BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Snow Tire Recommendations?

Does anyone have snow tires they are particularly fond of?

I'm looking for something that will be decent, and not too noisy, on dry pavement and also good at moderate snow. I live in Toronto and have to be able to get to work, even in a snow storm, but we are not exactly at the Arctic Cirlce. Most we get is about 30-40cm (12-15") in any given snow storm.

Also, should I go 17" or 18" (my car's summer wheels are 19" but I know I should probably go slightly smaller for winters... TireRack seems to recommend 17" but they might look a little underwhelming).

Also, if anyone has any ideas for nice (non-BMW) wheels for a Space Grey X3 I'd love to know

Price isn't my main consideration, but I'm not looking for super-high-end gear either.
      10-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Different types of winter tires highlight different types of winter performance characteristics.

I ordered both of these from Tires23 in Mississauga and put them on factory 18" wheels that I got off Kijiji.

My dad and I have the same car so we have the benefit of being able to compare the performance of these tires back to back.

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge – very good in deep snow. On ice it’s mediocre, on rain I’d say no complaints. In the dry it’s noisy and should not be considered a handling/pavement tire. Q rated, if I remember correctly. Being that these are softer rubber I don't think it will last as long as one with a harder compound but I personally went with these as it's my wife's primary vehicle and would be more comfortable in making it home in severe weather as opposed to getting stuck somewhere.

Hankook Winter W310 – Not as good in deep snow, but quieter and better in rain and dry as it’s more of a highway tire. H rated.

You could get the typical Blizzak or Michelin Alpin tire but they're generally the same - they trade off one aspect of performance for another. Either way, any winter tire is better than any all season.

Last edited by pokerface; 10-05-2015 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Tires23 is my goto Tire place even though I live nowhere near Mississauga! Their prices are unbeatable in the GTA!

Thanks for the recommendations. Going to check those out.
      10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Check out date of manufacture - they should be of 2015 - otherwise old rubber and - possibly - old design. If they can`t tell you - don`t buy.

Tests of wintertires for 2015 (three Swedish and one Finnish) are not yet out - will be in about a month.

Leading tires - studded AND non studded - for the last years have been Continental and Hakkapeliitta. Pirellis, Michelins and Good Years also get high marks.

Check out AEZ Yacht on Google.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport has served me well. You just need to make sure that the rubber has enough heat. I've warmed up my tires with a blow torch and it's been fine for local drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a summer high performance not expected to run at temp less than 41 degrees.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sport has served me well. You just need to make sure that the rubber has enough heat. I've warmed up my tires with a blow torch and it's been fine for local drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a summer high performance not expected to run at temp less than 41 degrees.
I understand that, but the reason it is not expected to be run at a temp of less than 41F is because the rubber isn't warm enough.

If the rubber is warm enough, then you're good to go. I've used the blow torch method when I needed it in a pinch. If I am not in a rush, I usually put 4 space heaters next to the tires overnight and I've had no trouble with rain, snow, or ice for the past 2 winters using that method.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Common sense says to me - get PA4 or ice X tires.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

As an aside, for those of us who run two sets of tires a year, I'm just wondering when my current all seasons are due for replacement, why not get summers instead? all seasons are a compromise tire, and since I'm using winters anyway, why not use tires that were designed for the season that I would be driving them in?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 05:35 AM   #10
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

You'd compromise fuel economy and risk getting caught in a snow or ice storm in the wrong tires.. unless you run with winters a bit longer than you would otherwise with all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I've just swap the tyres on my 19in and have Pirelli Sottozero series 2. Recommended by BMW and fine in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
You'd compromise fuel economy and risk getting caught in a snow or ice storm in the wrong tires.. unless you run with winters a bit longer than you would otherwise with all seasons.
It's a factor, I suppose, but not really a major one IMO. Also, living on the West Coast, luckily we don't have any of those things really first of all. That risk is the same as anyone who runs summers and winters anyway, and I've not heard of anyone shy away from summers because of that...

My 535 wagon came with summer RFT's for example. BMW doesn't put all seasons on all their AWD cars because of that logic.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #13
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
BMW doesn't put all seasons on all their AWD cars because of that logic.
hmm - I actually thought that was the other way around (xdrives automatically lose the summer option by default, and you get a ton of disclaimers if you wanted the summers). But OK!

Anyway, I agree it's on the owner to be adequately equipped for the weather conditions. For me, I always thought that the braking on the F25 was not confidence inspiring. When I put on the summer performance tires, that confidence has been restored.. even my wife appreciates the gains.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
hmm - I actually thought that was the other way around (xdrives automatically lose the summer option by default, and you get a ton of disclaimers if you wanted the summers). But OK!

