BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

Early 2012 throttle lag / build quality

My 2012 x3 28i is nearly 2 years old and has 55,000 miles. No major problems, but just a couple of annoying things that are of concern. This is an early 2012, built in 10/2011.

1. Throttle lag. I have had 2 different software updates performed on the car. The first one solved the lag from a dead stop, but the hesitation when accelerating from 5-25 mph was still there. The second update did not seem to correct the problem. When you hit the gas, the car always seems like it is in too high of a gear and the engine lags until the transmission decides to kick down. It also still feels like there is a delay in the throttle and transmission response. I think there is still a bit of a problem with the programming. Of course the dealer says everything is OK since it isn't throwing any codes.

2. Quality of materials. Cheap plastic pieces are breaking and falling off. I keep finding the plastic clips that go on the end of the front seat tracks, on the floor. I also had to have several parts of the rear hatch replaced. There are plastic covers that snap on the body of the car next to the tail lights. Both of them broke and fell off. The ground strap between the tailgate and body came apart where the wire crimps to the connector. The covers on the back of the lift gate that allow access to the backup lights kept falling off, until I had them replaced. One of the taillights became misaligned and was preventing the tailgate from closing properly. Additionally, one of the "fingers" on the cupholder broke off. When I was at the dealer, they said "oh, gee you are out of warranty now (5,000 miles, really?) so it will be 250 dollars to replace it. I politely declined, and reminded them that this is the 5th car I bought from them in the last 15 years. Of course that didn't matter, at all.

Previously, I had a 2005 X3. Sure, the interior wasn't as nice, but that car seemed a lot more durable and the engine/transmission response was more like what you would expect. The new X3 wasn't cheap, and it is disappointing to see parts falling off the car when it is less than 2 years old.

How are the rest of you making out with your 2011/early 2012 28is?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Sorry to hear about your problems, I cannot say we have the same quality issues as you have. Our X3 is one years and it has been solid, not one loose panel or squeak so far. All of the new BMW try to achieve the highest MPG as possible, sometimes it will get caught in too high of a gear. Resetting the transmission sometimes help for a while. This problem is not as bad in the 35i because the increase in HP can over come somewhat for being in too high of a gear. You might want to drive the car in sport mode for better throttle response or drive the car more aggressively once a while to teach the transmission to stay in lower gear. Of course your gas mileage will suffer in either scenario.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Hi.

I have a 2013 (built 05/2012) with 16K Kms on it. It's been flawless so far, impeccable build, no squeaking or parts falling off. I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Cheers.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

botwin, maybe you are experiencing typical automotive 1st year production teething problems.

My car is a April 2012 build and I don't have similar issues.
      10-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Mine is exact same model, 10/2011 build date 28i...issue 1 still persists and it's the most annoying thing (apart from poor cabin insulation, cheap interior, 18mpg avg, flimsy paint job, ho hum braking) for any car to drive. As of this morning it has 14,500 miles and I am still not confident with gas pedal's behavior. Sometimes it will think twice before moving and sometimes it will move off like straight out of canon. I think the 8 spd transmission is not optimized for N52 engine and will be never ever. Wish I had leased this car instead of purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
vptrails
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botwin View Post
My 2012 x3 28i is nearly 2 years old and has 55,000 miles. No major problems, but just a couple of annoying things that are of concern. This is an early 2012, built in 10/2011.

1. Throttle lag. I have had 2 different software updates performed on the car. The first one solved the lag from a dead stop, but the hesitation when accelerating from 5-25 mph was still there. The second update did not seem to correct the problem. When you hit the gas, the car always seems like it is in too high of a gear and the engine lags until the transmission decides to kick down. It also still feels like there is a delay in the throttle and transmission response. I think there is still a bit of a problem with the programming. Of course the dealer says everything is OK since it isn't throwing any codes.

2. Quality of materials. Cheap plastic pieces are breaking and falling off. I keep finding the plastic clips that go on the end of the front seat tracks, on the floor. I also had to have several parts of the rear hatch replaced. There are plastic covers that snap on the body of the car next to the tail lights. Both of them broke and fell off. The ground strap between the tailgate and body came apart where the wire crimps to the connector. The covers on the back of the lift gate that allow access to the backup lights kept falling off, until I had them replaced. One of the taillights became misaligned and was preventing the tailgate from closing properly. Additionally, one of the "fingers" on the cupholder broke off. When I was at the dealer, they said "oh, gee you are out of warranty now (5,000 miles, really?) so it will be 250 dollars to replace it. I politely declined, and reminded them that this is the 5th car I bought from them in the last 15 years. Of course that didn't matter, at all.

Previously, I had a 2005 X3. Sure, the interior wasn't as nice, but that car seemed a lot more durable and the engine/transmission response was more like what you would expect. The new X3 wasn't cheap, and it is disappointing to see parts falling off the car when it is less than 2 years old.

How are the rest of you making out with your 2011/early 2012 28is?
There is a service bulletin, SI B12 09 12, that addresses the lag problem you are describing but it appears to only apply the N55 engine (35i) model. The bulletin was released in November of 2012. I got this attached copy of the bulletin from someone else. Once applied, it corrected that very problem you describe even though the bulletin itself is labelled as "intermittent loss of power." Maybe there is a separate one for the 28i and this could point you in that direction. Hope it helps.

