BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
jacob_dk
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 F25 20xi

Bimmer-tech installation review

Hi all

I just finished an installation with different stuff ordered from Bimmer-tech.
My X3 was very modestly equipped - basic EU model no navi, no phone support.

After reading a lot of good reviews on Bimmer-tech in the forum I decided to order a package containing:
Combox Media retrofit
USB retrofit
Bimmer-tech Media interface
Bimmer-tech Smartview
Rear cam

My first intention with this post was to write an installation guide, but I decided not to - because there really is no need to as Bimmer-tech's installation guides are thorough and easy to understand.
Instead I'll post my experience of doing business with Bimmer-tech.

A week after ordering I received the package along with a link to google docs containing the installation guides with plenty of pictures.

Following the guides I stripped the car of panels, driver seat, screen and head unit, and got the wiring fitted, some 8 hours of work.
Next day I connected the combox, USB, MMI and Smartview and tested - the rear cam didn't work. Sent a mail to Bimmer-tech and recieved a reply with the missing guide within the hour (I have manual transmission and the standard guide assumes auto). Following that guide i got the MMI tapped into the reverse light and the rear cam came to life, another 8 hours in total.
Finally I scheduled a session with Bimmer-tech to perform remote coding, 30 minutes from setting up the remote session until they finished the coding.

Everything works flawlessly - mainly due to the fact that Bimmer-tech has made it so easy to DIY.

A final note on Smartview:
My main purpose was to get navigation from the phone mirrored in the dash screen - and it works beautifully !
A few concerns regarding the reaction delay from phone to screen have been raised in a few threads - I can clearly say that this is NOT an issue with the 5GHz Smartview, I would estimate the delay to be in the milliseconds.

So - Am I a satisfied customer ?
Absolutely yes !
I'd recommend Bimmer-tech any day to anyone considering DIY projects.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

They are great! I added Sirius to our X3 and I've got nothing but good things to say about them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Thank you so much for the positive feedback
Appreciate 0