BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

NEW X3 – Rear brake problem after 200 miles from new.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had a brake problem on their new X3. Over the weekend I was driving at around 10 mph along a country lane (tarred road) when there was a horrific screeching and grinding sound from the off-side rear wheel, which sounded as if the brake pads were sticking to the disc. Examination revealed no obvious cause (stone/obstruction between the disc and pad calliper). Applying the brakes (foot and electronic hand break) whilst stationary did not clear the problem. Interestingly, switching the hand brake on and off whilst stationary, also produced a ‘whining’ sound, which I find difficult to understand as the car was not moving at all.

The emergency BMW helpline seemed suspiciously quick to respond with a solution, which suggested to me they had already experienced such a situation — i.e. the girl at the call centre clearly had no time to even lookup a diagnosis on her screen. I was told to drive forward and do an emergency stop, and then the same, in reverse. Sure enough it cleared the noise but I am still concerned and will go to the dealer asap. Interestingly enough, putting on the hand brake even now, still produces a faint but unhealthy sound from the rear and I can’t believe this is normal; I have had the car just over two weeks but do not recall hearing any sound when the brake was applied when parked previously. Has anyone experienced a problem with the hand brake?

Having driven 000s of miles over the years, much of it over rough terrain and gravel and waterlogged roads, I have never encountered such a problem so was wondering what could be the cause.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Sounds like the pads weren't fully seated. Definitely check with the dealer.
      05-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Interestingly, switching the hand brake on and off whilst stationary, also produced a ‘whining’ sound, which I find difficult to understand as the car was not moving at all.

I dont understand this either, but the solution suggested by the call centre is a routine way of trying to clear a stone trapped between brake disc and brake pad. I have had this happen to me once and the noise sounds severe but cleared up by doing exactly what you described.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

I used to get the same problem from time to time on my old Audi A5 but it has not happened (yet) on my X3.
The problem was exactly as described - a stone caught up in the works. On my A5, it used to happen when a stone got caught between the brake disk and the large plate that surrounds the back of the brake disk as a protector. There is enough flexibility in this plate for a stone to get caught in there. Please note that this means the stone is not in the gap between the disk and the pads.

By putting the car in reverse and giving it a bit it welly - the stone is able to work its way out the way it came in.

I wouldn't worry about it myself as I have had this so many times before

Cheers
P
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
The problem was exactly as described - a stone caught up in the works. On my A5, it used to happen when a stone got caught between the brake disk and the large plate that surrounds the back of the brake disk as a protector. There is enough flexibility in this plate for a stone to get caught in there. Please note that this means the stone is not in the gap between the disk and the pads.

By putting the car in reverse and giving it a bit it welly - the stone is able to work its way out the way it came in.

I wouldn't worry about it myself as I have had this so many times before

Cheers
P
+1

Many times, in a variety of vehicles. Present BMW has got a stone caught several times, front and rear, typically when among other traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
Having driven 000s of miles over the years, much of it over rough terrain and gravel and waterlogged roads, I have never encountered such a problem so was wondering what could be the cause.
I think you have been lucky, has happened many times to me. As has been said, the technique described gets rid of most stones. Only once have I had to take a wheel off to get the stone out.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0