BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

UK 3.0d delivery report

So the car is gorgeous and just, well, looks bigger than photos suggest. It just looks and feels impressive. Here are a few initial observations in the hope they are of use to others:

Drive: having stepped out of a Merc straight into the X3, the immediate impression is not just the space and size but also the quiet engine and the smooth ride - a very pleasant and plush surprise. Despite not getting VDC I am super impressed by the way rough surfaces disappear. And the power is just effortless - just like a turbo charged magic carpet.*

Sunroof: just enormous and transforms the interior when shade open.*

Sports steering wheel and seats: another must for me - just a joy to use and very easy to adapt to your needs. They feel special.*

Build quality: generally superb, I did find a few paint blisters which clearly should not have got through QA.*

Power boot: the 5 aperture opening settings offeted remove the risk of smacking the lid on low objects, garage roof etc. Very handy for that alone.*

Music: MP3 files onto pen drive, attach in glove box, et voila now they are on the car hard drive. Easy. Bye bye CDs. *

Topview camera: very very useful, though because you see the whole car it can be hard to see small details. So parallel parking becomes easy but avoiding something smaller than say a coke can size - no - you probably won't see it unless you stare really closely at the screen. Still hugely useful, although note that if you fold the mirrors, drive beyond crawl or open the boot then all the cameras deactivate. This means if you have a narrow garage entrance you can use the slight forward view of the cameras to line up, fold them to enter, then open them once inside to ensure you can see exactly where your garage junk is! Bit of a fiddle but if it saves your flanks ......

Emergency tyre kit: by re-inflating and using the tyre sealant that comes with non-run flat cars you are in effect creating a temporary run flat tyre after your puncture, which probably cannot be reliably repaired, as the sealant may have concealed damage elsewhere. So, punctures remain expensive inconvenient bad news and if you use the get home kit you may have to throw the tyre away.*

Sat nav: seems a bit of a fiddle to add new points of interest but you only do it once per place!

Apps: yes, the lights can be flashed, doors locked and unlocked. Takes over a minute to do this - maybe up to 3, which is not really long but seems like it is. The fuel level App seems only to work for me if the iPhone is attached to to the central arm rest USB port, which is pretty pointless when I can see the fuel gauge. Hope future updates justify 6NR expense.*

Tyres: in the UK, BMW seem to deliver all cars on summer tyres, regardless of time of year. Most people don't seem to mind this, until they hit some snow but it is interesting that those in the know switch to winters Oct to Mar.*

Stop / start: queues now feel a bit less frustrating as at least the mpg display stays rock steady. Other cars suddenly seem noisy and wasteful.*

Split fold rear seats: useful obviously.*

Holding down key fob lock button: shows the car is locked as the wing mirrors fold in (if you paid for that option).*

More as it happens, if it's of interest.*
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

nice report and what an engine
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Thanks for the report.
On the emergency repair kit, I'm sure I read somewhere that nowadays the gunk can be washed out allowing a more permanent repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

thanks for that. Really looking forward to ours arriving now and so glad I made the change to the 3.0d.
      09-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Congratulations and thanks for posting feedback . It's been quite a wait for you. All sounds pretty good. What does the asterisk mean? Is it like the one in the manual?!

Oh and ....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Congratulations Pictures Please, my X3 M Sport 35D is on order for december time (fully loaded) I am very please that your cabin is quiet with the diesel engine. Whats the performance like please?. Thanks J
      09-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Will try for pics tho hard to do with my IT setup. Still being very gentle with the power fit first 1000 miles but what I can say is put the foot down and it goes off like a race horse. You need the sport seats to hold you. Flick it into sport or sport + (I have performance control) and it is slightly frightening as the traffi below blurs past - it is like a 2 ton magic carpet. Going for the twin turbo version would require a track day pass to justify it for me. Fuel? Been seeing the odd 40 but 30s in heavy stop start traffic whilst it breaks in.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Having our 30d for 3 weeks now, my comments pretty much match what has been said here. I'm so pleased I made the decision to pay the extra over the 20d and get the 30d. Not so convinced about the merit of the 35d (which at this stage is not confirmed for Oz). The 35d only reduces the 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) time from 6.2 to 5.8 seconds compared with 8.5 seconds for the 20d. A case I think of "deminishing returns".

