BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

My BMW - Tracking Production?

Hey all,

Ordered my X3 last weekend and signed up on MY BMW in order to track my production. How do I navigate around the site to see my car details and all that other good stuff? I Was able to see a tracker but I can't seem to find any of my build details.

Last edited by flash3; 03-30-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Hey all,

Ordered my X3 last weekend and signed up on MY BMW in order to track my production. How do I navigate around the site to see my car details and all that other good stuff? I Was able to see a tracker but I can't seem to find any of my build details.
You have to add your production number to the tracker, then it tracks the vehicle prod status. As well you can setup your sales and service dealership plus other stuff like your personal stuff then once your BMW finance account is opened u can setup that as well inthis website and make monthly payments and stuff like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
You have to add your production number to the tracker, then it tracks the vehicle prod status. As well you can setup your sales and service dealership plus other stuff like your personal stuff then once your BMW finance account is opened u can setup that as well inthis website and make monthly payments and stuff like that.
I was able to see my x3, it's right now "on order" but I am trying to see my configurations to make sure everything I ordered is on there. Where can I get a list of that on this site?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

The website doesn't always have the correct configuration. It's a scary sight to see the configuration and notice items missing. I called the 800# and they said the page isn't always correct but they're sure the car would be. I called my CA and he told me what I ordered is what I'm getting. I was still nervous until the car arrived. I was so nervous I called the 800# several times hoping someone could confirm things. The only confirmation I kept hearing was that the site wasn't always right - some cars even had the incorrect color combinations listed. Bottom Line...You'll need to confirm with your CA everything is correct if the configuration isn't listed correctly. (You'll also stress about it until you actually see the car.)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
I was able to see my x3, it's right now "on order" but I am trying to see my configurations to make sure everything I ordered is on there. Where can I get a list of that on this site?
I don't remember the site showing my configuration when the status was on-order, but later when it moved to next stage like started production, then it showed all the configuration just in the same page below the status. But still I have 4 package and added roof rail. Now it shows the 4 packages correctly but not the roof rails. But when I checked my prod video I can see the roof rail so I am not worried. Point here is if your CA has given you a printed sheet of your order with all options and packages correctly then that's it. Don't u worry abt the site, it's just a guidance not the source of truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I don't know why they put any option details on there at all if they're usually inaccurate. How difficult can it be to get this right? They already have a database with all the order details.

We don't get online tracking at all in the UK but listing inaccurate options against people's orders and then saying don't worry, your car will be OK, doesn't help anyone. Either drop them completely or sort them out BMW!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I feel for you guys in the UK, it must be tough having to wait so long and with no idea if the things you optioned for your car are even right. My main gripe with the whole production tracking process is the discrepancy between delivery times. The whole mysterious allocation system is bad enough but now it's compounded by the fact that even if you car gets produced you have no idea if it'll be delivered in the same week, 2 weeks, or over a month because something was damaged along the way and now they have to order parts from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Think the entire process of buying a new BMW is painful. My car has jumped from being produced week 22, to week 20, to week 18, and it now back to 20-22 again. If it gets beyond 22 I'm dropping out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Wish we had a tracking system, would make life a bit easier on whats ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I feel for you guys in the UK, it must be tough having to wait so long and with no idea if the things you optioned for your car are even right. My main gripe with the whole production tracking process is the discrepancy between delivery times. The whole mysterious allocation system is bad enough but now it's compounded by the fact that even if you car gets produced you have no idea if it'll be delivered in the same week, 2 weeks, or over a month because something was damaged along the way and now they have to order parts from Germany.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
ovrdriv
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i -Space Gray

I think we are all feeling the same way about calling the 800 BMW customer service number and speaking to people that have less information or incomplete information than we do. I have my X3 now, but went throught the same run around as others always told that I should call my CA. I don't get it. What is "customer service" for?
The time line is never really in real time and to my thinking all of these persomal production videos are canned. Other than the color of your X3 and the wheel type it could be any X3. If you have seen many of the videos that have been posted they always have the exaxct some workers on every car, just a different color. They make enough X3's to have a video of every color and wheel.
Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrdriv View Post
and to my thinking all of these persomal production videos are canned. Other than the color of your X3 and the wheel type it could be any X3. If you have seen many of the videos that have been posted they always have the exaxct some workers on every car, just a different color. They make enough X3's to have a video of every color and wheel.
Your thoughts?
90% of the video is exactly the same for everyone but to be fair they do highlight which parts are actually "live". It's not like they're trying to trick you.
You'd never know if these "live" clips were genuine unless you had one where they put on a sunroof/moonroof that you hadn't ordered!

