BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

Went from Carly to Bimmerlink/Bimmercode

I like Bimmerlink/Bimmercode much better was a user of Carly app for a few years but its bogged down with random junk. I like the clean straightforward interface of Bimmerlink/Code much better.

Neat function of Bimmerlink is to have a dashboard of values handy while driving, what "gauges" do you guys think is most useful. Air Mass Flow? Fuel Mass Flow, Battery Voltage etc? I'm not sure how many to add that would be most useful
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Oil and coolant water temperature👍
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceric03 View Post
Neat function of Bimmerlink is to have a dashboard of values handy while driving, what "gauges" do you guys think is most useful. Air Mass Flow? Fuel Mass Flow, Battery Voltage etc? I'm not sure how many to add that would be most useful
Personally, I wouldn't use the "gauges" feature while driving unless I was diagnosing a issue. There's enough distractions without looking at sensors on a mobile device or even how useful they would be while the vehicle is running fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Oil and coolant water temperature👍
There's already a oil temp gauge in the instrument cluster, so I don't see why a redundant gauge will be useful
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
There's already a oil temp gauge in the instrument cluster, so I don't see why a redundant gauge will be useful
It's a good check on the dashboard instrument. For instance, my BMW oil temp gauge generally runs several needle widths below the 250 degree mark. Before I got Bimmerlink I estimated that oil temp was running about 235-240 degrees based on indicator position. Actual reported temp through Bimmerlink is 250-258 degrees, but the needle never hits or passes 250. A 15 to 20 degree difference, particularly at those temps, makes me wonder how much margin there is between normal operating temp and overheating. Coolant temps run 215-220. I like the availability of a numerical readout to monitor engine parameters rather than waiting for a sensor to trip when a critical threshold is reached.
      08-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Correct, one does not need to see another readout of Oil Temp. However, there is not a dashboard gauge showing cooling WATER temperature - tho one can monitor that via the OBC's 'hidden menu' which is simple to engage, or via the BimmerCode setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Correct, one does not need to see another readout of Oil Temp. However, there is not a dashboard gauge showing cooling WATER temperature - tho one can monitor that via the OBC's 'hidden menu' which is simple to engage, or via the BimmerCode setup.
Agreed, if one were to monitor any sensors, the coolant is probably one of the more important ones, though the computer is monitoring it and will let you know if it gets too hot. I just can see plugging in a OBD adapter, starting up a phone app and monitoring sensors on a regular basis. Maybe for a long cross country trip on un-congested highways, it would be interesting to see some sensor data and reduce the boredom, but for day to day use, not so much.

Funny thing is, I have a 24 year old Chevy ZR2 pickup that I used to use a PalmPilot PDA with OBD II interface that I could monitor any sensors available in the truck and that was 20 years ago, so real time sensor monitoring on a portable device is nothing new

Last edited by pungo; 09-03-2021 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceric03 View Post
I like Bimmerlink/Bimmercode much better was a user of Carly app for a few years but its bogged down with random junk. I like the clean straightforward interface of Bimmerlink/Code much better.

can bimmer link reset adaptations / reset learning?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
F25_X3 _Tim
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

What's the best addition you've made using Bimmercode? Not used mine for a year so need some inspiration to tinker!
Appreciate 0