BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

max power 2nd gear & up? (torque management)

Quick question... does the computer in the X3 restrict full engine power in 1st gear like some of the sport motorcycles.

The reason I ask is that when I have the car in sport mode with the shifter in DS the car REALLY accelerates much quickly after hitting 2ng gear.

I don't know if it is just my perception.

Last edited by lbjgh; 05-21-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

You have to remember this truck is as heavy as a sumo wrestler so getting off the line is hard work.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

It think it may be a combination of having gotten the vehicle moving, switching to second gear, and around the same time the engine speed getting to the point where the turbo has kicked in and is starting to have an effect.
      05-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the comments... Do you guys also notice a significant rush of power in 2nd?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

while we are on the topic of manual mode

anyone have guide on how to shift efficiently and have fun ofc
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Unfortunately Torque Management is pretty common these days. Google Torque Mangement Removal for some info. Basically this is done for several reasons (healthy drive train, better mpg, safer, etc...).

While I can't comment on any TM BMW may be applying I do know we deal with it on a regular basis in the Chevy truck world. We have tuners that can specifically program it out or reduce it through out the gears. With TM removed it is very rare to see someone come back and complain.

Might want to ask the same question over in the F10 forum, basically anywhere with a more established ZF 8spd / N55 combo. Keep in mind, with the 8 spd the gears are much closer together and 1st gear is pretty short, at full throttle you'll burn thru 1st in seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
while we are on the topic of manual mode

anyone have guide on how to shift efficiently and have fun ofc
I don't think there is any generic guide to shifting efficiently. It all depends on the road and your surroundings and how aggresive you feel like driving at thattime. Other than not holding it against the rev limiter there isn't much you can do wrong.

When I'm playing around on the back roads I like to keep my rpms up around 4k. This gives great throttle response, especially when I'm in 3rd or 4th. Occasionally I'll turn EDC off and hit a corner in 2nd to get the rear end to step out a little bit.

Your best bet is to play around and see what you and the X3 are comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Thanks n55x3.

I googled "torque management" and you are right it is a common discussion point for many brands.

I'm not looking to change anything on my car... just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Unfortunately Torque Management is pretty common these days. Google Torque Mangement Removal for some info. Basically this is done for several reasons (healthy drive train, better mpg, safer, etc...).

While I can't comment on any TM BMW may be applying I do know we deal with it on a regular basis in the Chevy truck world. We have tuners that can specifically program it out or reduce it through out the gears. With TM removed it is very rare to see someone come back and complain.

Might want to ask the same question over in the F10 forum, basically anywhere with a more established ZF 8spd / N55 combo. Keep in mind, with the 8 spd the gears are much closer together and 1st gear is pretty short, at full throttle you'll burn thru 1st in seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post

ECU programming...I have had (4) N63 TTV8's one DINAN tuned all with the 8speed ZF transmission. From the factory they all appear to exhibit a less aggressive 1st gear, with stronger acceleration from 2nd gear onward ( the exception being the sport auto in my F12 650i which was strong in all gears). Even the stage 1 DINAN flash exhibited the same characteristics which I understand was rectified with Stage 2. Full Boost in 1st gear isn't for everyone

Just my two cents
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Thanks for the comments... Do you guys also notice a significant rush of power in 2nd?
Yes.