BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M Sport

Coolant lost

I'm experiencing coolant lost issue, car has been to the dealership several time for this issue, they have replaced the coolant reservoir, did a pressure test and claimed everything is fixed. Yet i still get low coolant message, even after topping off the coolant. The coolant is going somewhere!? Has anyone dealt with this issue and have a possible solution from past they can share with me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Not enough details. You say you get the message after topping off, but you don't say how soon after. And you need to give some idea how much you are losing and at what rate. If you top off the reservoir, does the message come back on in an hour, a day, a week? When it comes on, how low is it - or how much do you need to add?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Not enough details. You say you get the message after topping off, but you don't say how soon after. And you need to give some idea how much you are losing and at what rate. If you top off the reservoir, does the light some back on in an hour, a day, a week? When it comes on, how low is it - or how much do you need to add?
I'm losing around a cup every week or so, enough to trigger the low coolant light.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:33 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

If it's 100% certain that the fluid is NOT leaking externally, then about the only other place it can go is into the engine/combustion chambers - i.e. head gasket breach/leak.

If that were the case you'd likely notice some white smoke (steam) exiting the exhaust pipe at times.

Checking for a head gasket leak is quite simple and quickly done - you might discuss that idea with the Dealer.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
If it's 100% certain that the fluid is NOT leaking externally, then about the only other place it can go is into the engine/combustion chambers - i.e. head gasket breach/leak.

If that were the case you'd likely notice some white smoke (steam) exiting the exhaust pipe at times.

Checking for a head gasket leak is quite simple and quickly done - you might discuss that idea with the Dealer.

Good luck/Bill
the plugs we're change recently and they did not find any coolant residue and i'm not blowing any white smoke out of the pipe
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

….maybe expansion tank #2 is leaking, it is possible.

Have them put the leak tester on the cooling system overnight and see if there is any pressure loss the next day.

If Pressure declines but no fluid visible, pull the plugs and re-inspect.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 04:51 PM   #7
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
….maybe expansion tank #2 is leaking, it is possible.

Have them put the leak tester on the cooling system overnight and see if there is any pressure loss the next day.

If Pressure declines but no fluid visible, pull the plugs and re-inspect.

I have a pending appointment with the dealer and have requested a full to overnight pressure test to be performed. I was told it could be a failing water pump or a radiator leak. all other pressure test in the past was short 30mis or less, therefore not catching if the pressure is a super slow leak
Appreciate 1
Wgosma799.50
      01-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoy View Post
I have a pending appointment with the dealer and have requested a full to overnight pressure test to be performed. I was told it could be a failing water pump or a radiator leak. all other pressure test in the past was short 30mis or less, therefore not catching if the pressure is a super slow leak
It may only leak when parts get hot from driving and change shape Good luck with the overnight test...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:56 PM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
It may only leak when parts get hot from driving and change shape Good luck with the overnight test...
The shop should fire up the motor and let the car idle for a few hours and periodically observe for coolant leakage before letting it cool and sit pressurized overnight-

a shop did this with one of my E39's long ago, they were searching for head gasket issue as car was periodically but inconsistently overheating….ended up the expansion tank had internal crack- they were at wits end on the car and asked me if they could cut the tank apart after they replaced it which solved overheat issue.
Sure enough, internal crack disrupted coolant flow.

Last edited by Wgosma; 01-24-2022 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #10
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The shop should fire up the motor and let the car idle for a few hours and periodically observe for coolant leakage before letting it cool and sit pressurized overnight-

a shop did this with one of my E39's long ago, they were searching for head gasket issue as car was periodically but inconsistently overheating….ended up the expansion tank had internal crack- they were at wits end on the car and asked me if they could cut the tank apart after they replaced it which solved overheat issue.
Sure enough, internal crack disrupted coolant flow.
thanks, the coolant expansion tank has been replaced twice already
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #11
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Just trying to confirm your not overfilling coolant, when you mean you top off the coolant, you don't mean you fill the reservoir to the top right? You only fill it to the "Full" mark which is roughly half way.

