BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Navigation system Professional.

I'm a little puzzled by the operation of the Navi system in my 2016 X3. The system was ordered with and I can confirm that it has Live Traffic updates however data received from the updates doesn't seem to be effective as the Navi system always guides me along the busiest route - no suggested alternatives.

Case in point; Across the top of the GTA are two highways, the 401 and the 407. The 401 is a free road, the 407 a toll road. At the start point of my route (Mississauga to Pickering) the two highways are only a kilometer or so apart. During rush hour, the time of my travel, highway 401, in comparison to highway 407, is always very slow between Mississauga and the Don Valley Parkway. The Navi system is set to use toll roads however it continually directs me to the 401. If I ignore the Navi system and enter the 407 at the west end of my trip the Navi system directs me back to the 401 at each major crossroad.

When traffic on the 401 is heavy why does the Navi system direct me there instead of the 407. I thought manually selecting an optional route would do the trick however any optional route offered by the system directs me back to the 401. Is there a way to override this behaviour?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
ecsw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 xdrive 28i

Under navi option (knob to the right), I believe there is an option to show Traffic information in different colors.

It will show red/yellow/green on the map indicating how busy/slow the traffic condition is and it's been accurate so far for me.

If you set a destination and there are red or traffic incident in the city you are travelling, it should show a list of alternative routes available to select from but it's up to you to decide to stay or take the re-route.

It saved me twice so far on my way down to Seattle where it gave me the option/time could possibly saved with re-route.

under normal driving without destination set, it also gave me warning for accidents/road works around my surrendering within few km, but it doesnt come up often for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsw View Post
Under navi option (knob to the right), I believe there is an option to show Traffic information in different colors.

It will show red/yellow/green on the map indicating how busy/slow the traffic condition is and it's been accurate so far for me.
I'm aware of that and find for the most part it works well.

Quote:
If you set a destination and there are red or traffic incident in the city you are travelling, it should show a list of alternative routes available to select from but it's up to you to decide to stay or take the re-route.
When I look at the alternative routes, I find they always direct me back to the 401!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:

Hi. In the UK this is known as RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information) and is set according to whether or not you have paid the 1 year subscription in the Connecteddrive facility. It is free (complimentary) for the first 3 years of the vehicles life in the UK once it has been registered with the Connecteddrive facility in the idrive and also the account registered with BMW.

Quote:

It saved me twice so far on my way down to Seattle where it gave me the option/time could possibly saved with re-route.

under normal driving without destination set, it also gave me warning for accidents/road works around my surrendering within few km, but it doesnt come up often for me.
You can also set in the menu "enable dynamic routing". This stops the options of different route options being displayed and the Sat Nav will divert you round the obstacles/hold ups. The system will also warn you by saying " Your route has been recalculated due to traffic conditions". I find this is very useful especially on our dense road network where there are many hold ups.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Graham B
Rep
Drives: F25X3xDrive20dSE

Inaccurate position

Raising another question on the Navigation System.

I have found that when I reach a junction to turn left or right, the Sat Nav shows it as being another 20 yards. Is this normal? The systems have been much more accurate on other cars and of course on TomTom etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham B View Post
Raising another question on the Navigation System.

I have found that when I reach a junction to turn left or right, the Sat Nav shows it as being another 20 yards. Is this normal? The systems have been much more accurate on other cars and of course on TomTom etc.
Humm. I would call it slightly sluggish. To counteract this I have the split screen on that shows junctions and roundabouts in pictorial form. Makes navigating just that much easier and less chance of missing turnings.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
In the UK this is known as RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information) and is set according to whether or not you have paid the 1 year subscription in the Connecteddrive facility.
It goes by the same name here in Canada and seems to follow the same subscription structure as the UK, albeit wasn't free for the first six months.

Quote:
You can also set in the menu "enable dynamic routing". This stops the options of different route options being displayed and the Sat Nav will divert you round the obstacles/hold ups. The system will also warn you by saying " Your route has been recalculated due to traffic conditions". I find this is very useful especially on our dense road network where there are many hold ups.
Thank you for explaining this. I've had the vehicle since May, been back to the dealer twice asking what dynamic routing does only to be told "it's better to leave it off". Interesting that neither dealer presentative provided this explanation. I can't remember where its set at the moment but I think the next time I'm heading to Pickering from Mississauga I will ensure that it's on.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
It goes by the same name here in Canada and seems to follow the same subscription structure as the UK, albeit wasn't free for the first six months.

Thank you for explaining this. I've had the vehicle since May, been back to the dealer twice asking what dynamic routing does only to be told "it's better to leave it off". Interesting that neither dealer presentative provided this explanation. I can't remember where its set at the moment but I think the next time I'm heading to Pickering from Mississauga I will ensure that it's on.
Unsurprisingly, many UK dealers are not up to speed on these functions and do not have time to digest all the information that makes the BMW Sat Nav so good. My local BMW friendly Master Technician asked me if I had time to teach people, but I declined because I am now retired completely.

When I have some time I will update this post and take a picture of the settings, unless someone beats me to it.

Edited. Self explanatory.

Last edited by Peter_R; 10-05-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When I have some time I will update this post and take a picture of the settings, unless someone beats me to it.
That would be very helpful. Look forward to seeing them.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
From our previous investigation of this subject matter ("How to Emulate a Garmin" thread), my recollection is that - after entering the destination - it's a simple matter of pressing the Voice Entry button and saying "Split Screen Arrow View" - right?

When not actually navigating, simply press the Voice Command button and say "Split Screen Off" or "Split Screen Perspective View" depending upon your preference.

Bottom Line: it is calling up the Arrow View during Navigating that makes all the difference . . .
Right?
      10-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
That would be very helpful. Look forward to seeing them.
Look at previous post. I edited it whilst you were posting.

Kimo

No! Sorry we are now on a different subject.

Last edited by Peter_R; 10-05-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0