BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

why no lane departure and active cruise control?

BMW has these options on other models, why not on the X3. It is new model? I was very disappointed that I could not get these on my X335.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Maybe they assume x3 drivers are more likely to pay attention while driving?

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

They're both coming, but who knows when. If you look at the main instrument display, lit by sunlight behind you, you can see the features already printed on the display ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Strategic move of BMW..

Offer at low price > increased sales > more features > improved model > and new sales in the established market.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

Active Cruise Control vs. CC "With Brake Function"

ACC is advertised as an option in the UK brochure (has been since launch in Dec 2010) but is still not available as an option. UK spec cars come with regular cruise control "with brake function" as standard. "Brake function" is simply that touching the brake automatically disengages CC. Big deal. Old technology. In fact so old as to be a minimum safety requirement in my view. I did once own a 1972 Alfa Romeo 1300 GT Junior which had a really scary CC: an almost-unreachable lever that simply locked the throttle cable in its current position. Only way to disengage was to push the lever back. Drop the clutch without and engine instantly redlines off the scale. Need to brake in a hurry and you either fight the engine with the brakes or wreck it by dropping the clutch. Like I said, scary! But it was such a beautiful car...

Here is a snip from the current UK X3 brochure:
Attached Images

01-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbadger View Post
ACC is advertised as an option in the UK brochure (has been since launch in Dec 2010) but is still not available as an option. UK spec cars come with regular cruise control "with brake function" as standard. "Brake function" is simply that touching the brake automatically disengages CC. Big deal. Old technology. In fact so old as to be a minimum safety requirement in my view. I did once own a 1972 Alfa Romeo 1300 GT Junior which had a really scary CC: an almost-unreachable lever that simply locked the throttle cable in its current position. Only way to disengage was to push the lever back. Drop the clutch without and engine instantly redlines off the scale. Need to brake in a hurry and you either fight the engine with the brakes or wreck it by dropping the clutch. Like I said, scary! But it was such a beautiful car...

Here is a snip from the current UK X3 brochure:
Actually break function will break the X3 when going downhill (instead of coasting) to maintain set speed. It works well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

Thanks Harplayr! I didn't know this. All the brochure says is this. I guess it can be implied, but most CC systems I have used only reduce speed by decelerating. Applying the brake to slow could be argued to be "active"
Attached Images

01-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
They're both coming, but who knows when. If you look at the main instrument display, lit by sunlight behind you, you can see the features already printed on the display ready to go.
Not exactly true... you can find the same symbols in the E90 3 series instrument cluster... and that never got the features. It's just a common cluster used in other models that do offer the feature.

However, it does seem likely that BMW will offer these features with the LCI to stay competitive.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep

Still, lane departure available on 5 series and others, ACC available it looks like on everything else but maybe 1. I think they need this to stay competitive. Will be interesting to see what is coming for next year.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Still, lane departure available on 5 series and others, ACC available it looks like on everything else but maybe 1. I think they need this to stay competitive. Will be interesting to see what is coming for next year.
The new F30 3 Series has it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
bren
user
Rep

Do you really have that much trouble keeping the car between the lines?

No way do I want some computer vibrating the steering wheel and flashing dash lights at me. Sounds like maybe you need to take the train.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

No way do I want some computer vibrating the steering wheel and flashing dash lights at me. Sounds like maybe you need to take the train.
Although I agree with the sentiment, it is a very useful safety feature for those times when you suddenly feel tired and want to stop ASAP but can't do so safely. I would also insist on having it switched on with mrs sfax at the wheel as she has been known to drift and then deny all knowledge

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I would also insist on having it switched on with mrs sfax at the wheel as she has been known to drift and then deny all knowledge
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lane Departure is a very useful safety feature specially when you are tired and there are chances of drifting to side lane. I got a life once when my eyes got closed for few seconds while driving in fortunately slow traffic. I will go for this feature any day available.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
jdmass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

I had lane departure and ACC on an Infiniti M and would not get them again. Lane departure in particular was so annoying that I disabled it. It would vibrate any time you approached the center line. I really enjoy driving and this was a constant nag. ACC wasn't bad but I'm not a big CC user and just didn't find it that useful for the substantial cost.

Now I did test drive an A6 with blind spot alerting and did kind of like that.
Previous BMWs: 2000 528i, 2003 540i, 2007 335i Sedan, 2009 335i Sedan, 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Lane Departure is a very useful safety feature specially when you are tired and there are chances of drifting to side lane. I got a life once when my eyes got closed for few seconds while driving in fortunately slow traffic. I will go for this feature any day available.
Yeah that's great - let's get more options that allow us to nap and check our email while behind the wheel "driving."
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass View Post
I had lane departure and ACC on an Infiniti M and would not get them again. Lane departure in particular was so annoying that I disabled it. It would vibrate any time you approached the center line. I really enjoy driving and this was a constant nag. ACC wasn't bad but I'm not a big CC user and just didn't find it that useful for the substantial cost.

Now I did test drive an A6 with blind spot alerting and did kind of like that.
We need a good Lane Departure system and not just one. I am not aware of BMW system but we have C63 AMG and its Lane Departure with Blind Sot detection is superb, we enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Yeah that's great - let's get more options that allow us to nap and check our email while behind the wheel "driving."
So, I'm guessing you're also not a fan of the brake light warning sensors either?
      01-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
So, I'm guessing you're also not a fan of the brake light warning sensors either?
I'm not sure I know to what you are referring, but exactly what part of paying attention while driving do they negate?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Sorry, was trying to joke to reinforce your point -- how goofy would it be to have a sensor that identified brake lights ahead so we didn't need to watch for them ourselves. Apparently the joke didn't quite make it!!
      01-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Sorry, was trying to joke to reinforce your point -- how goofy would it be to have a sensor that identified brake lights ahead so we didn't need to watch for them ourselves. Apparently the joke didn't quite make it!!
Hahaha, I wasn't sure how to take that.

Actually though, that's basically what's being advocated for with this auto cruise control gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #22
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep

I am for anything that improves safety. How many times have you been playing with idrive, on the phone, reading the phone and looked up and said, wow. Maybe everyone on this forum strictly adheres to only driving while completely alert and only looks at the road. So that is 0.01% of all drivers. For the other 99.99%, these things make safer situations. It's like saying, well we don't need a 3d brake light, they guy behind should be paying attention, we don't need running lights, you should be able to see the car, we don't need airbags, seatbelts are enough, we don't need mapquest, you can look at a map, we don't need navigation, isn't mapquest enough. Back in my day, we had to walk 8 mi to school , uphill each way, in the snow, with just newspapers on our feet.
Appreciate 0