BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
iagafoor
IAG
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWX3 2013 Prem Packg AlpWhite

X3-2013 Climatic Control - AUTO settings

When I press AUTO button in the Climatic control, it lids my AC button meaning to believe AIRCONDITION system is ON..I am living in Canada and it is heavy cold here now. Also, I thought keeping AC button ON will activate the Compressor. So, I off it everytime just after pressing my AUTO button. However, I wanted to clarify this from my BMW Advisor during next service visit, and they told ..it is fine to leave the AC button ON in the AUTO mode because it will activate the AC compressor only if necessary depending on the internal teperature settings...Is this true?..anyone can advise/clarify on this...Tks..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Yes. Conventional wisdom is "never touch the snowflake" - in other words, turn it on, leave it on, and let the control system decide if/when to activate the compressor.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Sometimes the AC will come on if in the defrost mode, especially if there is heavy moisture on the inside of the windshield or other windows. I have had to manually set on the AC occasionally if it doesn't start on it's own. That is very common on almost any auto. You need the AC to get rid of the moisture.

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
iagafoor
IAG
Canada
Rep

Gouda, how do we know when the AC comes ON for defrosting purpose? Will there be any different in the engine sound or RPM?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
iagafoor
IAG
Canada
Rep

I do not want to waste my AC system and premium Gas unless absolutely it is needed..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagafoor View Post
I do not want to waste my AC system and premium Gas unless absolutely it is needed..
Do not leave the AC switch on all the time. Leave it off and only turn it on if you have a moisture issue on the inside of the windows. The auto setting goes off if you turn on the defrost. I do not leave the AC on all the time, just turn it on as needed. However it will come on if needed it seems sometimes. For winter that is. On ours the AC is on if the snowflake is lit.

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

It is Climate Control after all.... if you switch off the compressor function you are losing the air dryer conditioner function in colder weather.

Mine is left on all year round. It sorts out humidity, cabin is less susceptible to misting and smells, without touching.

Compressors are much more 'energy' controlled these days, so fuel consumption is minimal in winter time. For me, it is a false economy to switch part of the function off.

It is summer time when you have a heavy fuel demand using Climate Control, that's when you'd benefit by switching it off if you want to save fuel.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It is Climate Control after all.... if you switch off the compressor function you are losing the air dryer conditioner function in colder weather.

Mine is left on all year round. It sorts out humidity, cabin is less susceptible to misting and smells, without touching.

Compressors are much more 'energy' controlled these days, so fuel consumption is minimal in winter time. For me, it is a false economy to switch part of the function off.

It is summer time when you have a heavy fuel demand using Climate Control, that's when you'd benefit by switching it off if you want to save fuel.

HighlandPete

This is exactly my view too!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

It is electrically powered and they're much more energy efficient than in the past. You won't see any RPM load because it is not pump/belt driven. Efficient Dynamics will also control the AC.. ie., ECO mode or ASS

You'll notice this is working because when the temps are mild (10-25C) the car will stay shut off at idle stops far longer than when it is really warm (25+C) and the climate control tries to cool the car quicker.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

If you look at the link below, there is a pulley on the F25's AC compressor, meaning it is not electric. However, I believe it is a variable output compressor meaning that it will not use much energy in the winter.

http://www.autopartsfair.com/bmw-use...ompressor.html
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
It is electrically powered and they're much more energy efficient than in the past. You won't see any RPM load because it is not pump/belt driven. Efficient Dynamics will also control the AC.. ie., ECO mode or ASS

You'll notice this is working because when the temps are mild (10-25C) the car will stay shut off at idle stops far longer than when it is really warm (25+C) and the climate control tries to cool the car quicker.
The climate compressor is not electrically driven. I don't know where you found this bad information. The climate compressor is driven by a belt and has a magnetic clutch just like A/C compressors from the past.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you look at the link below, there is a pulley on the F25's AC compressor, meaning it is not electric. However, I believe it is a variable output compressor meaning that it will not use much energy in the winter.

http://www.autopartsfair.com/bmw-use...ompressor.html
This is correct, the compressor is variable output.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
iagafoor
IAG
Canada
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
This is correct, the compressor is variable output.
Mine is X3 -2013 Model, 2L engine, I remember the AC was ON and working in the idle STOP..How come AC can work with Engine Off if it is not electric driven? Also,in the link, they say AC compressor picture is for illustration purpose only.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:49 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagafoor View Post
Mine is X3 -2013 Model, 2L engine, I remember the AC was ON and working in the idle STOP..How come AC can work with Engine Off if it is not electric driven? Also,in the link, they say AC compressor picture is for illustration purpose only.
Your compressor can't be physically driven unless the engine is running, it is a belt driven compressor on the same serpentine belt as the alternator.

