BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Palpak
Canada
Rep
Drives: WX53 - X3 xDrive28i

My Info and Google Map in Canada

Has anyone in Canada used google map and sent the address to their X3?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

How do you send to your X3, our is it sent to your X3 via your cell phone?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

There's a video on the website showing very detailed steps. Here's an FAQ:

How can I send business listings or street addresses to my BMW?

Just visit maps.google.com and search for any business or street address. When it appears, click "Send", choose "Car" and select "BMW", then type in your e-mail address on file with BMW Assist as the account name, a personal note if desired, maybe a phone number, and hit "Send".
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Ok, so I am guessing that when I activate my BMW Assist option that I will give them my email address to enable this feature. Do I need my cell phone bluetooth enabled for this feature to work, or is the message received via satellite?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Palpak
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelFan View Post
There's a video on the website showing very detailed steps. Here's an FAQ:

How can I send business listings or street addresses to my BMW?

Just visit maps.google.com and search for any business or street address. When it appears, click "Send", choose "Car" and select "BMW", then type in your e-mail address on file with BMW Assist as the account name, a personal note if desired, maybe a phone number, and hit "Send".
I've seen the video, but curious if it will actually work in Canada.... I just got the call from my dealer today that my X3 will be ready for pick on Thursday so I'm really looking forward to try the nav and mobile office.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Handled via satellite. Yes, they'll ask you for an email address. Here's what the SOS button gets you for the first 4 years (paid by BMW): Automatic Collision Notification (the system calls you to see how you are and will take appropriate action - especially if you don't answer); ANY type of Emergency Request; Enhanced Roadside Assistance (Flat tire, run out of gas, etc); MyInfo (email stuff); Stolen Vehicle Recovery (enough said); Door Unlock (enough said) - Obviously the last two require calling the 800#

The Optional ($199 per year) Convenience Plan: Directions, Traffic, Weather, Concierge Services; BMW Search (Google directly on your system); Critical Calling (4 phone calls in case your cell phone isn't available)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Palpak,

When you finalize your paperwork upon pick-up this week, your dealer should be asking you for an email contact, among other things, or perhaps you've already done this; this email contact will be the email you'll use when you want to send a google map to your BMW.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is (if you own 2 BMW's like me), is how to send a google map to only 1 of the cars. I sent one the other day to my Z, but the next day, drove my X3 and the map directions were in that car as well.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Palpak,

When you finalize your paperwork upon pick-up this week, your dealer should be asking you for an email contact, among other things, or perhaps you've already done this; this email contact will be the email you'll use when you want to send a google map to your BMW.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is (if you own 2 BMW's like me), is how to send a google map to only 1 of the cars. I sent one the other day to my Z, but the next day, drove my X3 and the map directions were in that car as well.

Dave
May not be the same in Canada but in the UK I think you can just register again using a different username. The registration is linked to a VIN which will obviously be unique.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Palpak
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Palpak,

Dave
Hi Dave,

I picked up my X3 last week. The delivery assistant told me that I should get an e-mail within 48 hours and I should be able to activate the connected drive via the "SOS". It's been a week and a couple of follow-ups with the dealer and I still don't have access.....

How did you get your access?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
May not be the same in Canada but in the UK I think you can just register again using a different username. The registration is linked to a VIN which will obviously be unique.
You are correct. We had to use unique email addresses for each BMW. The system works pretty well and for most times we have sent emails, you can copy them right to your address book.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Works for me no problem. I gave my address to my CA and he entered it into the system from his computer. It worked immediately.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
Palpak
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
Works for me no problem. I gave my address to my CA and he entered it into the system from his computer. It worked immediately.
Thanks. I'll follow up with the dealer again....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Hey Palpak,

Yes, contact either the dealer again or use the SOS button (probably faster than contacting the dealer actually!). Just tell them your email address doesn't seem to have been processed yet & you can't use the google map feature. I'm certain they'll be able to address in short order.

Sfax, thanks. I actually hadn't considered setting up a 2nd email account for the other car. Thanks! Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Palpak
Canada
Rep

Thank you guys...
Appreciate 0