BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

Does anyone know why BMW...(complain alert)

...continues to have the ventilation temperature control rotary switch located on the center console as part of the vehicle's temperature control system? I mean, isn't already sufficient that there is a digital temperature control which intuitively makes it much more simple to operate without reading the owner's manual like most cars in the world today? Why is it that the system needs to be told that if the setting is set to say above 75 deg F, that the air has to be warm and not cold? Who in their right mind wants the temperature set to say 80 deg F, and still wants the air to be cool or not what 80 deg F should feel like?

Sorry for the rant, but today I learned about this switch on my first ever BMW, which made me look like tool when I asked my dealer about a possible defect on the heater system of my 2 month old 2016 X3 where the air is hot only on the maximum position (84 deg F) but goes cool even when the temp control switch is moved just to 83 deg F. Being a former mechanic, I swear there was something wrong with the temperature control mechanism, but apparently you have to move this stupid rotary switch to the blue side so that you'll get the other variations of heat other than extra hot. I've owned and driven many cars in the past, including a 2005 3 series by an ex-girlfriend and I remember seeing this switch which I never knew what it was for, but I swear BMW is the only manufacturer to have this non-sensical rotary switch that serves no real purpose (unless someone can make a very good argument why it needs to be there). For a car manufacturer that prides itself for being high tech in every aspect of automobile engineering, perhaps it needs to also consider applying the KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid!) principle. Thanks for listening
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

It is to give you control of a flow of air over your face to a temperature of your choosing. Very simple and extremely effective in my view.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
It is to give you control of a flow of air over your face to a temperature of your choosing. Very simple and extremely effective in my view.
yep.... as he says
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I pretty much leave it on cold all year. I don't like blowing heat in my face in winter.. makes me groggy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Absolutely.

I hate being in other cars that don't have this, just because I want the cabin warm doesn't mean I want hot air blowing in my face.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

I actually like this. You can control the air temp that comes out of the middle two vents separately. In the fall I might like warmer air blowing at my feet so I set the temp to 78, but then cooler air at my body so I turn that to the "blue". It's a neat feature but probably not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

+1 to everyone's replies. I love this feature and wish it was on all vehicles. Nice to be able to control the temp of the air blowing on my face while the cabin is maintained at my desired temperature.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
+1 to everyone's replies. I love this feature and wish it was on all vehicles. Nice to be able to control the temp of the air blowing on my face while the cabin is maintained at my desired temperature.
Same here, it is what takes the BMW HVAC system to a higher level, IMO, more suited to personal preferences. The ability to set a cabin temperature and also have face flows tweaked to suit the season and/or user requirements.

Good feature. Well done BMW for keeping it.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Dear BMW

Give me my damn REST button back.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

i personally love it cause i don't have to have extremely hot air blowing on my face. makes it much more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #11
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

I don't mind the dial. In theory it should be like every other fully automatic system if left in the middle. I just wish the automatic temperature control worked better. In my old Infiniti I just set the temperature to 74 and it always seemed to do the right thing. In my BMW I get in the car on a sweltering hot day and the AC doesn't kick itself up to full blast. I have to push the "max AC" button to get that. I shouldn't need to.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobx View Post
I don't mind the dial. In theory it should be like every other fully automatic system if left in the middle. I just wish the automatic temperature control worked better. In my old Infiniti I just set the temperature to 74 and it always seemed to do the right thing. In my BMW I get in the car on a sweltering hot day and the AC doesn't kick itself up to full blast. I have to push the "max AC" button to get that. I shouldn't need to.
Agree, the thumbwheel in mid position leaves the system like most automatic systems.

Remember the auto intensity settings will influence the way the speed picks up with cooling (and warming) function. I personally run my 5-series system on the lowest intensity, in my Scottish climate only occasionally do I need to hit MAX to get faster cooling.

BMW models used to run up to speed much faster, later models introduced the intensity levels and I'm sure the ECO drive has influenced the way we have a slower response anyway.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #13
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

Wow...I learned something new. First is the fact that people finds this function useful, second it may actually have been developed to meet the needs of certain individuals wanting different temperatures of certain part of their bodies. Third is the fact that the center position makes the system more like other cars, which is what I'll definitely leave mine on. Thanks everyone for educating me and I apologize to those who really loved this function whom I might have offended when I called it stupid. The last thing I learned is that ignorance can definitely lead into bad conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #14
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Took me a while to come to grips with it as well. Ultimately I have come to value that feature the very few times I've had to use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I never notice it, until I am in something other than a BMW, then I really, really miss it.

My Audi is crap, I have to have the centre blowers off because it is either too hot or too cold blowing in my face.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #16
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Dear BMW

Give me my damn REST button back.
What he said! REST button FTW!

Oh, and the "adjuster" knob - awesome, keep it BMW! It works as advertised and makes my commute so much more bearable!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #17
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAG View Post
Wow...I learned something new. First is the fact that people finds this function useful, second it may actually have been developed to meet the needs of certain individuals wanting different temperatures of certain part of their bodies. Third is the fact that the center position makes the system more like other cars, which is what I'll definitely leave mine on. Thanks everyone for educating me and I apologize to those who really loved this function whom I might have offended when I called it stupid. The last thing I learned is that ignorance can definitely lead into bad conclusions.
God Bless. My wife still doesn't get it, lol

Just know that BMW does it right while other companies are straight garbage.
Appreciate 0