Comments on the OP's comments :-

Power tailgate - yes it is good but I wish the 5 steps where more weighted toward the fully open end. Instead they seem to be evenly placed. As a result, fully open just touches a beam in the garage, while in position 4, its loo low to walk under.

Power side mirrors - wish they could be folded in with every time you lock the car. Yes I know they will fold in if you hold down on the lock button, but it would be far simplier if they did it with a normal lock. I've had this on previous cars and its a great visual indication - from some distance away - that your car is locked.

Fuel consumption with < 1,000 km is also much in line with above - 7.8-8.2 l/100km (mid-30s miles/Igal) on my daily commute, with 6.7 l/100 km (42 miles/Igal) on the one country run we have had.

Tony

Last edited by brissim; 09-02-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Tailgate: yep, it needs more than 5 settings to cover almost 180 degrees. If they bother, would be an easy upgrade.

Power mirrors: yes again. Everytime you fold them you have to hold the key button so long it also partly closed the roof sun shade! Clearly not thought out and again should be upgraded if they bother.

* in my original report: iPhone being, well, an iPhone. No idea where they came from.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
* in my original report: iPhone being, well, an iPhone. No idea where they came from.
I thought the *s were censored profanities brought on my unadulterated joy

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I thought the *s were censored profanities brought on my unadulterated joy
Sounds like I am going to enjoy this car, is it nice and quiet inside please?. Thanks J
      09-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep it is quiet by my standards. With the roof fully open there is a disappointing boom issue but trapped air in anybar will do that- just open a window and it vanishes. The gearbox I so smooth it is not really noticeable. I had no idea what gear I am
in most of the time but with the reserve of power and kick down it really makes no difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Yep it is quiet by my standards. With the roof fully open there is a disappointing boom issue but trapped air in anybar will do that- just open a window and it vanishes.
I noticed this on my test drive, this will be the reason for the 1st "comfort" position as the boom is much lessened when in this position. I'm waited for Friday, moving from a 335i Vert is quite a change but I know I'm going to enjoy the X3.
      09-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep it is quiet by my standards. With the roof fully open there is a disappointing boom issue but trapped air in anybar will do that- just open a window and it vanishes. The gearbox I so smooth it is not really noticeable. I had no idea what gear I am
in most of the time but with the reserve of power and kick down it really makes no difference.
Thanks for that one last question: Do the sports seats Have adjustable side bolsters?. thanks J
      09-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Thanks for that one last question: Do the sports seats Have adjustable side bolsters?. thanks J
Yes, they have electric adjustment - the only std electrics on the seat.
      09-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Exactly right. There is a rocker switch which inflates and deflates two balloons that form around the lumber region (basically kidney area!). You can set them to be just as you like - they kind of hug you, which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
Broch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d M-Sport

Thanks guys for all your feedback with regards to your cars.
I've still to spec my X3, and all this feedback helps no end.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Decide on SE or M - all about looks and personal taste then basically start with all options, delete HUD unless you are a pilot, VDC unless you need super suspension and then see what you can afford / justify, noting big dealers are discounting a bit if pushed. Gets very expensive very fast but there are fairly strong arguments for pretty much everything else. That is the way BMW plan it and my bank manager knows they are good at it.

The cameras make parking within bays or street markings an art form to be done at speed for anyone watching - know exactly if you are into that double yellow area or not without needing to hang out the door like you are vomiting. Mirrors are just for seeing who you just overtook, if they are not too small to spot as you hit Resume Cruise Control.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Congrats X3buyer, your giving me buyers regret not waiting for the 30d now. 2.5 years till i order next car! Enjoy!

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Ta Bimmer. Had a cruise today. From the inside, even from stone cold the engine sounds suprisingly smooth and unlike a diesel. Whilst cold / cool, the mpg was around 30 but once warm with the cruise set at 60mpg returned 39.2 which is not bad for such an early phase of breaking it in. Think the published figures may be possible once the car has settled in but as others have said seem a bit of a stretch at the moment. No complaints tho as the power is fantastic. You actually need to wear light shoes to keep within speed limits.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Yes, they have electric adjustment - the only std electrics on the seat.
thanks for that I have ordered the "Electric seat" option so that will be on it as well great.
      09-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Hows the economy coming along after a few weeks?. Thanks