BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
j.t.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Garage List
E90 for f25?

I'm thinking of swapping my 2011 e90 for a X3 f25 not sure on the exact year. I'm still doing some research on how reliable the car is but I definitely need the space at this point. Just wanted to hear some of your experiences with the X3 and if it's worth the swap. I have a Bmw mechanic that is very affordable and super knowledgeable as well. Any tips would be great!
      07-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Brief background: I drove 5-Series (E39) sedans for 10 years prior to buying a use 2012 X3 about 3 years ago. The X3 certainly does not handle like a sedan, that is to be expected - go drive a couple and see how it feels compared to your smaller 3-Series car. But...they are larger, more space and overall a comfy ride, the higher more "chair-like" seating position for front driver/passenger certainly makes for a more comfy long-distance drive, and ingress/egress is easier than the lower slung sedans.

Reliability is quite good. My car has N52 normally aspirated motor (only avail 2011-2012 model years) and has good power; standard suspension w/regular 'go-flat' tires - 52K miles on the clock at purchase, now after 3 years 96K miles - under my ownership NOTHING has 'broken' on this car. Prior owner had failed real hatch lift mechanism & leaking expansion tank, that's it for stuff than has failed over the car's life - impressive in my book.

Stay away from the 4-banger turbo motors built prior to 2015 - they had timing chain guide failure issues. I'd recommend turbo 6 motor, the 4-bangers do run along nicely but they are not as smooth as the inline 6. If you don't mind buying a car with high(er) miles you might consider 2011-2012 model year w/normally aspirated motor (like my car); but again, you're unlikely to find one with low mileage.

Test drive a couple of cars, that's best way to get a feel for the ride/handling/ etc. If car has runflat tires, expect a less than smooth ride - those RF tires seem to be rather harsh.

Find a car to your liking: get your mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
j.t.
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Brief background: I drove 5-Series (E39) sedans for 10 years prior to buying a use 2012 X3 about 3 years ago. The X3 certainly does not handle like a sedan, that is to be expected - go drive a couple and see how it feels compared to your smaller 3-Series car. But...they are larger, more space and overall a comfy ride, the higher more "chair-like" seating position for front driver/passenger certainly makes for a more comfy long-distance drive, and ingress/egress is easier than the lower slung sedans.

Reliability is quite good. My car has N52 normally aspirated motor (only avail 2011-2012 model years) and has good power; standard suspension w/regular 'go-flat' tires - 52K miles on the clock at purchase, now after 3 years 96K miles - under my ownership NOTHING has 'broken' on this car. Prior owner had failed real hatch lift mechanism & leaking expansion tank, that's it for stuff than has failed over the car's life - impressive in my book.

Stay away from the 4-banger turbo motors built prior to 2015 - they had timing chain guide failure issues. I'd recommend turbo 6 motor, the 4-bangers do run along nicely but they are not as smooth as the inline 6. If you don't mind buying a car with high(er) miles you might consider 2011-2012 model year w/normally aspirated motor (like my car); but again, you're unlikely to find one with low mileage.

Test drive a couple of cars, that's best way to get a feel for the ride/handling/ etc. If car has runflat tires, expect a less than smooth ride - those RF tires seem to be rather harsh.

Good luck/Bill
Thank you!
      07-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Good luck/Bill
It's like we almost had the exact same experience. Except I had come from 2 E46s and an E92 before getting the X3.

I also got the N52 with approximately 52k miles and now I'm at 110k.

Coming from an E92 I can honestly say it was the best decision ever, especially if you need the space. I find it much more comfortable and easier to live with. Plus, ZERO issues other than routine maintenance. Oh wait, that's not true. The heated seat module went out and only the driver's side works. apparently it's about $100 to fix but I've just been too lazy.

You'll love the X3 and if you go for the N52 you should have very few if any issues. There are a few other recent threads on this topic... one guys daughter wanted advice... lots of good into there.
      07-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
It's like we almost had the exact same experience. Except I had come from 2 E46s and an E92 before getting the X3.
...My E39's were all manual tranny cars - I hadn't driven a car w/auto tranny until I got the X3. I thought I'd miss the stick shift, but after 2 weeks in the X3 I fell in love with the 8-Spd ZF automatic, I mean it's impressive in every respect!
Appreciate 1
Asianoak143.00
      07-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #6
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
...My E39's were all manual tranny cars - I hadn't driven a car w/auto tranny until I got the X3. I thought I'd miss the stick shift, but after 2 weeks in the X3 I fell in love with the 8-Spd ZF automatic, I mean it's impressive in every respect!
You should drive one of the DCTs. I traded in my Z4C with the 6 spd manual for an M3 with the M DCT. Thought I'd miss the manual... zero. DCT is SO good
      07-25-2021, 09:02 PM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You should drive one of the DCTs. I traded in my Z4C with the 6 spd manual for an M3 with the M DCT. Thought I'd miss the manual... zero. DCT is SO good
...I was thinking an M4 might be a fun ride
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Asianoak143.00
      07-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #8
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

