BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Initially I preferred Nokian 245/50r18 RFT.
For Canada, the only distributor is Kal Tire.
WRA3( V rated, I believe), Hakka R2 (R rated)
Tax in instal/balanced is $1,740 & $1,932 respectively.
Since these are not normally stocked, there is an additional charge appx $30/ tire as they need to be shipped from the US warehouse. The WRA3 and R2's are can be from 2013, and the wra3 could even be a "couple" years old.

Old rubber, with surcharge, steered me away.
Going with Pirelli Sottozero II RFT 100 H rated (210), tax in bal $1855. Readily stocked and no surcharge, hopefully 2014 DOT. Also, $70 rebate with Pirelli, none yet with Nokian.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #24
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

They make even 20" Hakka R2s. But they are regular tyres, non-RFT.

I have non-RFTs in my car and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #25
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Since these are not normally stocked, there is an additional charge appx $30/ tire as they need to be shipped from the US warehouse. The WRA3 and R2's are can be from 2013, and the wra3 could even be a "couple" years old.

Going with Pirelli Sottozero II RFT 100 H rated (210), tax in bal $1855. Readily stocked and no surcharge, hopefully 2014 DOT. Also, $70 rebate with Pirelli, none yet with Nokian.
You know that Pirellis are from China?

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037961
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #26
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
You know that Pirellis are from China?

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037961
I do now, thanks Rodion.
Previously, I liked the NOK's so much that I had 3 sets.
Actually the WRA3 for Europe are rated Winter and on the Nokiantyres web site it says not to be used in summer. The WRA3 is not on the North American website Nokiantires. The NOK rep says the wra3 can be used year round despite the same rubber compound. However the WRG3 is a different compound that Europe, and is year round use in NAmerica. Another words since WRa3 is not listed on the NA website, it is not popular, hard to get and they cannot verify the DOT before I order. The Hakka R2's are also special order from the US.

I didn't want to pay premium price for 2 to 3 yr old rubber. Also, if I need a spare it takes probably 2 weeks from the Vermont warehouse. Pirelli being OEM is readily available locally from many sources including dealer.

Now for my X5 the 19's RFT are stocked in Canada and for that I will pick Hakka R2 SUV over Pirelli, Scorpions. Apparently the sole importer of NOK in Canada says they sell a lot of 19 Hakka SUV R2, mostly non-run flat. Too bad that I feel that it is so many layers of difficulty in getting 18" NOK, it is simply not popular.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #27
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

For those who are interested in what country a tire is made:
Consumers Report have a good explanation why they do not report the country of origin for every tire test. One example is that the origin maybe split in numerous countries. I can vouch that from my Goodyear Eagles RFT oem LS2 that my 18's are mfg in Germany whereas my 19's are made in USA. CR did state: "More importantly, all highway tires with a DOT serial code must meet minimum government performance standards and major tire companies define and implement stringent quality control standards on their tires no matter where the tire is made."
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...made/index.htm

For those interested in wheel certification:
On a similar note: My non OEM wheels are TUV certified, as I understand whilst made in Malaysia.
http://www.tuv.com/en/corporate/busi...els_tires.html
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596608
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #28
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
I do now, thanks Rodion.
Previously, I liked the NOK's so much that I had 3 sets.
Actually the WRA3 for Europe are rated Winter and on the Nokiantyres web site it says not to be used in summer. The WRA3 is not on the North American website Nokiantires. The NOK rep says the wra3 can be used year round despite the same rubber compound. However the WRG3 is a different compound that Europe, and is year round use in NAmerica. Another words since WRa3 is not listed on the NA website, it is not popular, hard to get and they cannot verify the DOT before I order. The Hakka R2's are also special order from the US.

I didn't want to pay premium price for 2 to 3 yr old rubber. Also, if I need a spare it takes probably 2 weeks from the Vermont warehouse. Pirelli being OEM is readily available locally from many sources including dealer.

Now for my X5 the 19's RFT are stocked in Canada and for that I will pick Hakka R2 SUV over Pirelli, Scorpions. Apparently the sole importer of NOK in Canada says they sell a lot of 19 Hakka SUV R2, mostly non-run flat. Too bad that I feel that it is so many layers of difficulty in getting 18" NOK, it is simply not popular.
Ok, you are educated consumer. I agree with you that one shouldn't have to buy 2 to 3 years old rubber as "new" from the dealer. It is a shame that the logistics and poor dealerhandling in NA means lost customers for Nokian Tyres.

In here I have never heard anyone getting that old rubber from dealers as a new tyre.

I just also want to point out that in here Pirelli's winter tyres without studs are rarely performing well in tests. As you can see from the test I posted in the other thread, even the Chinese brand tyre performs better overall. Though it is notable that tests here are emphasizing the wintery conditions.

About the manufacturing country: I am aware of several certificates as I am myself Quality Manager (not in Nokian Tyres I have to say), and I have experienced first hand offshoring labour-intensive high-tech manufacturing to China.

Let's say I have my doubts I drive German car (though manufactured in the USA!), I wear Swiss mechanical wristwatch, home appliances are manufactured in Germany and the elevator at our office and at our apartment house is manufactured in Finland. When it comes to safety, I use my own judgment and experience. Even though it might be too expensive compared to risk levels, but I don't mind paying a little extra for peace-of-mind.

