BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Missing UK Postcodes + Direct Map Destination Input + Andriod App Crash :-(

Hi,
Only the second long trip out in the X3 and the satnav has let me down twice. For some reason it couldn't find the two postcodes in two day. I had to resort to using the Navfree app on the wife's iphone :-(

Anyway- can anyone UK based, check the two postcodes I needed. GL7 6DN & GL7 6BG.

On top of the above, I thought lets be smart and use my Galaxy S2 for the BMW App to send the location to the X3. Apart from virtually no mobile signal where we were staying, the Android App kept coming up 'Software Error/ Restart Application'. No joy after restarting phone, and good signal.

Then I thought- I know the rough area where I'm going to lets use the map input. Now unless I'm missing something obvious, I couldn't do it. All I wanted to do was scroll around the map and highlight my destination and go. On my previous satnav I could also enter a postcode, and then show the destination on the map, then manually move the cursor to the exact point on the map, click on Go to This Destination.

HELP! Please
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

No, mine won't accept them either - it's an Aug 12 by the way. By co-incidence I walked passed there last week to complete the Thames Path walk - small world!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Any ideas, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Any ideas, anyone?
I tested the GL7 6DN & GL7 6BG on my Dec 2011 built 2012 X3 and it also doesn't recognize those post codes. I wonder how many more missing postcodes there are?

I went to google - Maps and tested that GL7 6DN was valid. It was - Somerford Keynes, Gloucestershire GL7 6DN. I then sent it to the car.

It arrived as Somerford Keynes, Gloucestershire GL7 6D ie the last digit (N) was missing, but the location looked correct.

Is using Google Maps and sending the results to the car a workaround for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
Is using Google Maps and sending the results to the car a workaround for you?
I would have used Google Maps 'send' if I'd been near a PC. Unless I'm missing something you can't directly use the mobile version of google maps. So I have to use the one built into the BMW Connected Drive app- just, you guessed it keeps crashing.

My backup plan was to select the area manually directly from scrolling and zooming around the map in the X3, but I can't find out how to select a destination directly from the map.

Missing postcodes are not good on a £37k car
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Don't feel bad - I've lived in my house for 12 years and my 2013 BMW can't/will not let me program my address. My 2007 Acura TL-S found it the first day I drove it home from the dealer.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Found an answer to one question. There is an Android app that gives me the send to car functionality https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...endtocar&hl=en
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something you can't directly use the mobile version of google maps. So I have to use the one built into the BMW Connected Drive app- just, you guessed it keeps crashing.
You can't send from Google Maps Mobile and even using full Google Maps on a mobile doesn't work (or didn't use to). The only option I know is the BMW Connected Drive app which works for latest iOS6 but looks like there are some Android issues.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
but I can't find out how to select a destination directly from the map.
I don't think you can unless you drive there first and then add current location as a destination (which kinda defeats the object!)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #10
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Found an answer to one question. There is an Android app that gives me the send to car functionality https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...endtocar&hl=en
Used the Send to Car app- brilliant! Just use normal Google Maps on my andriod, find the location, click on share, select send to car- Job Done :-)

Appreciate 0