BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2016, 02:28 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Moving to a Jaguar F Pace

We planning to change our X3 in the near future, the F Pace is top of our list, surprised by the how little is standard with Jaguar in comparison to BMW.
Did any one here had the chance to test drive one, any thought on how it compare to the X3 be it the X3 is 5 years old and the new one around the corner.

Thanks folks for any feedbacks!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:50 AM   #2
Harroldv
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35d

My mom has the new F Pace 30d in S sport trim.

I have a 2017 bmw X3 35d which i just took delivery off.

Space: cabin is very plush inside f pace, very nice to sit in and boot is larger than X3. But personally i prefer the simple layout of the X3 and i hate that touchscreen in the f pace. I personally prefer the idrive system in bmw.

Drive is great in both cars although the X3 drives firmer and i'd say a bit more sporty than the f pace. F pace drives softer but not like a range rover. It's a nice comfortable drive.

Design is what separates the f pce from the X3. Unlike the box like design of the X3, the f pace has a very desirable line and shape. It looks exciting and beautiful.

If you go f pace: make sure to check surround view cameras, pano roof (even if you take the fixed roof it's a great way to lighten up the interior) and check the nav pro with the big screen and digital instrument display in the dashboard.

The X3 is and remains a great practical car to drive, the F pace looks better but i prefer the idrive over the jag system!

Both nice cars to drive. Test drive the jag and pay attention to the details like using the nav etc so you'll know if you can get used to it.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Rik762
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Must agree about the iDrive. It is way ahead of the Jaguar system and not as distracting. I could not get as comfortable in the seats either especially as the lumber support seemed to give negligible help compared with that in the X3.
One good point was the possibility of carrying a full sized spare wheel. What I would give for that in an X3 !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

We are very much cooling on the F-Pace. Just been released this week in Australia and will still have a test drive in a couple of weeks but I very much suspect we'll be not only staying with the X3, but in fact getting another F25 to replace our current 5-year old F25.

Don't know what its like in other markets but for us the biggest problem is with the pricing - it really is up there in Maccan territory and is closer to the pricing for an X5 than an X3. And the option list (and the cost of some of the options) even outdoes BMW. For a apples.vs.apples comparison of a similarly optioned X3 30d and a F-Pace 30d Prestige results in a AU$20k or around 20% higher price for the F-Pace. Plus with the discounts on offer at the moment for the X3, it pushes the difference closer to 30%. Even though in many respects the F-Pace is certainly "better" than the X3, I simply cannot justify that level of price difference.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:34 AM   #5
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks folks, I agree the packaging is on the expensive side compare to X3, I thought maybe it is just me since last time we venture into ordering new cars was in 2011.

Harroldv, I agree with the need for the sunroof option, the jag is larger if compared with the X3, but the shape cuts into the head room space.

Rik762, I never experienced the touch screen but I see how on the particle side it will never beat the i-drive wheel, plus the new X3 will probably have the same setup as the 7 series, the hand movement feature with the idrive wheel.

brissim, In Ireland we have an extra tax charged to new cars that can add up to 25% extra in comparison to the UK on top of the VAT, the F Pace is slightly larger but with you on pricing, when comparing the 4 pot diesel engine I am not sure the Jag is any special in fact has less HP, and this is in comparison to the existing X3 let along the new 2017 around the corner.

It will be down to the drive it is for my wife and also our weekend family car since my F10 is a disaster with 3 kids in the back, my wife like the fact it is bigger than the current X3, she finds the X5 large and argues it is probably less of a driver car in comparison to the X3 and I agree with her on that one, the new 2017 X3 is more likely to grow in size maybe to the match the F Pace, from the current photos look like the interior is a match to the X5 so the usual conservative design approach by BMW, hence maybe a good time to give the Jag a go!

So it is really down to the feel factor behind the wheels since the X3 is on top and we talking about outgoing model.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Set to go for a test drive however sitting in one compared to my X4 they have cut corners with Cheap hard plastic and fake faux leather everywhere. Interior quality is a downgrade from X3/4. Such a shame for such a beautiful car, hope test drive compensates for this, will report back!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:07 AM   #7
redonebe
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
2010 BMW 116D  [0.00]
I just ordered the F-Pace 2.0D to replace the current X3. I was not convinced after the first test drive but after a second session i went for it.

I agree that the quality of the interior is not as good but looked much better than the X3. And on the outside the F-Pace beats the X3.

For me the + point were: less noise inside, less roll movement, more space inside and the seats were much better than the ones in the X3.

In Belgium the prices were almost the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonebe View Post
I just ordered the F-Pace 2.0D to replace the current X3. I was not convinced after the first test drive but after a second session i went for it.

I agree that the quality of the interior is not as good but looked much better than the X3. And on the outside the F-Pace beats the X3.

For me the + point were: less noise inside, less roll movement, more space inside and the seats were much better than the ones in the X3.

