BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Rattling up front

I have a strange rattle coming from the front of the car that I can't seem to track down. It makes the noise when going over even the slightest bumps, like the bot dots dividing the lane. Sounds like it could be suspension or maybe struts. Or maybe steering? I had one mechanic look at it and he though maybe the sway bar links. But wasn't sure. I hate to just start replacing items without knowing that would solve it. The control arms were replaced two years ago so don't think that's it.

Anybody have any experience with this type of rattle? It a low frequency sound and kind of shutters when running over the smallest imperfection in the road. If the pavement is perfectly smooth, it doesn't do it.

Thanks for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
X3MS
MARANATHA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 M-Sport

Yeah, it can really be a pain to pin down front end noise. If it was me, I would begin with checking any bushings that have not been replaced in a while. It could even be the engine sub-frame bolts needing to be re-torqued.

Try asking over at Bimmerfest E83 Forum too, someone might have been through the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Thanks for the advice. The oil pan was resealed and it seems to have started rattling a little after that. I think they needed to drop the subframe to get access, so maybe it has something to do with that? The car has about 100,000 miles and it's a 2008.
Appreciate 0