Last edited by Rodion; 10-03-2014 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #29
Buzzman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F26 M40i

Quote:

I am not sure if you are aware, but unless they changed their policy, Nokian doesn't allow the sale of tires online. This is why they are hard to find online. Even the online vendors who advertised Nokian will in most cases ask you to call them. Nonetheless, local shops have them. I know of 3-4 shops around me who carry Nokian. Since you seem to be in TO, I think Factory Tire in Etobicoke has Nokian. Revolution wheel and tire in Barrie I know carry Nokian.

I had Hakka R2 RFT on my previous BMW and they were fantastic. On the X3, I am thinking of going Non RFT and would lean towards the Blizzak WS80, just because they are more common and easier to find if I get stuck somewhere and need a replacement. I haven't made my mind yet.
2007 E92 Space Grey - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #30
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Ok, you are educated consumer. I agree with you that one shouldn't have to buy 2 to 3 years old rubber as "new" from the dealer. It is a shame that the logistics and poor dealerhandling in NA means lost customers for Nokian Tyres.

In here I have never heard anyone getting that old rubber from dealers as a new tyre.

I just also want to point out that in here Pirelli's winter tyres without studs are rarely performing well in tests. As you can see from the test I posted in the other thread, even the Chinese brand tyre performs better overall. Though it is notable that tests here are emphasizing the wintery conditions.

About the manufacturing country: I am aware of several certificates as I am myself Quality Manager (not in Nokian Tyres I have to say), and I have experienced first hand offshoring labour-intensive high-tech manufacturing to China.

Let's say I have my doubts I drive German car (though manufactured in the USA!), I wear Swiss mechanical wristwatch, home appliances are manufactured in Germany and the elevator at our office and at our apartment house is manufactured in Finland. When it comes to safety, I use my own judgment and experience. Even though it might be too expensive compared to risk levels, but I don't mind paying a little extra for peace-of-mind.
Thanks again Rodin. Plain and simple Nok (for 245/50/r18 RFT, only WRA3 & Hakka R2 avail, I believe Wrg2/3 is avail in non-RFt) for my specific size & RFT is limited. So be it. I have no problem paying more for Nok's but to wait for my dealer to place an order with Kal Tire ( the only Cdn importer/distributor) who in turn orders from the US seems a little cumbersome. To compound the extra delivery charge with the wait with older rubber, to me doesn't add up. I believe the Wra3 are made in Romania.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #31
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I am not sure if you are aware, but unless they changed their policy, Nokian doesn't allow the sale of tires online. This is why they are hard to find online. Even the online vendors who advertised Nokian will in most cases ask you to call them. Nonetheless, local shops have them. I know of 3-4 shops around me who carry Nokian. Since you seem to be in TO, I think Factory Tire in Etobicoke has Nokian. Revolution wheel and tire in Barrie I know carry Nokian.

I had Hakka R2 RFT on my previous BMW and they were fantastic. On the X3, I am thinking of going Non RFT and would lean towards the Blizzak WS80, just because they are more common and easier to find if I get stuck somewhere and need a replacement. I haven't made my mind yet.
I appreciate your kind help and referrals, Buzzman. Etobicoke did not have either and would have to special order in from US, again that would take a phone call to US and pricing would reflect duties and freight. They had no Nokians in 245/50/r18 or 255/50/r19 in RFT or non-RFT fitment. At least Kal tire had the 19's in stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #32
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDigito
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
I have the staggered 622M with PZero summer rubber, so really had no choice but to pick up a winter set up. That in mind, I just ordered the following from TireRack:

O.Z. Superturismo LM in Matte Graphite Silver 19" x 8.5" ET29

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat in 245/45R19

I know that most folks size down to 18" x 8" for winter... but I don't do a ton of classically severe-service driving (it's mostly highway driving in the cold) so I weighed snow/ice traction, dry handling, noise and tread life a bit differently than other's (in colder/snowier/icier conditions) might. The wheels are square, have a bit less offset than stock (8.5" at 29mm vs. 8.5" at 38mm in front and 8.5" at 29mm vs. 9.5" at 51mm in the rear) so they should sit a ~8mm wider. Nothing dramatic, but I'll be sure to post pics come November.

If anyone wants a recommendation for a dedicated set up on 18"s and aren't overly concerned with buying wheels and tires seperately, I would highly recommend going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s. In 18" they come in RFT for BMW dimensions and they are really an incredible snow/ice performer (and don't make a ton of noise and/or melt in warmer temps). Which shouldn't be surprising at $325-$350/each. Next to the Hakka's, I've heard great things about Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, which come in RFT in 245/50R18... but good luck finding any!

Also- this was part of my inspiration...

And Mingstar88's X3

I am also considering the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D DSST ROF in the same size. Would love to hear about your experience with them before I take the plunge this winter.
I wouldn't wait too long- they're not far from selling out. There just aren't many RFT 19" winter tires.

