BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
ahfa1987
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i Carbon Black

M40i's Sport & Sport + Question

Hey there,

I just got a quick question, is it true that the only difference with our car's sport and sport + feature is that sport + have the traction control turned off for dynamic traction control? Or is there actually more to it in terms of sports specs, engine, muffle, suspensions, etc,

Thanks for reading.
'13 Mercedes Benz C-350 Opal Red GONE
'16 BMW x4 M40i Carbon Black W/ Mocha INT Current!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
R11 M
CX502
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Brooklyn/Fjord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfa1987 View Post
Hey there,

I just got a quick question, is it true that the only difference with our car's sport and sport + feature is that sport + have the traction control turned off for dynamic traction control? Or is there actually more to it in terms of sports specs, engine, muffle, suspensions, etc,

Thanks for reading.
Correct. It's the only difference between the two modes.
16 i8 Ionic Silver/Black - Gone
16 M4 Silverstone/Silverstone - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
ahfa1987
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 M
Quote:
Hey there,

Thanks for reading.
Correct. It's the only difference between the two modes.
Thanks man
'13 Mercedes Benz C-350 Opal Red GONE
'16 BMW x4 M40i Carbon Black W/ Mocha INT Current!
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
I have my Sport mode configured to only change Suspension =D with Throttle in Comfort and Sport+ is my Beast Mode!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Hey there,

Thanks for reading.
Remember that there are two ways to get to Sport mode:
1) Move gear shifter to the left.
2) From Comfort mode, press Sport button once.

The difference is that 1) ONLY changes the transmission. Shifting point are at higher RPM.

With 2) you get the higher shifting points PLUS the suspension, throttle response and steering are all changed.

And of course, with Sports+ you are disabling the traction and stability control stuff.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3811.50
      10-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
bmwpc
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Owners Manual?

Before I post something as "fact" or my ""belief" or my "memory" I usually double check or actually read the owners manual. If done one will find one BIG difference in just moving the shift lever versus engaging Sport+ as it relates to "manual" shifting. If you just move the lever to the "Sport" mode, the transmission will still force upshifts and downshifts or prevent over revving on downshifts. It will not hold a gear or allow a downshift outside of maximum revs. However if the Sport+ mode is engaged, no upshifting or downshifting will be done except by you "manually" doing it.

Quote:
Hey there,

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpc View Post
Before I post something as "fact" or my ""belief" or my "memory" I usually double check or actually read the owners manual. If done one will find one BIG difference in just moving the shift lever versus engaging Sport+ as it relates to "manual" shifting. If you just move the lever to the "Sport" mode, the transmission will still force upshifts and downshifts or prevent over revving on downshifts. It will not hold a gear or allow a downshift outside of maximum revs. However if the Sport+ mode is engaged, no upshifting or downshifting will be done except by you "manually" doing it.
Before I post something as "fact" or "belief" or from "memory", I usually check the actual behavior of the car.
The 2017 X4 M40i most certainly will shift automatically in all four modes, incl. Sport+
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Remember that there are two ways to get to Sport mode:
1) Move gear shifter to the left.
2) From Comfort mode, press Sport button once.

The difference is that 1) ONLY changes the transmission. Shifting point are at higher RPM.

With 2) you get the higher shifting points PLUS the suspension, throttle response and steering are all changed.

And of course, with Sports+ you are disabling the traction and stability control stuff.
Moving the shifter to the left is not the same as going into Sport mode.
Try this the next time you can... cruise along at a given speed in comfort (i.e. 60km/h). Then move the shifter to the left. It will likely downshift a gear or two. Then at that same speed with the shifter already moved left, go into sport mode. It will likely shift down again compared to the comfort setting.

My take on this is moving the shifter to the left tells the transmission to get more aggressive than it currently is. Going into sport mode tells the car to stiffen the suspension (if available), make the steering heavier, makes the throttle mapping more aggressive and makes the transmission slightly more aggressive. To get it to the most aggressive setting, you have to do both.

GG
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
DBU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Moving the shifter to the left is not the same as going into Sport mode.
Try this the next time you can... cruise along at a given speed in comfort (i.e. 60km/h). Then move the shifter to the left. It will likely downshift a gear or two. Then at that same speed with the shifter already moved left, go into sport mode. It will likely shift down again compared to the comfort setting.

My take on this is moving the shifter to the left tells the transmission to get more aggressive than it currently is. Going into sport mode tells the car to stiffen the suspension (if available), make the steering heavier, makes the throttle mapping more aggressive and makes the transmission slightly more aggressive. To get it to the most aggressive setting, you have to do both.

GG
Hmm - The above was not my experience, so I did a little road test and for my 2017 X4 M40i, here is the behavior:

Situation 1) Move gear selector to the left and get up to cruising speed. You will notice higher RPM for each gear shift. Once at a steady cruise speed press the button next to the gear selector to enter Sport mode (assuming you already were in Comfort mode). The transmission does NOT downshift (as you claimed above).

Situation 2) Start off in Sport mode and get up to steady cruising speed. Now move gear selector to the left and the transmission DOES downshift.

Conclusion: It is the sequence of events (pressing the sport button and/or moving the transmission selector), that matters with respect to getting the most aggressive shifts out of the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Hmm - The above was not my experience, so I did a little road test and for my 2017 X4 M40i, here is the behavior:

Situation 1) Move gear selector to the left and get up to cruising speed. You will notice higher RPM for each gear shift. Once at a steady cruise speed press the button next to the gear selector to enter Sport mode (assuming you already were in Comfort mode). The transmission does NOT downshift (as you claimed above).
How fast where you cruising when you tried this?
The speed will have an impact on whether or not it downshifts.
If you were cruising at highway speeds with the transmission already in 7th gear, that is the gear it would be while both in sport mode and shifter to the left AND if you are in sport mode only... so moving the shifter would not cause the downshift I was talking about.
At city driving speeds, it should downshift to a even more aggressive gear.

If not, perhaps the transmission logic has changed between 2016 and 2017.

GG
Appreciate 0