goin over a manhole
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
swag
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

+1
The colder weather makes the plastics more brittle and squeaky.
It's definitely the plastic divider piece in the panoramic sunroof.
Weather just turned to 30's in the morning here.
Not an issue once it's warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
groovyone789
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 xdrive40i

Happened to me for the first time this morning. Opened and closed the sunroof and it stopped. Maybe give that a try.

Btw, month-long lurker here, got a 2013 X3 28i Space Gray/Oyster/Wave wood
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

This just started happening to me as well. I think its the plastic piece that divides the panoramic moonroof.

Edit: Guess you guys know what it is. Please let me know if the dealer fixes it or you find a fix
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i will find out next week,
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Same problem. Plastic piece between the glass makes noise over bumps and it even makes the sound on hard turns. I already took it to the dealer and they added some felt tape. Fixed the problem for one whole day and now it's back. Not going to bring it back so soon so going to have to deal with the noise. The sunshade muffles the sound somewhat so I have it closed for now.

I've been less than impressed with the interior of the X3 compared to all my previous vehicles. It's quite literally a symphony of snap, crackle and pop in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
ttvparker
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Now that the colder weather is here I have developed a REAL annoying creaking coming from what I think is the plastic insert in the headliner above the right side rear passenger seat. It only happens when the sunroof sunshade is closed all the way. I have an appointment with the dealer next week. Anyone else have that sound?
When I bought my X3 in Aug, I had a similar creaking sound coming from my sunroof. Apparently it was installed incorrectly from the factory. Check out my YT video. Its pretty clear. They actually had to take it out and put it back in correctly. Took a few days to fix. May be a similar issue.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyone789 View Post
Happened to me for the first time this morning. Opened and closed the sunroof and it stopped. Maybe give that a try.

Btw, month-long lurker here, got a 2013 X3 28i Space Gray/Oyster/Wave wood
I'll give that a try. But I listened to the video and mine doesn't sound like that but of course I'm listening thru my cpu external audio system. I have tried pushing up on that center plastic piece and it seems to be in there pretty solid and doesn't make any noises. The reason i think it's that plastic piece in the headliner is i can push up on it if I'm sitting in the back seat and it makes a similar noise. I just need to have somone in the back seat while i'm driving to verify that's it. Just been too busy and i just closed the sunshade to not hear it. It's going to the dealer this week to fix it....hopefullly. AND that annoying creak in the center console armrest when I apply pressure to the top of it like wehen I get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttvparker View Post
When I bought my X3 in Aug, I had a similar creaking sound coming from my sunroof. Apparently it was installed incorrectly from the factory. Check out my YT video. Its pretty clear. They actually had to take it out and put it back in correctly. Took a few days to fix. May be a similar issue.

thats how mine sound when im driving
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
PaulaB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Creaking sound and dismissive BMW dealer

I am also having the extremely annoying creaking/popping sound related to the plastic piece in the panoramic sunroof of my 2013 xDrive 35i. The dealer (Leith in Raleigh, NC) has seen the vehicle 3 times and it is still making noise and it is driving me crazy (closing the cover helps but I can still hear it at times). The service advisor started out friendly and now is dismissive and unhelpful. Although he said he didn't see what help it would be, he said he was ordering another plastic piece two weeks ago and there has been no communication since. This morning I left a message for the Service Manager and no call back yet.

From what I have read on this forum, the fix at this point seems to be a new sunroof cassette, as it appears the original was not installed properly. Has anyone else had or is anyone having this problem currently? It is very frustrating and the level of service I am receiving for a car that costs over $55k is completely unacceptable. I have documented the noise, as well as my attempts to get it fixed, and need to determine the best way to escalate at this point. Any help or guidance is sincerely appreciated!
Appreciate 0