BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
dirtrider1219
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW E36

Won't Start

Hi guys X3 newb here, this is my second bmw after my e36 which is being converted to a track car.

So the story is I just bought this 2013 X3 28iX. She's had a rough life.The previos owner said it randomly stopped running one day. It's been sitting in his driveway for a few months and during that time I think the drains plugged up because there was a LOT of water on the driver floorboard. Interior is now moldy but that's later on the list. The car will not start and there are no check engine lights and no codes that I was able to see with my basic OBD2 scanner. Just cranks over but won't start.

What's wierd is sometimes on the first crank attempt, I get the slightest sputter in the first second of cranking, then nothing again. I did spray a bunch of carb cleaner in the intake and got it to sputter more, but the next time i tried it wouldn't. Has gas in the tank.

Theories: I've read a little about an ISM (integrated supply module). Or potentially the gas pedal sensor because it got wet? Not sure if the water leaking in could have contributed to the problem, or if that only happened after it sat. If i can confirm it will run on starting fluid I can at least start looking at the fuel system. I did check all fuses in the rear hatch area and none were blown. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Sandy5454
Sandy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30D

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
You need a better code reader. After being wet you could have a large number of different problems. STart by clearing all the drains and get rid of the water as best you can. Maybe put in a dehumidifier for a week or so to start drying it out. Take the carpets out and dry them in the sun? Check if you are getting a spark at the plugs? Check if you are getting fuel to the injectors? Borrow or buy the best code reader you can find. Check the battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I assume you already know the 2013 28i is prone to timing chain guide failure which grenades the engine. So you will want to confirm that is not your issue. A search will reveal more threads on that subject than you will want to read.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
dirtrider1219
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW E36

Haven't been able to check fdirectly for spark yet but tried again with brake cleaner and got it to sputter. It still sputters sometimes on the first start attempt. Pulled apart the ISM to check the fuses, all were good. Going to reinstall with a fully charged battery. Next step is to try to download ISTA+ and see if that can tell me anything. Not good with computers so we'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0