BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
andyoesq
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Tech / repair question

Hey all,
A quick question for all of you.
I just took delivery of my new x3 on Saturday. Sound was only coming out of the center console speaker. It was after the maintenance section was closed, so on Monday morning when they looked at it, they said that the amp was bad on the radio, and they needed to order a new one.
It took 4 days to get one, and they got it in today. They installed it, and they said when they were programing the computer to take the new amp, the car computer stopped communicating with the service computer, and it is basically frozen now. So they need to get a code from Germany to unlock the computer, and in essence re-install all of the software on the computer in the car.
So, here are my questions, for those of you more tech knowledgeable than me:
1) why would you have to update software for replacing an amp? Does that even sound right? If a tire was bad, you wouldn't have to program the computer. Why an amp?
2) anyone ever hear of the car stopping to communicate with the tech computer, requiring a code from Germany and a re-install of all the software?
3) they said it took 4 days to get the amp, because of a nationwide shortage of replacement amps. Anyone linked into the supply side of things, to see if that is even remotely true?
4) anyone see any of this as a cause for concern for the car? I am trying to remain calm, and not jump to conclusion / go overboard. I understand that some times new parts fail (I hate when it happens to me, but I understand it).
Thanks for any insight anyone can share on this
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyoesq View Post
Hey all,
A quick question for all of you.
I just took delivery of my new x3 on Saturday. Sound was only coming out of the center console speaker. It was after the maintenance section was closed, so on Monday morning when they looked at it, they said that the amp was bad on the radio, and they needed to order a new one.
It took 4 days to get one, and they got it in today. They installed it, and they said when they were programing the computer to take the new amp, the car computer stopped communicating with the service computer, and it is basically frozen now. So they need to get a code from Germany to unlock the computer, and in essence re-install all of the software on the computer in the car.
So, here are my questions, for those of you more tech knowledgeable than me:
1) why would you have to update software for replacing an amp? Does that even sound right? If a tire was bad, you wouldn't have to program the computer. Why an amp?
2) anyone ever hear of the car stopping to communicate with the tech computer, requiring a code from Germany and a re-install of all the software?
3) they said it took 4 days to get the amp, because of a nationwide shortage of replacement amps. Anyone linked into the supply side of things, to see if that is even remotely true?
4) anyone see any of this as a cause for concern for the car? I am trying to remain calm, and not jump to conclusion / go overboard. I understand that some times new parts fail (I hate when it happens to me, but I understand it).
Thanks for any insight anyone can share on this
1) Just speculation, but the sound system components may be protected by the vehicle's security system, so if stolen, they can't be used in another vehicle unless the vehicle is programmed to recognize the component's inbedded ID number.

2) The X3 is reputed to use (typically - depending on options) around 35 different microprocessor controllers. It's not unexpected that a communications "glitch" could lock up the system. Again, it may be part of the anti-theft "immobilizer" system that was locked up. Hopefully it's just a software issue and the software can be reloaded. Mine has had several software reloads and updates. Typically it's a one to two hour process. Even a battery replacement requires programming in a new BMW.

3) Four days is amazingly fast for replacement parts for the X3. An audio amplifier is small and light enough that it can be shipped via an air express service, so you should consider yourself lucky that it was/is so fast. My X3 was tied up for 21 days waiting for a new transfer case to be delivered! BMW NA seems to not be maintaining any significant spare parts supply for the X3 in the US as of yet.

4) Many of us have gone through (much) worse. BMW does support the X3 well via the 4-year full guarantee. Unfortunately, they tend to be slow in making decisions, the local dealerships seem to have little individual control in the decision making process and have to get approval at a national or international level (which takes time) and the parts are not available in North America.

All you can do is continue to demand that the vehicle is fixed correctly, and if you think your local dealer is giving you a run around, or is incompetent to fix the car, don't hesitate to contact BMW NA and demand satisfaction from the Customer Service department.

