BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
azhar
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

regular check after breaking-in period

Does anybody call the dealership to do the regular vehicle check after breaking-in period which is around 1200 miles? Or I have to wait until the system in the car reminds me of the regular check and maintenance? I really think the first official BMW maintenance (10,000 miles or two years if I don't remember wrongly) is a little too long in terms of mileage and time. Also, will I be charged of the extra check or maintenance by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhar View Post
Does anybody call the dealership to do the regular vehicle check after breaking-in period which is around 1200 miles? Or I have to wait until the system in the car reminds me of the regular check and maintenance? I really think the first official BMW maintenance (10,000 miles or two years if I don't remember wrongly) is a little too long in terms of mileage and time. Also, will I be charged of the extra check or maintenance by BMW?
If you go by the computer I think your first free maintenance will be around 15K miles. So if you take it to the dealer earlier than that I am sure they will charge you unless you have some agreement with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
azhar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
If you go by the computer I think your first free maintenance will be around 15K miles. So if you take it to the dealer earlier than that I am sure they will charge you unless you have some agreement with them.
Hi, RxCritical
That means a long time for me to enjoy the free maintenace from BMW? As I will have a long trip in the coming vacation, I want to do a regular check with my car to ensure a safe trip. If it's as what you said, I have to pay for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Maybe you could try to get your dealer to perform a "courtesy check" for you since you are planning a long trip. I'm sure they would not change the oil or do any real work but they might just check things out (tire pressure, fluid level checks, etc) if you are not comfortable doing those things yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

What's the official mileage mark for breaking in again? 1200?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
azhar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
What's the official mileage mark for breaking in again? 1200?
The manual says it's 1200.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

The first maintenance is at 12,000 miles? I went for a test drive in the 28i and 35i and the salesman said maintenance is yearly vs 3x a year for MB (and other). Does that mean oil is not changed for entire year? I usually change oil 2000 after break in, and every 6000 km.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
The first maintenance is at 12,000 miles? I went for a test drive in the 28i and 35i and the salesman said maintenance is yearly vs 3x a year for MB (and other). Does that mean oil is not changed for entire year? I usually change oil 2000 after break in, and every 6000 km.
The much higher performance synthetic oils specified by most new car manufacturers have pushed oil change intervals out to 12 months and mileage as determined by the vehicle's usage. BMW computes the change interval by counting miles traveled, number of cold start-ups and time spent at high rpms. Miles driven while the engine is cold, and miles driven at high rpms count for more than miles under light load conditions.

My X3 now has 3000 miles (on the odo) and the time to maintenance readout is displaying "Maintenance needed in 4500 miles" which will put the first oil change at 7500 miles.

Of course, changing oil sooner won't hurt the car, and if you're planning on keeping it for more than 150,000 km, it may actually be a good idea. However, given the cost of a "non-warrantee" oil change at a BMW dealership it will be costly and will probably be wasteful of the actual oil (not just the oil itself, but the energy needed to refine it).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
x99
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D (F25) since 1 of April

new version of CBS..

The new BMW have the Condition Based System (CBS). It checks your oil quality and driving condition.

BMW X3 2.0D break-in is every 30000 Km or every 2 years in the manual. For me after driving about 2500 Km - The CBS reads break-in at 25000 Km. So it seems like the CBS does something more than just reading the distance to the break-in.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=x99;9847727]The new BMW have the Condition Based System (CBS). It checks your oil quality and driving condition.

As noted in my previous post, the CBS computes the mileage to the next oil change based on:

1. Total miles driven.

2. Number of cold start and miles driven before the engine is fully warmed up.
(miles driven when “cold" are given a much higher "weight" then miles driven when warm)

3. Percentage of miles driven at high rpm (rpm trigger value based on engine temp.) (miles driven at high rpm, typically over 4K for the petrol engines and 3K for the diesels, are given a much higher weight than low rpm miles)

There are oil level and oil temperature sensors. There is NO "oil quality" sensor.

The CBS is an algorithm that, at best, estimates the condition of the oil based on knowledge of the conditions the vehicle has been subjected to. Actually measuring the oil "quality" in any meaningful way requires testing methods beyond what would be practical to install on a moving vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

Ok, thanks for the info. My previous vehicles when I use synthetic I still do oil changes every 6000 km or 2500 miles or so. If I do go ahead with the X3 purchase the first 4 year of maintenance is included. That would basically mean 4 oil changes, and my guess is plugs don't need to be changed for does that mean may be an air filter change or fluid level check is all that is involved?
May be a radiator flush. If that is the case then the 4 years of free maintenance isn't that much money?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
Ok, thanks for the info. My previous vehicles when I use synthetic I still do oil changes every 6000 km or 2500 miles or so. If I do go ahead with the X3 purchase the first 4 year of maintenance is included. That would basically mean 4 oil changes, and my guess is plugs don't need to be changed for does that mean may be an air filter change or fluid level check is all that is involved?
May be a radiator flush. If that is the case then the 4 years of free maintenance isn't that much money?
Yes, it only covers (4) oil/filter changes, but does cover anything else that wears out or needs periodic replacement except tires including brake pads, cabin air filter, engine air filter, wiper blades, coolant, brake fluid, etc. Believe the plugs are good for 100k miles. Fuel filter is part of the low pressure pump assb. and gets replaced when the fuel pump is replaced.
Appreciate 0