BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
sam964
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 Xdrive48i

BMW X3 35i M sport Handling

Hi everyone,

I am considering getting a BMW X3 35i, with the M package, and I was wondering what you guys though of the handling of the car. Does it feel light and nimble around corners? How firm is the suspension? Would it be a fun car to drive on a twisty road?

The reason I ask is because it is very important to me for my car to be well handling and sporty, I want an SUV with sports car feels to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam964 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering getting a BMW X3 35i, with the M package, and I was wondering what you guys though of the handling of the car. Does it feel light and nimble around corners? How firm is the suspension? Would it be a fun car to drive on a twisty road?

The reason I ask is because it is very important to me for my car to be well handling and sporty, I want an SUV with sports car feels to it.
Drive it. You'll be hooked.
Admittedly I only have the diesel in that spec, but still, it is a great handling car with performance to burn.
I have waxed lyrical about its track and twisty mountain road performance on tis forum.
Six months in to ownership. Its still great.
I just drive a bit more sedately with the strife and lids in the car now as they think I am too much of a hoon.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Short on from about this time last year:

Took it for a drive through the back country roads in the area of Harper's Ferry yesterday. Smallish farm roads, twisty, hilly, fairly, rough. Was a blast! This car is great fun. So much more like a sedan or coupe than I'd even hoped. Tons of power for accelerating out if turns and up hills. Firm, but comfortable over railroad tracks. Great on a rutted gravel road (put my former 4Runner to shame in terms of traction, speed, and comfort). Traction control worked to provide a satisfying track on the loose gravel w/o any noticeable spin, slide, or loss of acceleration -- I'm sure there was, but all nicely within bounds.

Still think it's a great drive! Very pleased. When I'd had to sell my previous 330i and was "stuck" with the 4Runner for a time, I was an unhappy camper. No comparison. It's not exactly the same as the 330i, but I have as much fun with it as I did with the 330i and there are some things I like better.
      03-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam964
Hi everyone,

I am having a blast with mine. It handles quite well around the bends and has excellent acceleration, especially for an SUV. If you're getting m-sport, definitely opt for dynamic handling package...I use it constantly.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

Well I can't wait. My X3 35i M with DHP was received in early February. The dealership convinced me to avoid driving in the Sport or + mode until I have 'broken in' the car ~ 1000 miles. Even said to avoid manual mode.

So, I've kept in Normal but definitely varied the rpm and speeds. The other point from the dealership (which I think is valid) is one appreciates the sport handling and DHP if you've first grown accustom to the normal mode.

So, regardless, I'm just turning 1000 miles and look forward to enhanced performance this week!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

They don't allow test drives in Canada?

This is totally subjective. The x3 is basically just a tall wagon, so of course it handles better than a lot of other SUV's.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

One point to consider, the 35i M sport handling will be the same as the non-M sport package as it has the 'standard' suspension.

I think the correct questions should be if the Dynamic Comfort Package (or whatever it is called in other markets which include dynamic dampers) improves cornering capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
One point to consider, the 35i M sport handling will be the same as the non-M sport package as it has the 'standard' suspension.

I think the correct questions should be if the Dynamic Comfort Package (or whatever it is called in other markets which include dynamic dampers) improves cornering capabilities.

It does; I notice less body roll in Sport/Sport +.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

I got my 35i M Sport last Wednesday, the normal and M-Sport suspension is the same. It is sporty, fun and nimble on standard suspension and rides really well. I also have DHP but I haven't tested the handling yet. From what I heard it is pretty much a tall 335 as far as handling. I strongly recommend a test drive. Overall the X3 is a great all around vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytnt View Post
Well I can't wait. My X3 35i M with DHP was received in early February. The dealership convinced me to avoid driving in the Sport or + mode until I have 'broken in' the car ~ 1000 miles. Even said to avoid manual mode.

So, I've kept in Normal but definitely varied the rpm and speeds. The other point from the dealership (which I think is valid) is one appreciates the sport handling and DHP if you've first grown accustom to the normal mode.

So, regardless, I'm just turning 1000 miles and look forward to enhanced performance this week!
so why did they tell you to avoid the sport mode or manual mode? The manual just says not to exceed 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles, not to use full throttle and not to use the kickdown (whatever that is ). I think if you drive it reasonably you'll be ok. I've tried the sport mode for just a little to see how it is and used the manual a few times but not to excess. Maybe they think if your going to go into sport mode that you'll be tempted to start playing.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
so why did they tell you to avoid the sport mode or manual mode? The manual just says not to exceed 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles, not to use full throttle and not to use the kickdown (whatever that is ). I think if you drive it reasonably you'll be ok. I've tried the sport mode for just a little to see how it is and used the manual a few times but not to excess. Maybe they think if your going to go into sport mode that you'll be tempted to start playing.
YEP, probably just a precaution... MHO, if you take it easy (i.e., avoid high rpm), there's no problem. For me, now that I've gotten very familiar in Normal, I look forward to noticing true performance differences...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
It does; I notice less body roll in Sport/Sport +.
I don't understand why it should have less body roll... The Sport mode only increases the damping rate, no effect on the roll bars (like on the 5-series) and no effect with spring rate.

Personally, I don't feel any difference in body roll between Normal and Sport. The car is obviously more damped, but in a tight corner, no body roll difference...

Or am I missing something ? (yes, my Sport setting modifies my steering AND chassis)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

What caused you to conclude Sport only adjusts the damping rate? Where is that stated or explained?
      03-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
dznutz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M550i

Because how can it effect the tension of the sway bar/bushings or the springs?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
I don't understand why it should have less body roll... The Sport mode only increases the damping rate, no effect on the roll bars (like on the 5-series) and no effect with spring rate.

Personally, I don't feel any difference in body roll between Normal and Sport. The car is obviously more damped, but in a tight corner, no body roll difference...

Or am I missing something ? (yes, my Sport setting modifies my steering AND chassis)
Stiffer dampers would absolutely have an impact on roll resistance, and directional stability or turn-in.
Appreciate 0