I had these on a VW a few years back and thought they were fine. No complaints. Would prefer Nokians, but they don't make them in 19" (though I encourage you to reach out, maybe next go round they will!).
I ordered a set of the Dunlop winter tires on Monday from the Tirerack. Don't think I'll get to put them on till thanksgiving.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #33
Akirasoft
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

just ordered some Michelin X-Ice Xi3 in 245/50R18 and some Enkei Raijins in 18x8. Wasn't expecting to need them so soon, it was 25F outside this morning with the windchill with some flurries scattered around Chicagoland.

bleh, time to move south.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #34
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft View Post
just ordered some Michelin X-Ice Xi3 in 245/50R18 and some Enkei Raijins in 18x8. Wasn't expecting to need them so soon, it was 25F outside this morning with the windchill with some flurries scattered around Chicagoland.

bleh, time to move south.
Highly rated snows, great choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #35
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

18"Euro class TUV certified.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #36
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDigito View Post
I ordered a set of the Dunlop winter tires on Monday from the Tirerack. Don't think I'll get to put them on till thanksgiving.
Mine arrived and were manufactured week 42, 2012. I'm not happy. These are a clearance tire, at best.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #37
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
Mine arrived and were manufactured week 42, 2012. I'm not happy. These are a clearance tire, at best.
My tire guy yesterday shows me my Pirellis, 4012. He orders from his distributor, Monday he will order a different set from Pirelli directly. He has flexibility to send back unlike Nokian. Last week I called Pirelli customer service and one cannot request the DOT before delivery & could be from last year. 2 years is excessive.

In my case I would rather get the wra3 (use yr round) or go for the Hakka R2's (plus rims)

Some say dealers are bad. Well, I know of 3 Toronto dealers discounting end of season tire packages. Budds was offering 25% off, Parkview 20% ( 1 series was 50% off) and one from this thread who got $1000 off. This is the proper way.

The NA Nokian guy says, despite 2-3 yrs old we still offer full manufactures warranty but no discount. Suppose your BMW dealer says: This 2012-2013 unused but supposedly new BMW comes with full warranty, but no discount. Never.

Time for me to call my tire guy again. Since Pirelli can't promise new, I might as well go with Nokain. Nonsensical.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #38
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
My tire guy yesterday shows me my Pirellis, 4012. He orders from his distributor, Monday he will order a different set from Pirelli directly. He has flexibility to send back unlike Nokian. Last week I called Pirelli customer service and one cannot request the DOT before delivery & could be from last year. 2 years is excessive.

In my case I would rather get the wra3 (use yr round) or go for the Hakka R2's (plus rims)

Some say dealers are bad. Well, I know of 3 Toronto dealers discounting end of season tire packages. Budds was offering 25% off, Parkview 20% ( 1 series was 50% off) and one from this thread who got $1000 off. This is the proper way.

The NA Nokian guy says, despite 2-3 yrs old we still offer full manufactures warranty but no discount. Suppose your BMW dealer says: This 2012-2013 unused but supposedly new BMW comes with full warranty, but no discount. Never.

Time for me to call my tire guy again. Since Pirelli can't promise new, I might as well go with Nokain. Nonsensical.
Agree. And honestly- you'll be happier with the Nokians. If they made R2 19"s in RFT, that's what I'd be running.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #39
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Nokian hakka SUV R2.
19" will fit my x5, non-rft and this size is stocked item!

19"

225/55 R 19 103 R XL
235/55 R 19 105 R XL
245/55 R 19 107 R XL
255/50 R 19 107 R XL
255/50 R 19 107 R XL Flat Run
255/55 R 19 111 R XL
275/55 R 19 115 R XL
http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-ti...liitta-r2-suv/
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #40
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Folks, I appreciated those that steered me towards Nokians, many thanks.
Update: The delivered Pirelli's were 2 yrs old, my tire guy ordered a 2nd set from Pirelli Canada to see if they were newer. I told him to cancel, and I would take my chances with the Hakka R2, at most only 2 yrs old as they were introduced in 2013. They were shipped from Edmonton, up to $40 freight for each. Upon arrival, date is 2014. I understand that in Toronto the non-rft Hakkas are very popular per Kal Tire, unlike the RFT's. This is my 4th set of Nokians, 1st dedicated winter. This winter cannot be worse than last years, surprisingly my all season OEM's were ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #41
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

did my switch over today.
a bit early but I dont want to do it when there's huge line up

tires: Blizzak LM-25V
i'm in Toronto, went to steelcasetires, these guys are really good
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #42
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Nice- love your non-winter tire (the DWS).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #43
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddorz View Post
What would be the best rim size to get when looking to get winter/snow tires? I am currently running the stock Goodyear tires on my 19" M package rims, but I am looking to purchase a smaller size rim as well as winter tire for this season since I make a few trips up to the mountains to go snowboarding.
I have 19 inch Enke rims with non run flat Blizzak tires. Excellent performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #44
happy_chrissy
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 2015' X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
did my switch over today.
a bit early but I dont want to do it when there's huge line up

tires: Blizzak LM-25V
i'm in Toronto, went to steelcasetires, these guys are really good
How did you get your X3 to look so wet looking? What type of wax did you use? I want that look!
Appreciate 0