BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Electrical Service Manual - How get?

I got my 2011 CPO X3 2.8i a few days ago and quickly made the decison to install a wireless backup camera. A factory retrofit would be much preferable even if much more expensive but this does not appear to be possible for a number of reasons (the biggest finding a local installer in the Syracuse, NY area that can dependably install the wiring harness in a car in factory perfect condition).

The power supply for the camera should prove to be relatively easy because that will come from a backup light power supply. The associated monitor will be placed at the drivers far corner of the dash between the side window defroster vent and the windshield. I need to find a power source, switched with the ignition, for the monitor. In addition, I need to identify the appropriate wire in the overhead console to connect my radar detector.

I want to get the BMW electrical service manual so I can predetermine exactly where to make the necessary connections. These manuals are also good for troubleshooting problems in the future aside from just being interesting to learn more about the car.

I would appreciate suggestions where I might be able to get the electrical service manual.

Apparently BMW wont sell it and a Google search revealed nothing useful. This is unfortunate because I have the equivalent manual in a PDF file for my Z3 and it has proved to be of immense value over the years.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I got my 2011 CPO X3 2.8i a few days ago and quickly made the decison to install a wireless backup camera. A factory retrofit would be much preferable even if much more expensive but this does not appear to be possible for a number of reasons (the biggest finding a local installer in the Syracuse, NY area that can dependably install the wiring harness in a car in factory perfect condition).

The power supply for the camera should prove to be relatively easy because that will come from a backup light power supply. The associated monitor will be placed at the drivers far corner of the dash between the side window defroster vent and the windshield. I need to find a power source, switched with the ignition, for the monitor. In addition, I need to identify the appropriate wire in the overhead console to connect my radar detector.

I want to get the BMW electrical service manual so I can predetermine exactly where to make the necessary connections. These manuals are also good for troubleshooting problems in the future aside from just being interesting to learn more about the car.

I would appreciate suggestions where I might be able to get the electrical service manual.

Apparently BMW wont sell it and a Google search revealed nothing useful. This is unfortunate because I have the equivalent manual in a PDF file for my Z3 and it has proved to be of immense value over the years.
I don't think you can get a electrical or any other service manual for BMW's anymore. In the old days when they released the info on CD's (ETK) you had all that info. Now its an online subscription model so to my knowledge you cant get what you are seeking.

That said, the project you are embarking on seems pretty simple. I've done something similar on my older BMWs. You could just test the wires in the looms in the trunk (using a multimeter) to find one with a switched 12v line or perhaps even connect it to the reverse lamps 12v line so the camera only comes on when rear gear is engaged.

The power for the monitor upfront should be just as easy. You can tap into a 12v line for the rearview mirror (check this forum for threads on installing radar detectors) if you are installing it near there or you can find a 12v switched line near the drivers side footwell and tap into that.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Thanks for the information Satishmovva.

With respect to the work under the dash, I do not like the idea of "Easter Egging" for a switched 12V source. Although I have a very high quality high impedance digital meter, I am not comfortable just testing wires with a meter due to the large number of low level data level signals that I suspect are present. I really just want to look at some of the probable devices and specifically target a wire by color code and connector location to tap into. In addition, since the backup camera is not an essential component, I want to be sure that a failure with the backup camera will not blow a fuse that will take out something much more important.

I do have the ETK that covers my Z3 and prior to the Z3 I had a real electrical manual for my M3. I am very dissapointed nothing is available to me for my new X3. As much as I love my BMWs, depriving customers that are willing to pay a reasonable price for this information does really piss me off. That certainly does not mean I would not buy another BMW but it is a chip out of everything that makes BMWs so special.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Thanks for the information Satishmovva.

With respect to the work under the dash, I do not like the idea of "Easter Egging" for a switched 12V source. Although I have a very high quality high impedance digital meter, I am not comfortable just testing wires with a meter due to the large number of low level data level signals that I suspect are present. I really just want to look at some of the probable devices and specifically target a wire by color code and connector location to tap into. In addition, since the backup camera is not an essential component, I want to be sure that a failure with the backup camera will not blow a fuse that will take out something much more important.

I do have the ETK that covers my Z3 and prior to the Z3 I had a real electrical manual for my M3. I am very dissapointed nothing is available to me for my new X3. As much as I love my BMWs, depriving customers that are willing to pay a reasonable price for this information does really piss me off. That certainly does not mean I would not buy another BMW but it is a chip out of everything that makes BMWs so special.
I hear you! I was actually under the impression that the government mandates car manufacturers provide service info and this was the reason BMW made the ETK and any special tools indy shops need available in the past; don't know what changed since.

That said, most TTL or digital comms signals in the car will be 5V so you can safely use any thing that is 12v and appears switched or better yet is on the sleep circuit. For instance when I wired my Valentine V1 into the rear view mirror loom, I tapped into the homelink 12V power line which goes to sleep shortly after the car is turned off so its perfect to run the radar detector!

There are a couple of threads on here about a radar detector install on the same line and what color wire that one is, but I simply used a multimeter to find it as there are only three wires at that part of the loom.

Others have tapped into the fuse box from a known circuit using a vampire tap on the particular fuse directly. That seems to me to be more work as you have to pull the wires up around the dash etc. Another possibility is checking the OBD socket pin out which are industry standard and tap into a 12v line on that. That should be pretty safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
...I would appreciate suggestions where I might be able to get the electrical service manual. ...
See attached, if it helps you at all.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 04_F25 General Vehicle Electronics.pdf (1.73 MB, 329 views)