BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Loaner only if you buy from dealership???

I went to the Drive Team USA Event today. The CA that went along on the test drive told me that they had loaner cars when you bring your vehicle in for maintenance but only if you buy your car from them. This was pretty shocking to me. Is this the case for others out there? I planned to shop around for the best price and service my car at this dealership since it is the closest to my home.

On another note, I learned that the battery is in the boot. Didn't realize that until today!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

The ca went around with you when you did the team
USA drive event? I was able to go by myself. I think what your dealer told you about loaners is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
USA drive event? I was able to go by myself. I think what your dealer told you about loaners is incorrect.
This time a CA went with me. The event in the winter I went alone. I believe it was because the X3 I drove was owned by the dealership and wasn't brought by the BMW Event team.

As far as loaners go, I can't believe they would diss a bmw driver regardless of where the car was bought unless they are discriminating against only competing dealerships in the vicinity. I asked him what if I moved from another state and was new to the area, they weren't going to give me a loaner??? He started to back pedal a bit but couldn't say definitively one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

At my dealership, a free of charge loaner (with a 150 mile per day limit) is provided free only to that dealership's new vehicle customers. They also note the gas gauge reading and expect the customer to refill to that level upon return. Loaners are available at a moderate (for a BMW) rental rate for repair customers who have purchased at a different dealer. The BMW NA warrantee has no provision for free loaner vehicles. Providing a loaner is a dealer's "perk" to keep customer's coming back (to them).

Batteries mounted under the trunk (boot) floor have been pretty much standard on most BMW models for many years. Better weight balance, safer in a frontal collision, less damage to the battery from high under-hood temperatures.

Now that you've solved the "Where is the battery?" question, just try and find the fuse block(s). Extra points if you don't have to look in the Owner's Manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
jaybert
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
CA went with me too on the drive. The loaners is a dealer by dealer decision I think...the one closest to me I've been told gives loaners even if you dont buy from them, but others in the area require you to buy it from them to get a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post

Now that you've solved the "Where is the battery?" question, just try and find the fuse block(s). Extra points if you don't have to look in the Owner's Manual.
What is that sitting on top of the battery? I was guessing that might be the fuse box but even the CA didn't know.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM3W View Post
What is that sitting on top of the battery? I was guessing that might be the fuse box but even the CA didn't know.
The big red thing covering the top of the battery is the emergency disconnect device that completely disconnects the battery from everything in the event of a major collision or rollover. It's best to leave it alone because it needs to be replaced if triggered.

If you must disconnect the battery (for instance if the car is being transported by ship), the proper way is to disconnect the negative (Ground or earth) cable.

Not the fuse block - not even close!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
I went to the Drive Team USA Event today. The CA that went along on the test drive told me that they had loaner cars when you bring your vehicle in for maintenance but only if you buy your car from them. This was pretty shocking to me. Is this the case for others out there? I planned to shop around for the best price and service my car at this dealership since it is the closest to my home.
Actually, I don't really have a problem with that policy. Yes to a loaner if I bought at that dealership; no a free loaner if I didn't buy there (unless I moved in from another area and told them that). Dealerships are financially driven businesses just like any other business. Loaners are an expensive item for a dealership and I can see why they wouldn't to give them out to all services customers. Sometimes ppl expect too much of a dealership - particularly after one has beaten them up pretty badly on the price or has not even bought from them.

There is "no free lunches" in the world. Nothing is really "free". Someone is paying somewhere.
      07-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

It's frankly a dumb policy from the dealer's perspective. Assume there's a reason you go to another dealership for maintenance or warranty work. If they take care of you, you come back for you next vehicle. Talk trash about how loaners are only for customers and you;re essentially bullying the potential customer. Not very clever if you want to grow your business.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Strictly a per-dealership arrangement. You might have to "appeal" to upper management, but it doesn't hurt to ask. My roof-window issue had them looking for a loaner at first. Now that the parts are in, the fix is scheduled around a loaner being available. After a couple of years doing business with them (if they keep up their end), I might graduate to something a little up the food chain than a 323i. We'll see ...

Some BMW motorcycle dealerships have service loaners, but of those that do, most want the loaner back at night. Build a relationship and getting it overnight isn't as much of an issue. After a couple more years, you might even score a demo (new BMW) for the weekend. Upon return, though, they'll usually want to know how interested you are.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Mauryt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3, 2014 428i Convertible

Garage List
2014 F33 428i  [0.00]
It is certainly a dealer by dealer decision. Dealer here will give a loaner if you buy here. MB dealership is same way. I can understand both sides, but no competition here for either dealer. Not sure what the value of a loaner is. Would guess much higher in bigger metro areas.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Definitely a dealer-specific policy. Some dealers have their own loaner fleet, while others farm it out to a rental agency like Enterprise. This should be part of your decision when choosing a dealer. My dealer has a valet service that brings the loaner to my house and picks up my car, then brings my car back after servicing (for scheduled maint only). Big selling point for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Loaners are only a good investment for the dealership, as a benefit they bring in customers who appreciate customer care. They tend to use cars that people chose not to take upon delivery or a particular non-priority-1 ordered allotment of vehicles that are then later sold as Certified Pre-Owned. They are a convenience and a privilege at best, and I'm surprised there isn't a service fee to have one. Certain, more lucrative dealerships have more, nicer loaners. The dealership I purchased from is the only one in the Chicago metropolitan area, the nearest one being at least 40 minutes outside of town, so they are very happy to provide new loaners for people who make service appointments a few days in advance (under warranty). It is hard to justify why a dealership might offer loaners to someone from another dealership without a service fee, but BMW NA should have a policy that anyone under warranty should be allowed a loaner as fitting to their everyday needs as possible. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
I planned to shop around for the best price and service my car at this dealership since it is the closest to my home.
And there you have it... it costs money to provide loaners, and it is a courtesy for customers. My dealership has the same policy, which is fine since I purchase and service all my BMWs there. My dealer also has a pickup and deliver service which is very nice because you never have to leave the house or office. That follows the same rules though.

Dealers make some money of the sale, and they make some money off the service. This is how they reward relationship customers who don't run across town to save a few hundred bucks... etc.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0