If I was in charge, one thing I would do is make a shared clip for each colour so you don't always see Deep Sea Blue on the shared clips. E.g. at the end on the BMW badge clip. How difficult would that be with so few colours?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

I think we have to give BMW some credit for at least trying to appease the American buyers with the online order status and live video of each US bound X3. Not only are they rolling out an entirely new X3 they are trying their best to keep us informed via new tracking technologies.

I am sure as time goes on they will begin to present more accurate information. We were just happy to see our X3 color be accurate.

Compared to other new cars we have had built BMW is at least trying to provide sufficient details for their US customers.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I don't know why they put any option details on there at all if they're usually inaccurate. How difficult can it be to get this right? They already have a database with all the order details.

We don't get online tracking at all in the UK but listing inaccurate options against people's orders and then saying don't worry, your car will be OK, doesn't help anyone. Either drop them completely or sort them out BMW!
I think all of these problems with inaccurate information is because they do NOT have a single source of data (multiple databases), what dealer and factory sees is more updated than the online and the 800 representative sees. So I am thinking dealer and factory website reads the information from hot database and hence dealers was able to tell exactly what is happening in each step.
Whereas by some kind of a manual process they get the information from dealer:factory database and update the reporting database which 800 and customers see by data entry, hence the reason with all the human errors and the delayed information.

With the latest database systems, they can very well automate this replication of information from primary hot database to reporting database, with what we see it is not looking like automated today. So its something BMW has to think and improve.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
I think we have to give BMW some credit for at least trying to appease the American buyers with the online order status and live video of each US bound X3. Not only are they rolling out an entirely new X3 they are trying their best to keep us informed via new tracking technologies.

I am sure as time goes on they will begin to present more accurate information. We were just happy to see our X3 color be accurate.

Compared to other new cars we have had built BMW is at least trying to provide sufficient details for their US customers.
Agreed, atleast we get to see something than seeing nothing, but with company like BMW, which is technologically advanced than most car companies, it shouldn't take much time to fix the issues that we see today, all they need to do is to avoid any manual data entry process that they are following today and automate it, they need some good IT guys to take care of the data management systems and websites.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
90% of the video is exactly the same for everyone but to be fair they do highlight which parts are actually "live". It's not like they're trying to trick you.
You'd never know if these "live" clips were genuine unless you had one where they put on a sunroof/moonroof that you hadn't ordered!

If I was in charge, one thing I would do is make a shared clip for each colour so you don't always see Deep Sea Blue on the shared clips. E.g. at the end on the BMW badge clip. How difficult would that be with so few colours?
In my opinion, that should not be much difficult, they should do one video for each color and then add 7 live pieces that they do today to these base videos and publish to the customer. I think whomever is in-charge of the BMW data management systems is not a tech savvy person. If BMW is seeing this, they should first find some good IT engineers to take care of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

The order tracking system on BMWUSA.com isn't exactly new. It's been there for years. And it's always been an inaccurate pain in the ass. They should either find a way to keep their db up to date or can the whole thing.

Maybe if our CAs weren't so woefully incompetent we wouldn't feel the need for constant reassurance from the website.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
The order tracking system on BMWUSA.com isn't exactly new. It's been there for years. And it's always been an inaccurate pain in the ass. They should either find a way to keep their db up to date or can the whole thing.

Maybe if our CAs weren't so woefully incompetent we wouldn't feel the need for constant reassurance from the website.
+1 all points

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Don't want to create a new thread but is step number 4 "at preparation center" meaning the car is close by? Some other threads mention that there are two prep centers, one stop at the center in SC and another in CA for west coasters. If the car's still in SC it kind of defeats the purpose of step 3 "en route."

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
Beesting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

My X3 showed all wrong information until about a week before it entered Production. Now, everything looks just as I ordered it - except I don't see the right trim (I chose Wave). I saw it in the Salesman's computer after he entered it, so I'm not worried.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Don't want to create a new thread but is step number 4 "at preparation center" meaning the car is close by? Some other threads mention that there are two prep centers, one stop at the center in SC and another in CA for west coasters. If the car's still in SC it kind of defeats the purpose of step 3 "en route."

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Mine got to Portland the same day it was scheduled to arrive at the prep center. Better clean your garage!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
Mine got to Portland the same day it was scheduled to arrive at the prep center. Better clean your garage!
Mine shows at prep center status since 3/25 and I am in MN, so not sure how these things work really. My CA told me, it will be coming to him by 4/5.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #22
charlie k
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 X35i

where do i find the link for tracking my X3 order ? placed order 3/112011 X35i i have order number that is all.i have account at BMWUSA but nowhere is their a place to put my production # HELP!!!

Last edited by charlie k; 04-02-2011 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: add on info
Appreciate 0