BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Generic wheels vs BBS

I know that a $140 wheel is not going to be the same quality as a $800 wheel but what about the ones in between?

of the 18" wheels that I like from tirerack it really comes down to the elbrus i06
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...XL&qty_front=4

in either black or silver, not sure yet

or a couple different BBS wheels with anthracite accents

Now price wise its $560 vs $1520 for the set, which is a pretty crazy difference. Both are made of 1 piece cast, finish on the BBS is only a 1 year warranty but Elbrus has a 3 years on theirs. Elbrus made in China, BBS in Germany. Same weights on all the wheels. So are you really paying that much for the BBS style and name? I have a pair of generic from tire rack on my C63, going on my third winter and they have been fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

You've answered your own question.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
here u go..if your goin to spend money, spend it right

http://www.vortextuning.com/bmw?cat=84

http://www.**********s.com/BMW-X3-Wheels.htm
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
here u go..if your goin to spend money, spend it right

http://www.vortextuning.com/bmw?cat=84

http://www.**********s.com/BMW-X3-Wheels.htm
I've been a big fan of the X6 style wheels (although the first time I saw them they were on an X5). If I could find some nice replicas in 18" or 19" sizes (with the proper fitment specs) I'd be all over it like a cheap suit.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
try ebay im sure u can find them
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

BBS makes a superior wheel, although pricey. If I were going to keep the vehicle long time, I would spring for the extra dollars BBS.
      11-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
BBS makes a superior wheel, although pricey. If I were going to keep the vehicle long time, I would spring for the extra dollars BBS.
hmmm, seems like I can get the 18" 307 wheel for $340 and the 308 wheel for $370, I think I would take either of those over the BBS wheel at $380 since they are BMW OEM, then again the BBS wheels are probably the same quality and will give it a different look than any other BMW out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
hmmm, seems like I can get the 18" 307 wheel for $340 and the 308 wheel for $370, I think I would take either of those over the BBS wheel at $380 since they are BMW OEM, then again the BBS wheels are probably the same quality and will give it a different look than any other BMW out there.
Agreed, I always favor OEM wheels if I can get them for a good price. I put 18" 308s OEMs on for winter as they were "take-offs" from another X3 at the dealers, and got them for a great price. BBS are good, but not better than OEMs.
      11-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Mako
Rep

interesting, just got this reply from tire rack

"Thank you for the inquiry. The BBS wheels are produced in Germany while the Elbrus wheels are produced in China. Both are durable wheels that would work well with your X3. The Elbrus wheels are a high pressure cast wheel. The biggest difference is that the production cost in China is much lower than wheels produced in Germany. With the production cost being lower we are able to pass the savings on to you."

he is basically confirming that the quality is similar and you are paying for the name/style, they are both high pressure cast, 1 piece and similar weight. If tire rack was making a killing on the BBS wheels he would have just replied "they are higher quality" but he didn't! just thought I would share the reply with others.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
I've been a big fan of the X6 style wheels (although the first time I saw them they were on an X5). If I could find some nice replicas in 18" or 19" sizes (with the proper fitment specs) I'd be all over it like a cheap suit.
You could run an et35 on the X3, so you'd be able to get these.

There's a guy running M6 wheels already:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=562811&page=2
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
interesting, just got this reply from tire rack

"Thank you for the inquiry. The BBS wheels are produced in Germany while the Elbrus wheels are produced in China. Both are durable wheels that would work well with your X3. The Elbrus wheels are a high pressure cast wheel. The biggest difference is that the production cost in China is much lower than wheels produced in Germany. With the production cost being lower we are able to pass the savings on to you."

he is basically confirming that the quality is similar and you are paying for the name/style, they are both high pressure cast, 1 piece and similar weight. If tire rack was making a killing on the BBS wheels he would have just replied "they are higher quality" but he didn't! just thought I would share the reply with others.
Do you really believe the quality of some wheels made in China will be as high as BBS from Germany?

One of my friends is an engineer, the horror stories he's heard and seen 1st hand from dangerously made Chinese components is staggering.

Wheels are vital for safetly reasons and I would never even entertain the idea of putting Chinese wheels on my car.