As far as material breaking or misaligning, I have not had any of those problems . . . at least yet. I only have about 20,000 miles on my vehicle right now.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B12 09 12.pdf (76.4 KB, 1291 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Mine is also a 10/2011 build 2012 28i. Issue 1 comes and goes and seems more prevalent when the AC is on vs off. I don't drive much so have under 9K miles on it. The interior quality does concern me a little - I'm afraid the dashboard and door panels may begin to tick/squeak or rattle in the future. The engine is great, glad I have the natural aspirated inline 6 which I'm confident will run forever. I've been driving BMW since 1987 and they are definitely not as well built now being so mass produced. I still love the X3 more than its competition. I'd never buy Asian.
Where do we go next for higher build quality...Benz??
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
there is another TSB for throttle delay issue..pfa. I have setup an appointment coming wknd for this s/w update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
[Update]
I got the s/w updated as per TSB - "SIB-24-03-13" and wow, I can really feel the difference. Before the update I noticed the delay almost 90% of time when i press the gas pedal after braking/slowing down and now its like only 10%, rest of the time I am getting an instant response. I can see the downshift happens pretty quick as soon as you tip-in the gas pedal...earlier it used to downshift only after 1 or 2 secs. I don't mind if this reduces mpg as long as I don't feel any delays.

I got a loaner 2014 X1 28i, which didn't had any throttle delay at lower speeds. I did notice delays if you accelerate above 50mph, now my car's throttle response behaves the same or even better than the x1. Even though X1 is smaller than X3, it didn't have quick reflexes or agility as the X3, I felt like driving a big/heavy car & couldn't turn the steering wheel with one hand.

I highly recommend this update to all 2011/2012 X3 28i owners!

p.s.: "SIB-24-02-12" fixes the throttle delay when you accelerate from complete stop and "SIB-24-03-13" fixes the delay after slowing down or during mid-range acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Can you tell me if after you had this update done, when you open your sunroof, does it slide back and stop at the comfort position, or does it go past the comfort position to the full open position? Reason I ask is after I had the update SIB-24-02-12 installed a couple months ago, my sunroof always opens to the full open position now & my service advisor said it was part of the reprogramming from that bulletin. I'm hoping another update like this one will fix it back to the way it was if I get it done. Most of my throttle lag has disappeared after SIB 24-02-12, but Ill be sure to ask for this one as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
mine doesn't have Prem Pkg...so no panoramic sunroof.

I think you meant SI B12 09 12, since SI B24-02-12 was very old and released during Apr 2012.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Interesting comments on the throttle lag. I had the original SB done for the issue. It did improve things. But, lately the lag seems to have reared it head again. Pulled out of a lane the other day and started mumbling oh sh*t, go! Going in for service soon; now I'll bring it up.

As for the plastic covers for the rear tail light access. After about the 50th time of re-inserting them, I bought a couple of small black pan head screws last week at the hardware store and installed one on each side. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #13
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Can you tell me if after you had this update done, when you open your sunroof, does it slide back and stop at the comfort position, or does it go past the comfort position to the full open position? Reason I ask is after I had the update SIB-24-02-12 installed a couple months ago, my sunroof always opens to the full open position now & my service advisor said it was part of the reprogramming from that bulletin. I'm hoping another update like this one will fix it back to the way it was if I get it done. Most of my throttle lag has disappeared after SIB 24-02-12, but Ill be sure to ask for this one as well.
Actually I have a similar sunroof issue. I have not yet testet the slide to open part, but when I want to close the sunroof from tilted position, it Closes as normal but the roof/light cover fully Closes as well. This is definately new after the update. Will test the slide open later today.

Most of my throttle lag has also disapeard after the update, but it's still present. The are working on another 30d car right now that has the same issue as mine. This time they want to pick the engine apart to change some sensors in there... Luckily the want to do this to the other car first to see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Actually I have a similar sunroof issue. I have not yet testet the slide to open part, but when I want to close the sunroof from tilted position, it Closes as normal but the roof/light cover fully Closes as well. This is definately new after the update. Will test the slide open later today.

Most of my throttle lag has also disapeard after the update, but it's still present. The are working on another 30d car right now that has the same issue as mine. This time they want to pick the engine apart to change some sensors in there... Luckily the want to do this to the other car first to see if it helps.
Yeah, mine does that too since the last update. Why they would reprogram it this way is beyond me. Hoping one of these current updates puts it back to the way it used to work which seemed much more logical!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

My father has a my11 Sept2011 build with no quality issues detected... he does have the throttle lag problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Well know you've got a solution. The dealership along with the attached tsb's should sort things out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
My father has a my11 Sept2011 build with no quality issues detected... he does have the throttle lag problem.
      11-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Well know you've got a solution. The dealership along with the attached tsb's should sort things out.
yeah, the home dealership (Quinn Group, downtown) found no trouble codes so declined to supply the software update... will be doing my servicing (and probably my shopping) elsewhere in the future.

I have a late MY2013 with no discernable quality issues (aside from cheap plastics).

Last edited by pokerface; 11-08-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

When I bought my car in February 2012, I was anticipating a problem with the throttle as it was clear during my test-drives the 2012 and earlier cars had a problem. During test-drives the throttle felt more like a on/off switch than a variable pedal. I almost did not buy the car because of the fault.

After I ordered my car I started researching the design fault and found a 3rd party which supposedly had a solution to the issue.

In the end, my car was delivered with the updated software so I have had no problems.

If my car had the design fault, I would definitely have purchased the 3rd part solution or paid BMW to apply the listed TSB's.

The original design fault is/was inexcusable.