I have a F25 and a E90. E90 is a garage queen track car build. F25 carries around my 9 month old son. Space is a big tight although I love my F25.
      07-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #9
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

I would also recommend a 6-cyl over a 4-cyl. I drove both and thought the 4-cyl would be enough, but it doesn't run as smooth and feels like its working hard to keep up.
However, its still great to drive, but if I were to do it again, I'd get mopowa.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      07-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
j.t.
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone have or know how reliable the n55 is?
      07-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #11
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t. View Post
I regularly peruse the X3 and the 3-Series F30 forums, most of the issues I see posted regards the N55 engines is related to the turbochargers, charge pipe problems and the like. I can't recall seeing much of any knocks/issues with the basic engine. Typically the inline 6 BMW engines are pretty rock solid - I don't think they have had issues like we've seen on the recent N20 4-bangers with the timing chain guide and oil pump design flaws/failures.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #12
j.t.
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I regularly peruse the X3 and the 3-Series F30 forums, most of the issues I see posted regards the N55 engines is related to the turbochargers, charge pipe problems and the like. I can't recall seeing much of any knocks/issues with the basic engine. Typically the inline 6 BMW engines are pretty rock solid - I don't think they have had issues like we've seen on the recent N20 4-bangers with the timing chain guide and oil pump design flaws/failures.
I wonder what the rough cost to replace the turbos would be. I keep seeing ~$4000, is that normal?
      07-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #13
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder what the rough cost to replace the turbos would be. I keep seeing ~$4000, is that normal?
That seems about right, but I think the turbo completely failing (prematurely) is not a major issue, but the charge pipe cracking, etc. seems the more common issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #14
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Yep, that's normal. Turbos rarely go bad on the N55, but still a possibility on any turbocharged vehicle. The turbocharger itself is an expensive part, and most mechanics aren't willing to install a salvage one due to profitability. N55 is fairly reliable. If reliability is a big priority, I would suggest to look for an X3 with the N52. I had my N55 for a year so far, it's at 60K miles, and I had to replace the valve cover gaskets, High Pressure Fuel Pump...and fluids as maintenance (diff fluids and tranny).

So repair costs this year if I needed a mechanic (using repairpal quotes): $1000+$1400=$2400 repairs, $350+$900=$1250 maintenance Excluding tire replacement cost...and I still have to do rear brakes
I drive 2012 28i (N52 motor) also; rock solid - only one item failed on car under my ownership (3 years/50K miles)....tire pressure sensor; old battery in these go kaput after many years. It is maybe bit more reliable than N55; we have no turbocharger, and it's port injected so no high-pressure (and low) fuel pumps. But finding one with reasonable miles might be tough as these cars are now 9* years old.

Purch my car 3 years ago from original owner, 52K miles on clock. now at 96K Miles. total maint costs under my ownership = $3,900....but that includes $900 for set of tires and $550 to have shop change tranny and transfer case fluids. under original owner two failed items: rear hatch lifting struts and leaking expansion tank.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #15
Rhodes7586
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:
I have 335 with N55(158k), Engine has been awesome. Also have X3 with n55(75k) and it also has been awesome. I've done charge pipes, thermostat and water pumps, radiator on the e90, and i've kept up with all the maintenance. They have been great for me. I had a 13 x1 with the n20 and the timing chain tensioner went and killed the engine with 120k, and I make sure i do oil and normal maintenance before it is due. I am picky with what i buy also. I only buy 1 owner, dealer maintained vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #16
WrEkkED
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28D, X5 35i

The N55 engine is fantastic. I have an F15 X5 from new, only has 59k miles but 0 issues. I drove an X3 M-sport with the N55 before I bought the X5 and it was a really nice combo. I personally needed more space for 2 kids + cottage stuff + tow my boat - which the N55 does amazingly btw. The turbo charge pipe is a relatively common failure point - not as bad as in the E9X. I haven't had to replace mine, but I also don't beat on it at every opportunity. The turbo itself it to be very reliable and should last the life of the vehicle. The switch to electronic wastegate removed a lot of the overboost issues which had reduced the turbo lifespan.

I now just purchased a used F25 X3 28D M-Sport (45k miles) for my daily. The diesel is amazing. I actually passed up a 435i M-sport edition for it (to reduce my chances of getting impounded. Car is FUN!) . In sport it gets up and moves very well - will chirp tires and let the rear a little loose in sport+. I would either go N55 and get the real deal or get the fuel efficient diesel. I test drove a 30i non M-sport before I bought the 28D. I personally would buy a CRV or something else if skipping on M-sport and the 30i wasn't any peppier than the diesel.

I absolutely love my X3. Highly suggest taking some out for test drives to see for yourself. I too came from 20 years of driving sedans and have no regrets.
Appreciate 0