So many products from China are destroyed post stops at UK ports because of dangerous quality and the use of banned and poisonous chemicals which are found in a number of Chinese products.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
iwinit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Well, China did send astronauts into outer space. That says something in terms of technology advancement. The idea that everything made in China is crap is so silly. It was not true 20 years ago. It is definitely wrong today.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Down in the fens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
So many products from China are destroyed post stops at UK ports because of dangerous quality and the use of banned and poisonous chemicals which are found in a number of Chinese products.
This is naive and out of date by a long chalk. Do you still use candles in the fens? Is Dick vanDyke still cleaning chimneys in London?

Why not make an effort to look beyond the stereotype?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Mako
Rep

Companies are also liable for the products they sell especially if it's a house brand. If something happened to the car because of a cheaply made wheel then tire rack would be liable along with the manufacturer.

Do you also believe that drug store generic medicine isn't as good as brand name because it's half the price?

I also wouldn't doubt if the majority of cars made come standard with wheels from China!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=Le Chef;10787000]This is naive and out of date by a long chalk. QUOTE]

It's a fact unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

It is true. Doesn't mean there isn't some good stuff made there, but it's true.
      11-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Companies are also liable for the products they sell especially if it's a house brand. If something happened to the car because of a cheaply made wheel then tire rack would be liable along with the manufacturer.

Do you also believe that drug store generic medicine isn't as good as brand name because it's half the price?

I also wouldn't doubt if the majority of cars made come standard with wheels from China!
Buying drugs is completely different. Drugs are sold by approved retailers and the drugs are approved for market. It no way at all does this compare to a company that decides to start manufacturing wheels. Price is irrelevant.

I would be very careful about buying wheels manufactured in China from a company you know nothing about. If something did go wrong, you may have recourse via the vendor (I'm don't know about US law) but there is no way you'd get anywhere against a Chinese company.

Why do assume that the majority of cars made come with wheels made in China? Do you have any facts to back this up? I don't know of any manufacturer that does this.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
It's a fact unfortunately.
It's also true that Britain makes shoddy goods. On that basis we should just call Britain "Little China".

Last edited by Le Chef; 11-12-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #19
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Many "made in China" wheels carry the JWL (Japan Light Wheels-Alloy) cast in certification which means that they have met stringent safety standards. European wheels are often certified by TUV (the German Technischer Uberwachungs-Verien) a testing agency. which has similar standards.

Any wheel that is JWL, JWL-T or TUV certified can generally be counted on being at least as good as an OEM wheel. The standards include testing as well as factory requirements for production quality control. In fact, some racing wheels that are known to be very reliable and safe are not good enough to meet JWL standards.

I have forged, light-weight racing wheels made in South Africa that are as well finished and strong as BBS wheels (having a JWL, but not TUV certification), and BBS actually manufactures cast alloy wheels under license in China that they sell under different brand names.

Any wheel without a JWL or TUV certification is a totally unknown risk (and probably should be avoided), but many Chinese wheels ARE certified and are as safe as any other wheel of similar construction and design.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #20
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Many "made in China" wheels carry the JWL (Japan Light Wheels-Alloy) cast in certification which means that they have met stringent safety standards. European wheels are often certified by TUV (the German Technischer Uberwachungs-Verien) a testing agency. which has similar standards.

Any wheel that is JWL, JWL-T or TUV certified can generally be counted on being at least as good as an OEM wheel. The standards include testing as well as factory requirements for production quality control. In fact, some racing wheels that are known to be very reliable and safe are not good enough to meet JWL standards.

I have forged, light-weight racing wheels made in South Africa that are as well finished and strong as BBS wheels (having a JWL, but not TUV certification), and BBS actually manufactures cast alloy wheels under license in China that they sell under different brand names.

Any wheel without a JWL or TUV certification is a totally unknown risk (and probably should be avoided), but many Chinese wheels ARE certified and are as safe as any other wheel of similar construction and design.
I'm not familiar enough with wheel design but I don't know how a standard could guarantee that an aftermarket wheel is going to be as strong as a OEM wheel... I mean they could mandate material quality to control impact strength and control material imperfections that could cause cracks. I don't know... maybe my industry is just a whole lot more picky about suck things...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #21
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Was cleaning my 309's on Sunday and noticed they were stamped "China ZCW" and a DOT mold (sp?) number. Each spoke had something else on it, but couldn't make out any JWL or TUV stamps.