BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
Teton X
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d & 2013 X3 28i

New Vehicle & New warning light

Good Morning,
I am the owner of a new ( to me) 2013 BMW X3 28i with 94,000 miles.
I live in the vicinity of Jackson, Wy and drive Teton pass daily ( 38 mile commute one way). The vehicle is experiencing low pressure warning (red) immediately on decent with the transmission placed in manual mode. Oil amount is correct and the vehicle runs great and pulls up the +10% grade with ease and averages about 27 mpg. The vehicle also just got a once over and oil change & tune up-nothing stood out. There is some minor knocking/rattle noise on start up and appears to come from the front of the engine.
I understand this is a loaded question- we have attempted to repeat the warning light with hard driving on the valley floors without success. It appears the high back pressure of descending in the mid 3's to 5 thousand may be the cause. Would you think this is vacuum related, thin oil or timing/Etc.
Exact scenario: Climbing Teton pass, starting decent, trips the code, stopping and sitting for a moment, restarting the vehicle starts without the code- clearing the code. We can continue without issue?
Any help or direction with this inquiry would be great. I do plan on doing most of the trial and error/repairs myself.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Fodaski55
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Warning light

I would put the transmission in normal mode and see if the condition repeats itself,then get the codes read out .Then you should confirm ,if based on your vin number and original time in service date ,if you are entitled to a timing chain tensioner replacement per the attached settlement.Good luck��*♂️Www.TimingChainModuleSettlement.com or call 866-411-6985
Attached Images

Last edited by Fodaski55; 07-31-2021 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Added information
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Teton X
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d & 2013 X3 28i

THANKS for the info & copy,
My wife was going to do exactly what you suggested on the drive today, and see what happens. I will reach out & see what is available to this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:02 AM   #4
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Oil pumps, tensioners and chains are known trouble spots for this early version of the engine (my x3 has a replacement engine). You definitely want to get this fixed before failure.
Appreciate 0