BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

X3 Pirelli Cinturato P7s

POST DELETED

Last edited by Lotus7; 02-05-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Though they did put Summer Continentals on my 309’s, sadly.
      02-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
mike185
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 X28i ; M235i xdrive Convert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Although this was discussed in a buried tangent on another thread, I thought it was important enough to warrant its own specific thread attention.

One of the OEM tires that new North American X3's are being supplied with is the Pirelli Cinturato P7. Several forum members have questioned BMW's choice of equipping a car with a "Summer Only" tire for all around applications.

I'm cross posting my reply to this issue here to warn owners about mixing Summer P7s with the tire that is being supplied by BMW on new X3s.

Actually, most Pirelli Cinturato P7s are "Summer" tires and not recommended for use at temperatures below 7 Deg. C.

However, the P7s being supplied on new North American X3s are a different breed. They have a quite different tread pattern that is less asymmetric, have smaller outer tread blocks and more fine "siping" and presumably a different rubber compound since the "summer" P7 has a UTQG treadwear rating of 260, and the "All Season" version has a UTQG rating of 500. So far these are a “BMW” OEM only design. They are clearly marked (in big letters) as being “All Season” tires.

Obviously, it’s confusing for a company to make two different tires with the same model name. Technically these tires are ”Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season” as opposed to “Pirelli Cinturato P7”. I suspect that if someone unknowingly mixed the two types of P7's on the same vehicle they might have a really evil handling car as a result.

I was a little skeptical (of their all-weather performance), but did drive the car in several inches of snow and slush and they worked fine. Not as good as the LM-25 Blizzaks I’m used to using, but they were perfectly drivable and were not the handful that summer only tires are in snow.

I thought someone might comment, so took a pic of the sidewall for you non-believers!
I found the same result in snow they drive well , so far they seem like a good RFT tire , I always liked Pirelli , now they are in F1 this year great .
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Obviously, it’s confusing for a company to make two different tires with the same model name. Technically these tires are ”Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season” as opposed to “Pirelli Cinturato P7”. I suspect that if someone unknowingly mixed the two types of P7's on the same vehicle they might have a really evil handling car as a result.
BMW came out with an F650 GS a number of years ago. Single, 650 cc Rotax motor.
Then, a couple of years ago, they came out with a F800 GS with a Rotax 800cc twin. Along with that, was the F650 GS, a Rotax 800cc twin, detuned.
The single is now a G650 GS.

Must not be an issue with manufacturers ...

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0