BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

Bluetooth "crashing" now

Galaxy S2 with 2.3.3 worked perfectly fine:
  • Scan for devices
  • Enter same passcode on both iDrive & phone (1234)
  • They pair & contacts get synched
  • Phoning using the dial method in iDrive made the phone dial

Updated to ICS 4.0.3 yesterday and the phone works perfectly fine, or at least it seems... they can see each other, input passcode on both and they pair, up to a certain point where my phone then shoots me an error after a few secs "unfortunately contact sharing has ended prematurely" or something similar (@ work right now).

They both stay paired, but I can't use the iDrive phone dial or anything else. Then if I turn off the phone it won't pair automatically or any other way after that; it can "see" BMW in the scanned devices, and it "knows" about it in the paired devices but even if I click on it it says "connecting..." and just ends with nothing happens.

Literally no settings to play with on iDrive, and on my phone I forced "visible forever even for unpaired devices", turned on/off the radio, etc... nothing works.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

Hi,

I have exactly the same combination, and it works fine.

Don't know you if you have the latest update, worth a try if you haven't yet:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...ndingpage.html
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

I don't have any multimedia/nav options on it, so the option to update anything on iDrive isn't available

I've read a few threads on the Android side of the equation and there's a few things I can try on the phone to see if it's not a lingering setting that was kept after ICS upgrade. If that doesn't work then I'll ask the dealer to see what version of Bluetooth I'm @ and what the latest version of it is from BMW (they might have that already as I had a few updates installed not too long ago for throttle lag & other tidbits).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

Well, I got the phone & pairing working correctly now; was a remnant from the old OS I think because I followed the instructions from another thread about clearing the data off the Bluetooth Share application (Settings -> Applications -> All tab -> Bluetooth Share -> clear data + clear cache) and everything started working.

Only problem now is that I HATE the new contact list in ICS; the "merge with google" on 2.3.3 worked much better because it replicated contacts on the Phone & Google accounts, but now when I merge with google it literally only uses the Google contacts and removes everything from phone and the car doesn't see any contacts... only way around that is not merging with google whatsoever so the contacts remain under the "phone" account and the car sees everything.

I don't want every bit of information MOVED to the cloud Google -.-

EDIT: actually I was wrong, the contacts don't sync at ALL with the car anymore... the phonebook is empty when I clearly have a lot of entries in the phone. Guess it's another thing to try and fix...

Last edited by Dechy; 08-23-2012 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep

Ended up being my backup/restore pre-ICS... seems I either had an app or some settings that were corrupted or blocked something in the contacts or bluetooth. Decided to factory reset yet again but without a restore and entered a few dummy contacts and phone paired instantly with full functionality!
Appreciate 0