BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

I've noticed a rusty/groaning/whining type noise sometimes when easing off the accelerator. This usually occurs when the engine is cooler but not all the while. I thought it only happened after washing the car but has actually happened at other times and also after dry days. It's more noticeable when I'm more exaggerated with the pedal. I.e. pressing the pedal strongly and releasing quickly and also more when going up a slight incline. The noise appears to come more from the engine area rather than the immediate area around the pedal.

I've got the car booked into the dealer but wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

The car is the 2.0D automatic M-Sport model.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
GWright
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 20D F25 Black

I had the same thought when I first got the car, but I put it down to turbo whine.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

i had this as well but the dealer couldn't find a fault so i'm stuck with it.. just turn up the music... the same for wind noise...
      07-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Your description sounds like the turbo releasing pressure and spinning down when you switch from rapid acceleration to lifting off the accelerator. Mine sounds kind of whistley-raspy when it despools.

Last edited by Nahoa; 07-03-2013 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Could be turbo related but its not a normal turbo whine/whistle as its more of a groaning sound really. I must admit I'm doubtful whether the dealer will find anything unless they've seen and rectified the problem on another car before
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

What's "normal" turbo whine? You mean it's not the same as what you've heard on other X3s? If comparing to other vehicles, I would consider the X3 vent/despool much more "raspy" in my words. I wonder if that's not what is to you a groaning sound? The "whistley" component is very slight; I think just at the beginning, kind of a quick whispy whistle then on to a raspy bit. The sound on this car iss definitely different that what I was familiar with on other cars. Anyway, just in case this additional ramble helps you evaluate whether you've got a normal or abnormal thing going on . . .
      07-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
GWright
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 20D F25 Black

Mine is a short, low howl, maybe 1 second long and only when the car is cold. Almost like the sound you get when you blow air across the top of an empty beer bottle, if that description helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Probably more similar to a howl than a whine ;-). I tend to think of a normal whine as being made whilst accelerating and not when releasing the pedal. Also on the previous model X3 I had this was more high pitched and constant. Strange thing is, this happens when going fairly slow more than fast and more noticeable if going uphill. I even think I can hear it slightly when the auto box changes gear. To get it into context if I had the radio on at a normal level I probably wouldn't hear it. Also it only happens once in every 4-5 days and even then only for the journey when the car has been left overnight or left to cool. I thought it was always after I had washed the car (thinking rust etc) but this seems to be an incorrect assumption now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

vacuum leak?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Humbug
Enlisted Member
Guernsey
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 xDrive 20d Auto

Yes, yes, yes, I've got that noise as well. Very difficult to recreate so I haven't even thought of taking it in to the dealer yet as it just isn't happening frequently enough. I thought at one stage that it was wind noise around a not quite shut window or door seal noise but I think now that it more likely something mechanical, just don't know what!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

The car is booked in at the dealer but not until 12th August, so will post back a reply after that. Not really sure they will be able to recreate but hoping they may have seen the fault before. It's in some way reassuring that someone else has the same fault. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Nad
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hi, did this get resolved/fixed. I seem to have the same issue. Thanks
Appreciate 0