That doesn't mean the A/C is not blowing heat or cold while the engine is off when using ASS. The fans are electric, but when the output demands are not met while engine off, your engine will restart to supply heat/cold.

As said, the compressor is variable output, also has a magnetic clutch, so will not always be compressing at full output. Only what is needed to give the selected climate. At cold temperatures will automatically disengage, without intervention.

That is why it can be left on at all times and will give the best climate on full auto function.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #15
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Think of if this way. When the green LED is lit up on the snowflake, it means the AC compressor is enabled. It never implies that it's actually on. If you're in cold conditions below freezing, the compressor will not come on because it can't do anything at that point unless you are recirculating the air in your cabin. There are other enhancements with the IHKA where it can detect conditions where fogging of the glass is likely and work to dehumidify the air.

The only time I disable it (turn off the snowflake) is when I have the windows down on a warm day. Otherwise, leave it enabled at all times--set it and forget it. It's a very efficient system and only comes on when it's needed. Even my old 2003 325xi handled this perfectly.
      02-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #16
iagafoor
IAG
Canada
Rep

Thank you guys, excellent explaination!, I hope we can conclude this thread saying AUTO will take care of the climatic control in all seasons( winter ,summer..),Just press AUTO button and relax..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Typically, an air conditioning compressor requires approximately one horsepower per ton of cooling. That means, even assuming a very unrealistic 100% efficiency, a electric motor driving a one ton compressor would require about 62 amps at 12 volts. (12 X 62 = 744 Watts). All the references I found over the years indicate automotive air conditioning systems can transfer at least three tons of energy (36,000 BTU) and require about five horsepower. Obviously, with only a twelve volt system, an electric motor would not be at all practical to run an air conditioning compressor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #18
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Unless its a hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #19
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Unless its a hybrid.
Very True. But, our X3s are not hybrids.

A hybrid has available much higher voltages so the maximum current needed to drive large motors is manageable, although the energy needed is the same and it has to come from somewhere.

Additionally, our X3s have an alternator rated at 3980 watts which, at an unrealistic 100% efficiency, is equivalent to 5.3 Hp. So, a real world 5 Hp motor will exceed the maximum capacity of the alternator and quickly drain the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #20
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Low whine when AC on is that normal?

I find that if I press the snowflake off that a low pitch whine goes away. I only hear this at low speed with sound system off. Is this normal to hear my compressor or its belts in action.
I've mentioned this to service advisor and was told normal but I can help but can't help doubt this with such a smooth running power train. So I turn on the radio and try not to think about it.
Any advise?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akview View Post
I find that if I press the snowflake off that a low pitch whine goes away. I only hear this at low speed with sound system off. Is this normal to hear my compressor or its belts in action.
I've mentioned this to service advisor and was told normal but I can help but can't help doubt this with such a smooth running power train. So I turn on the radio and try not to think about it.
Any advise?
I have crappy hearing and dont hear high frequencies well so I do not hear the whine. However, I strongly suspect the whine you hear is nothing more than an electric condensor fan that starts when the compressor is engaged.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #22
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I have crappy hearing and dont hear high frequencies well so I do not hear the whine. However, I strongly suspect the whine you hear is nothing more than an electric condensor fan that starts when the compressor is engaged.
It is a rather low pitch whine and it seems to vary with the RPMs of the engine. I notice this a low speeds only probably because road noise covers at higher speeds.
Also, a year ago service replace a seal in AC which had cause loss of Freon. I questioned then could it have damaged compressor and was told not probable. What might that mean?
Appreciate 0