Anyway, I agree it's on the owner to be adequately equipped for the weather conditions. For me, I always thought that the braking on the F25 was not confidence inspiring. When I put on the summer performance tires, that confidence has been restored.. even my wife appreciates the gains.
you've got a point there… I bought the 535 used, so I don't know if it was spec'd out differently than a typical order, and maybe that's why it came with summers. I only put 10,000 km's a year on that car, so I wasn't too worried about the lower tread life.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
S-P335xi
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Does someone runs Hakkapelita 8 with studs ? for my x3 35
      10-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #16
Crash Test
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

For last winter I used Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 for my Toronto winter and was pleased with them. They were drastically better than the Goodyear Eagle LS2 all-season tires that came with the car in terms of performance on snow and ice. They also were quieter and rode smoother that the Goodyears, without any noticeable loss of performance in dry conditions. I ordered them from Costco and had to wait a few weeks.

Since they are non run flat I purchased a bottle of slime and keep it in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
For last winter I used Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 for my Toronto winter and was pleased with them. They were drastically better than the Goodyear Eagle LS2 all-season tires that came with the car in terms of performance on snow and ice. They also were quieter and rode smoother that the Goodyears, without any noticeable loss of performance in dry conditions. I ordered them from Costco and had to wait a few weeks.

Since they are non run flat I purchased a bottle of slime and keep it in the trunk.
I'm also going that route, but getting the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's in non run flat myself from Costco, along with a slime kit. Costco actually sells the PA4's in run flat form, but they're $350 a pop, vs $250 for the Blizzaks!

The Blizzaks have a pretty good rating, though PA4's are higher, but that's for the regular PA4's don't forget. PA4 run flats on the other hand, I would guess would rate lower since they are inherently made from a harder rubber compound. Look at how the PA2 RFT's rate (bottom line of the survey).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #18
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
I'm also going that route, but getting the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's in non run flat myself from Costco, along with a slime kit.
I'm not a fan of slime kits. They can be awfully hard to work with and often don't work on cold, snowy winter days - been there, done that.

Quote:
The Blizzaks have a pretty good rating, though PA4's are higher, but that's for the regular PA4's don't forget.
BMW is flogging the Pirelli W210 Sottozero Series II for the X3. Based on information in the chart not many people like them. I like the rating on the PA4's and will likely head that way once I find a set of rims at a good price.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #19
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
I'm not a fan of slime kits. They can be awfully hard to work with and often don't work on cold, snowy winter days - been there, done that.

BMW is flogging the Pirelli W210 Sottozero Series II for the X3. Based on information in the chart not many people like them. I like the rating on the PA4's and will likely head that way once I find a set of rims at a good price.
Interesting, hadn't come across that, and when googling it now, I hardly see a lot of hits from people complaining about it. Supposedly, The operational temperature for it is -37 C to 82 C. What issues did you have with it? Are you saying you actually used it for a flat and it didn't plug it? What was the temperature like?

Fortunately, living on the West Coast, it doesn't get that cold, and during our weekend drives up to the mountains, at any point, we are no more than 45 minutes away from a city at most.

If you're going with RFT's, why not get the PA4's then? They're cheaper than the Pirelli's, and seemed to have a much better rating according to that survey.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #20
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Interesting, hadn't come across that, and when googling it now, I hardly see a lot of hits from people complaining about it....... Are you saying you actually used it for a flat and it didn't plug it? What was the temperature like?
Yes, not only didn't it plug the leak, the propellant was so cold that it froze water which had accumulated in the valve from melting snow. Once the valve froze nothing would pass through it making repair impossible. Of course being -17oC on a road filled with snow and ice didn't help the matter any! I also remember having to remove my gloves in order to attached can of slime to the tire valve. This lead to very cold, if not frost bitten fingers.

Quote:
If you're going with RFT's, why not get the PA4's then? They're cheaper than the Pirelli's, and seemed to have a much better rating according to that survey.
I'm pretty sure that's the way I'll be going. I'm heading out this evening to look at a set of used 307 rims. If they're in good shape I'll be picking them up for use with these tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #21
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
im thinking of purchasing new Contis DW06, new tire with great rating by tirerack
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Results from two Swedish and one Finnish magazine for 2015/16 are out. They test about 10 different criteria. Note: manufactured during 2015.

Non-studded:
-Conti Viking Contact 6
-Hakkapeliita R2
-Pirelli Ice Zero FR
-Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2
-Michelin X-ice X13

Studded:
-Hakkapeliita 8
-Continental Ice Contact 2
-Pirelli Ice Zero

That is just about the same result as last year, so if tire manufactured during 2014, you could buy that if discount.
Appreciate 0