In Belgium the prices were almost the same.
"less noise inside"? I thought X3 is the quietest in the class, compared to the Q5 and GLK. XE has a pretty noisy ride, surprise to see F-Pace managed to be quieter than X3. What tire did you chose?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
redonebe
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
2010 BMW 116D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
"less noise inside"? I thought X3 is the quietest in the class, compared to the Q5 and GLK. XE has a pretty noisy ride, surprise to see F-Pace managed to be quieter than X3. What tire did you chose?
My X3 is on 17" and the FP was on 19". If you think the X3 is quiet you should try the F-Pace. I ordered the FP with 18".
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
B3M4
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI M-Sport 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Set to go for a test drive however sitting in one compared to my X4 they have cut corners with Cheap hard plastic and fake faux leather everywhere. Interior quality is a downgrade from X3/4. Such a shame for such a beautiful car, hope test drive compensates for this, will report back!

Is the X4 M40i not available in your region? Or it too similar to your current drive? I probably would have bought one if they were available in the UK. when i was looking at the FPace, I was surprised that there were no extended leather packs available, but perhaps i missed it as i didn't find the car builder as intuitive as BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3M4 View Post
Is the X4 M40i not available in your region? Or it too similar to your current drive? I probably would have bought one if they were available in the UK. when i was looking at the FPace, I was surprised that there were no extended leather packs available, but perhaps i missed it as i didn't find the car builder as intuitive as BMW's.
Interior is the same so not worth it, if it was X5 type would not blink.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonebe View Post
My X3 is on 17" and the FP was on 19". If you think the X3 is quiet you should try the F-Pace. I ordered the FP with 18".
great, my X3 is due for a change and FP is high on the list.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
I'm coming out of a 2014 X3 28i M-Sport pkg w/ every option, owned the car for 2yrs put exactly 22,000 miles. Now onto my March delivery X4 M40i I've already put 7,000 miles =D
Get it ? This car is more comfortable (interior as well), more fun, better handling even more than my previous X3 that had Dynamic Handling pkg since M40i is just a bit more special than standard car due to the M-Performance tuning the suspension a lot more.

Long story short, the X4 M40i has the same interior (look wise) but there are still some differences that all 2015+ models get and refreshments, improvement (no noise, no cracking sound), seats are much more comfortable, materials feel better, sound is even better, don't cross it out off your checklist until you drive one.

My point is, any car can look good or better on paper, watch reviews and most important test drive it.. I didn't test drive my X4 M40i but I had test driven all my options i was considering (Benz GLA 45 AMG, Benz C450 AMG, BMW's 340/435/X3 35i/X4 35i, etc). And glad I ordered mine.

But i must admit the F-pace is looking really good, just get the biggest engine haha.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #14
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

I'm getting the diesel FPace next year. Had a 2014 x3 m sport. Not wanting to wait until 2018
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 04:19 AM   #15
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Our X3 was one of the 1st produced Feb 2011, our dealer call it the car produced on Friday afternoon before a bank holiday, in reference to the amount of bugs we had, so on that basis we learned the hard way to never again go for a new car just released, so safe option to wait for next year for the F pace to, and not go for the new just released X3 in 2018.
I just hope Jags are now in better shape, even with all our issues with the X3, must admit I was more than happy with the service and commitment by BMW in resolving the issues, they even replaced all 4 alloys after warranty expired for free, and was always looked after by having a other car.
Love to see t1st long term test report on the F pace before making the move on a new one specially they know to depreciate even further in comparison to BMW’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
I'm getting the diesel FPace next year. Had a 2014 x3 m sport. Not wanting to wait until 2018
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #16
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

What the outgoing X3 has going for it is quality. It's in it's last model year and is thus optimised in all areas. Jaguar aren't as well resourced as BMW and are likely to but corners in thr first model year of the F-Pace. It's a sexy car which can make you happy if you are willing to forgive bugs in the infotainment or material imperfections in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #17
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
What the outgoing X3 has going for it is quality. It's in it's last model year and is thus optimised in all areas. Jaguar aren't as well resourced as BMW and are likely to but corners in thr first model year of the F-Pace. It's a sexy car which can make you happy if you are willing to forgive bugs in the infotainment or material imperfections in the cabin.
The cutting of corners made me even decide to scrap the road test, cannot consider a premium car and price with 1990 Hyundai plastics. Material wise the Macan is still king of the segment!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #18
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I just picked up my ordered F Pace S after having my 2011 X335i for 5 years. Always loved my bmw but was time for a change and after first learning about the F Pace at first of this year and doing a lot of research (and drooling...) I put an order in in April-with no test drive at that point and having just then seen one in the flesh for 1st time.

The Jag is amazing. In my humble opinion, it is by far the most beautiful SAV on the road now...don't get me wrong, as noted I loved my BMW, but consider this a giant step up.