You are lucky that BMW NA. LLC (where the national customer Service reps are located) is in your home state:

300 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, NJ
(201) 307-4000

You can always drive over there and pound on someone's desk!

Last edited by Lotus7; 07-28-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I've sort of had #2 happen with my previous BMW. They didn't give me all the details but they said it would take 6 - 8 hours to reprogram the computer and, so they claim, it locked up and they had to redo it. (They didn't say whether they needed info from Germany or not).
Here's speculation as to your programming question: I can see programming an amp but not a tire, per your example. The electronics are pretty amazing in these cars and I'm sort of amazed things don't go out more often (Knock on Wood).
Supply for all sorts of things has been an issue because of the tsunami in Japan.
#4...It's easier said than done - and I certainly wouldn't want this with my car - but as long as this is the only issue and it gets fixed, you'll have to trust that it was a one-off.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
andyoesq
Rep

I hear you, that is why I am trying to not jump to conclusions / go overboard. I totally understand that issues arise, and of the million parts in the car, and any one can fail.
I guess the problem is that they are getting so complex, it is hard to have any independent idea of whether what they are telling you is the truth, or some b.s.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

There is SO MUCH software in these cars. Devices hang off the CANbus, the car possibly uses a MOST interface for audio connectivity. Devices have to be programmed to talk to the bus. Screw this up - you get a computer network with all sort of conflicts, hence the freeze. I believe your garage.
      07-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
I hear you, that is why I am trying to not jump to conclusions / go overboard. I totally understand that issues arise, and of the million parts in the car, and any one can fail.
I guess the problem is that they are getting so complex, it is hard to have any independent idea of whether what they are telling you is the truth, or some b.s.
Having access to this forum is very valuable in determining if your dealer is feeding you a line of B S. Many of the more typical "problems" have been discussed on the forum so there is often a chance to interact with someone who has "been there-done that".

In my case, and in the case of several other members here, we've had dealers who have been proven to blatantly lie about what they're doing to repair the car. Unfortunately, practices like that seem to be rampant within the industry (BMW seems to be no better or worse than other brands), as does pure incompetence in diagnosing problems in the increasingly complex vehicles. One must be very cautious, learn as much as you can, and double-check everything the service reps tell you if you can.

Edit: Just re-read my last sentence. Can’t believe how paranoid it sounds! BMW is making me crazy.

Last edited by Lotus7; 07-28-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

....and when I say I believe your garage I also expect they screwed up the software update.
      07-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
andyoesq
Rep

Just want to give a quick update.
Got the car back today. They installed the new amp, found the reason for the original short (apparently there was a short in one of the wires leading to one of the back speakers) and reprogram went fine. Everything looks like it is running fine now.
As a bonus, when I went to pick up the car, the maintenance manager wanted to say sorry for having to deal with these issues and not having the car for a couple of days, and saw I had two car seats in the back seat for my 2 and 4 year old boys. so he put a ride-on toy BMW motorcycle and a ride-on toy BMW 3 series in the trunk for the boys, put a new metallic coffee cup in the cup holder for me, and a $100 give card to take my wife out to dinner for the wife. very nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Just want to give a quick update.
Got the car back today. They installed the new amp, found the reason for the original short (apparently there was a short in one of the wires leading to one of the back speakers) and reprogram went fine. Everything looks like it is running fine now.
As a bonus, when I went to pick up the car, the maintenance manager wanted to say sorry for having to deal with these issues and not having the car for a couple of days, and saw I had two car seats in the back seat for my 2 and 4 year old boys. so he put a ride-on toy BMW motorcycle and a ride-on toy BMW 3 series in the trunk for the boys, put a new metallic coffee cup in the cup holder for me, and a $100 give card to take my wife out to dinner for the wife. very nice.
+1! Glad to hear they took care of you!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
It took three weeks for me dealer to get the replacement power window motor to fix my car......
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black