BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #23
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^Thanks G M S. Too bad about the DTC lighting up.
Not sure if you had Hakka's or WR's.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=905766&page=3

post 45 by JB 007 reports that the Nokian Hakka R2 RFT tires...get the traction control light to flash by giving a bit of throttle in 6th gear. The issue is not related with lost of traction, but how soft is the thread.

however, JB007's post 46..... Changed my tire pressures, and it made a night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
JimSchush
England
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0 D SE Auto

Which Nokians did you have on the wife's car?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #25
lorien
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40d

Do run-flats require different rims?

My X3 has non-runflats as standard, and I'm thinking of getting the Nokian WR SUV 3 225/60 R17 Run flats as Winter tyres on the basis that it's not the time of year to have to deal with a flat....are there any problems with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_S View Post
Had Nokian's on my wife's X3 (E83) last year, and whilst they where excellent in the actual snow and when the weather was at it's coldest. On damp, milder days 0 to 5 DegC they where aweful with the DTC lighting up all the time.

This year have swapped to Michelin Alpin's and so far the performance has been excellent - and non of the problems experienced with last year Nokians.

Hope this helps
This really interesting. I read that the Alpin's were good for cold non-snow conditions but terrible in the snow. And the Nokians are great in the snow but not so good for cold non-snow conditions. Damn I need to get winter tires and now I'm not sure which. I will be driving ALOT of highway miles and also driving in the high mountains in the west. I'm sure that I'll be driving ALOT on non-snow cold roads and also up the mountains in snow conditions. So what to do here? I was all set to pull the plug on the Nokians but when I read posts like these it makes me wonder. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
^ Cadman50

Nokian post from 1 series: maybe of interest to you.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905766
I just read the whole thread barcelona. Seems the biggest issue is the soft tread making the traction control light blink but people are generally happy with the tires. I ran Dunlop Grandtrek5's on my FX35 before. You expect winter tires to be more soft. My other choice was/is the Michellin Alpin PA2 RF but now wonder about the snow traction. I'm sure these will be more stiff on the dry roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #28
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I just read the whole thread barcelona. Seems the biggest issue is the soft tread making the traction control light blink but people are generally happy with the tires. I ran Dunlop Grandtrek5's on my FX35 before. You expect winter tires to be more soft. My other choice was/is the Michellin Alpin PA2 RF but now wonder about the snow traction. I'm sure these will be more stiff on the dry roads.
I haven't had any traction control issues with my Nokian's, and they are softer Hakkapeliitta R2. Also I haven't had any problems with traction on dry or wet asphalt.

If you can stand a bit softer and vague steering feel on highway and you like to have traction when it is needed (snow and ice), take the Nokians. If you don't mind a bit less traction and stability on bad conditions, take Michelins.

Either one you choose you don't get a bad tyre
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
I haven't had any traction control issues with my Nokian's, and they are softer Hakkapeliitta R2. Also I haven't had any problems with traction on dry or wet asphalt.

If you can stand a bit softer and vague steering feel on highway and you like to have traction when it is needed (snow and ice), take the Nokians. If you don't mind a bit less traction and stability on bad conditions, take Michelins.

Either one you choose you don't get a bad tyre
Thanks Rodion. haha...i want the best of both. When you say "vague steering feel" do you mean that the X3 will tend to wander and not track a straight line? Are you always slightly correcting? The PA2's seem like they have a decent tread pattern also for snow but probably are a little harder rubber which makes them more of the performance snow tire. When i read reviews that say the PA2 is no better than a good AS tire it makes me think hard about getting them.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #30
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Thanks Rodion. haha...i want the best of both. When you say "vague steering feel" do you mean that the X3 will tend to wander and not track a straight line? Are you always slightly correcting? The PA2's seem like they have a decent tread pattern also for snow but probably are a little harder rubber which makes them more of the performance snow tire. When i read reviews that say the PA2 is no better than a good AS tire it makes me think hard about getting them.
With R2's on a highway I have to be more aware compared to summer tyres. It does wander a bit and e.g. you can't feel properly changes in direction because of wind. I might be too hard so say this, as my wife hasn't notice anything like that compared to summer tyres.

I think Nokian WD3s are better on highway, at least they won German auto magazine test for European winter tyres.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...t-4013883.html

In here we call our winter tyres just winter tyres (Nordic winter tyres) and winter tyres for higher speeds we call "European winter tyres".
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With R2's on a highway I have to be more aware compared to summer tyres. It does wander a bit and e.g. you can't feel properly changes in direction because of wind. I might be too hard so say this, as my wife hasn't notice anything like that compared to summer tyres.

I think Nokian WD3s are better on highway, at least they won German auto magazine test for European winter tyres.

In here we call our winter tyres just winter tyres (Nordic winter tyres) and winter tyres for higher speeds we call "European winter tyres".
Don't understand German but the only available winter Nokian tire for me is the R2 (and the WRG2 but i think this is All Season and not in runflat). 245/50-18. I assume it is only a H speed rating. I drive upwards of 80-90mph on the highways so that speed rating is fine. I do like the fact that they are superior snow grip and i don't mind driving in the snow...as a matter of fact I like it because it keeps other people off the roads. Thanks for the info Rodion.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Don't understand German but the only available winter Nokian tire for me is the R2 (and the WRG2 but i think this is All Season and not in runflat). 245/50-18. I assume it is only a H speed rating. I drive upwards of 80-90mph on the highways so that speed rating is fine. I do like the fact that they are superior snow grip and i don't mind driving in the snow...as a matter of fact I like it because it keeps other people off the roads. Thanks for the info Rodion.
WRG2 is available in RFT.
https://www.bmwusfactory.com/bmw_art...manufacturing/

Also R2
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...kkapeliitta+R2
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #33
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:

I just have Nokian WR SUV 3 (255/50x19) mounted on my X5 - live in Switzerland.
So far only driving on dry tarmac and actually performs pretty well, a bit softer than my Conti Run flat summer tires but not worse than other winters I have driven, noise is significant less than the Conti but fuel consumption have gone up with around 5%.
This tire have won the German test as Rodion correctly says.
Here is a link from Nokians own webpage (in english)
http://www.nokiantyres.com/files/nok...english-ce.pdf
http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...er-conditions/

This tire is not a bad choose

JensM

Last edited by JensM; 11-28-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0