I did get the fully loaded S, so not cheap, but I was comparing more to an X5 and at a similar price point, it was for me an easy decision. Performance is ridiculous. Smooth, yes more quiet in the cabin, and endless pull...and it sounds badass too... I think the Interior is dramatically more plush-yes, there is some cheap plastic in areas, but I think the same can be said for X3/X4. To my eyes, it is much more plush and refined in every way.

Yes, there may be bugs with a new model, but as an early adopter of the current X3, I suffered through countless trips to the dealer over sunroof (replaced entirely twice!) and a few other annoying issues, so kind of went into this with the mindset that as a new model, stuff may happen. Fortunately, my Jag dealer is sister dealer to my BMW dealer so I was comfortable going in that I had a good one to work with in the event anything happened. I would agree with others and miss the simplicity of the Idrive system, but the system in the jag is much more sophisticated and capable, and interface with it is not an issue after getting to know it...and the 825 watt meridian sound system is definitely a step up from the hk.

don't think you can go wrong either way-I'd recommend not going with the base model to avoid some of the plainness that comes with it, but I'm ecstatic over my choice...so far...wife loves it too, except that I've claimed our garage so I can properly admire it every evening...

Good luck with your choice...here's my new baby;
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #19
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

very nice car. Looks great. Congrats with it.
I would never go for it though . If not a BMW, than a Mercedes-Benz for sure (GLC or GLE).
Jag still has not such a very good name around here : not very reliable (but maybe the reliability has improved a lot now!) and high depreciation.
      08-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #20
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
We planning to change our X3 in the near future, the F Pace is top of our list, surprised by the how little is standard with Jaguar in comparison to BMW.
Did any one here had the chance to test drive one, any thought on how it compare to the X3 be it the X3 is 5 years old and the new one around the corner.

Thanks folks for any feedbacks!
The following UK site gives a comparison of some things, you might find it useful..

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/f-pace

Quote:
Depreciation

As well as boasting low day-to-day running costs, the F-Pace looks like a solid long-term prospect, too. The entry-level diesels will retain more than 50 per cent of their value after three-years or 36,000 miles, with the all-wheel drive R-Sport Auto holding onto almost 52 per cent over the same mileage and time frame.

For comparison, most Audi Q5s dip just below the 50 per cent mark, while the BMW X3 ranges from 47 per cent to 51 per cent. The Porsche Macan is best in class though, with some models retaining 58 per cent after three years and 36,000 miles.
Quote:
Reliability and Safety

Jaguar has a solid reputation for reliability and safety, so the F-Pace should be a dependable car to own
Euro NCAP hasn’t tested the Jaguar F-Pace yet, but if it’s anything like the smaller XE then it should be prove pretty tough in the event of an accident. The XE scored 92 per cent for adult occupancy and 82 per cent for child occupancy. It even managed 81 per cent for pedestrian protection – and as the F-Pace employs much of the same technology and production techniques, we expect the SUV to be among the safest cars in its class.

In addition to its tough SUV body, all F-Pace models get Emergency Brake Assist and Autonomous Emergency Braking. The latter can detect pedestrians – first providing a warning before automatically applying the brakes to prevent impact. Cruise control with a speed limiter is also available, as is lane departure warning and Trailer Stability Assist for towing.

In terms of reliability, Jaguar’s hard fought reputation is set to continue with the new F-Pace. In the 2015 Driver Power survey, Jaguar may have slipped four places to sixth overall in our 2016 Driver Power satisfaction survey, but this was still far better than BMW’s result of 15th, and at the opposite end of the table to Land Rover in 22nd. The brand also scored in the top three for ride quality, performance and ease of driving; as the F-Pace shares its underpinnings and engines with the rest of the range, we’d expect similar results for the SUV.
Also interesting reading...

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ja...ace/suv/review

and Edmunds...

http://www.edmunds.com/jaguar/f-pace/2017/review/

Have a look at Reviews from owners of the 2017 Jaguar F-PACE at the bottom of the REVIEWS Page.

If it was me, I would be looking to wait 2 years minimum to see if there are short term reliability problems.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-09-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #21
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Now I do not care much for what car journalists have to say with their surveys. I cannot check any of this.
But the high depreciation will be a fact, at least in EU. (may be different in UK).
A used BMW X3 is FAR more worth in EU than a used Jag. Look in Belgium, Holland , Germany and Hungary for instance.

By the way, Jaguar is part of the Indian carmaker Tata..... So we are talking about a Tata F Pace, in my book.
      08-10-2016, 03:29 AM   #22
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Didn't think I would say it but I don't like the F-Pace, looks too bulbous. I always liked the Q5 but when I went to see one in the flesh I was put off straight away by the bulbous shape. The F-Pace to me seems more of a competitor to the X5 rather than the X3 it looks huge compared to the X3.

Anyway each to their own and good luck and happy motoring in your Tata F-Pace