I know you mentioned you lose enough coolant to get the sensor to throw a message on the dash.

Maybe also the sensor is leaking? If I remember correctly, I had a leak there and it was not obvious at first because the sensor under the reservoir is blue and our coolant is blue. It wasn't until I noticed the dry coolant marks that I realized the sensor oring went bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:53 AM   #12
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
Just trying to confirm your not overfilling coolant, when you mean you top off the coolant, you don't mean you fill the reservoir to the top right? You only fill it to the "Full" mark which is roughly half way.

I know you mentioned you lose enough coolant to get the sensor to throw a message on the dash.

Maybe also the sensor is leaking? If I remember correctly, I had a leak there and it was not obvious at first because the sensor under the reservoir is blue and our coolant is blue. It wasn't until I noticed the dry coolant marks that I realized the sensor oring went bad.

From OP: thanks, the coolant expansion tank has been replaced twice already
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #13
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post

to the full mark in the reservoir, I'm suspecting the radiator or water pump might have a small leak
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #14
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Have we ruled out the oil filter coolant/oil heat exchanger? This seems to be a common failure item on other German cars I've had over the years (including VW, MB).
      02-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #15
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

OP

did you ever figure out the cause of your coolant loss?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #16
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
OP

did you ever figure out the cause of your coolant loss?
The BMW tech found combustion fumes in the expansion tank, oil filter cap had water and metal debris. used block tester and found hydro carbons in coolant. Long story short. Dealership has ordered a new factory refurbished engine coming out of Germany and will pick up the tab for a complete engine swap. Engine alone is over $16K. Final results, most likely a cracked block or cylinder head. Reason the dealership is pick up the tab, is I had just bought the preowned car a couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #17
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

Quote:
The BMW tech found combustion fumes in the expansion tank, oil filter cap had water and metal debris. used block tester and found hydro carbons in coolant. Long story short. Dealership has ordered a new factory refurbished engine coming out of Germany and will pick up the tab for a complete engine swap. Engine alone is over $16K. Final results, most likely a cracked block or cylinder head. Reason the dealership is pick up the tab, is I had just bought the preowned car a couple of weeks ago.
Ooooph
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #18
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OP: was your cars engine ever overheated? How many miles on the clock?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #19
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I am the 2nd owner of this car, it has 52K on the engine. The car was bought and exclusively service by the dealership. I have all the service records and the car never came in for any overheating issues only coolant low warning light on numerous times, which resulted in 2 reservoir tanks replaced. The original owner was an elder man and he had purchased a very expensive extended BMW warranty. So the car was covered well beyond the 4/50K manufacture warranty. The reason I know this is because I'm also an employee of this BMW dealership as well and have access to all service done on this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #20
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am the 2nd owner of this car, it has 52K on the engine. The car was bought and exclusively service by the dealership. I have all the service records and the car never came in for any overheating issues only coolant low warning light on numerous times, which resulted in 2 reservoir tanks replaced. The original owner was an elder man and he had purchased a very expensive extended BMW warranty. So the car was covered well beyond the 4/50K manufacture warranty. The reason I know this is because I'm also an employee of this BMW dealership as well and have access to all service done on this car.
Interesting, rather unusual failure in your case. Nice it's a warranty repair!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #21
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, rather unusual failure in your case. Nice it's a warranty repair!
Yeah, I would have rather have the original engine and really don't like the idea of the car being torn apart, even as its done at the dealership. So the up side is, since the engine is pulled out I will swap out the stock turbo for a stage 1 turbo upgrade, bootmod3 stage 1, will pass on aftermarket down pipes as I don't want to deal with check lights in the future. I'm looking for a little more performance and not looking to go crazy as reliability and longevity is real important to me.

Anyone have any inputs to UROtuning.com : Pure Turbos PURE Stage 1 Turbo | BMW N55
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 12:34 PM   #22
Stoy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Coolant lost progress

Engine swap almost complete
Attached Images

Appreciate 3