BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Graham B
Rep
Drives: F25X3xDrive20dSE

Variable Damper Control and other extras - A transformation

I know the pros and cons of VDC have been discussed before, but for anyone considering this option I can add my experience.

I owned an F25 X3 xdrive 20D SE with standard suspension and found the ride to be harsh on sections of our badly maintained roads.

I have now taken delivery of a replacement of the same model, fitted with VDC. The transformation is incredible. On rough roads the ride is so much smoother. Even when selecting Sport Mode the ride is more controlled than on the standard model. The whole suspension set up is much more refined. At £940 it is money well spent. On a car costing around £40,000 with extras, it's less that 2.5% of the value, but makes a good car great, because it also includes the Performance Control.

Another extra I added was the Variable Sport Steering. This makes the steering so much crisper and keeping the car on course is considerably easier, allowing you to sit back and relax.

I also changed from the standard seats to the Sport Seats. These are much more comfortable, due to the greater range of adjustments.

I hope these observations may be helpful to others.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Welcome to the club.

Because of bad roads, you, probably, can`t lower it - that would have been next step.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Cobstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

Hi Graham,
Interesting to hear your feedback on VDC. I've got it on my 125i MSport and as you say even in Sport the ride is much more comfortable than in the previous era 125d the SO had.

The SO has recently bought a 2011 X3 SE on 17" wheels without VDC and I find that really soft and wallowy compared to the cars I've had recently. It has standard seats too - with electric adjustment - and they're very comfortable - but from what you say the sports seats are even better.

Will be interested to hear how you get on in the longer term with your new X3.

Will have to start drawing up the wish list for the next X-car then.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
I've got VDC on mine and would agree on most points except that both modes could be a little former without losing ride comfort.
Appreciate 0