BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
ozbaba1
Rep
Drives: X3 2015 2.8i

Headlight upgrades?

So I am now an owner of a F25 (2015) 2.8i.

After my old E53 4.4 (waiting to be repaired) I have too many things I am happy with and some minor things that I am not..

1. Halogen headlights (compared to my E53 xenons)
2. Hifi Sound (compared to my E53 DSP)

I can live with the sound for a while but the headlights definitely need an upgrade. I have seen some people switching to OSRAM Night Breaker H7s and some switching to VLED Micro Evolutions.

Recommendations and opinions please?

Cheers,

Ozzie
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #2
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

It's a lot more work than plug n play, unfortunately. I'm sure it's been done someplace before but it's going to be $$$ and a lot of work. So much it may be cheaper to sell and buy one with a lighting package. (I had a headlight damaged then replaced, it was $700 for used and $1100 for a new one- I have old pre-lci xenon)
The biggest problem will be power. If I am not mistaken they have different wiring and power supply. So wiring to the FRM would have to be modified.
If you got them powered properly and communicating with the car then you would need to VO code the respective lighting package on every model that deals with the lights (FRM, ICM, maybe KOMBI)

I would start with checking out newtis.info and comparing the wiring diagram for halogen and Xenon or LED.

Good luck! It's unfortunate people skip out on these packages to save $900 when in my opinion should be standard safety equipment.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
ozbaba1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayzac View Post
Good luck! It's unfortunate people skip out on these packages to save $900 when in my opinion should be standard safety equipment.
Thank you for your quick response. I agree with you on skipping part. I bought the car used (Melbourne Red, M Sport package) so I did not have a chance to order it with the upgrade. My opinion also is for such a nice car halogen should not even be an option.

The upgrade options (Osram and VLed) I mentioned are supposed to be both plug and play. Basically just bulb changes and that's what I am hoping to do..

Cheers,

Ozzie
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Welcome to the forum...

Since drop in LEDs are illegal and blind other drivers with excessive glare, I'd recommend upgrading the existing bulbs with better ones, but don't expect a dramatic improvement. Those Halogens headlights just suck, I stayed clear of anything without Bi_Xenon when I was looking since much of my driving is on pitch black country roads.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/03...ermarket-leds/
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #5
ozbaba1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Welcome to the forum...

Since drop in LEDs are illegal and blind other drivers with excessive glare, I'd recommend upgrading the existing bulbs with better ones, but don't expect a dramatic improvement. Those Halogens headlights just suck, I stayed clear of anything without Bi_Xenon when I was looking since much of my driving is on pitch black country roads.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/03...ermarket-leds/
Thank you for the warning about the LEDs. I hate it every time someone blinds me with obviously 'upgraded' lights but I was not aware of what they were exactly. I think I will try the Osram bulbs..

We were given the F25 X3 option when were looking at E83s and we took it after a quick research. It had everything we wanted (I was not so sure about N20 engine but I like it more and more everyday I drive it). Honestly I never thought it would come with halogens. I also did not like the red rear indicator lights (I prefer orange) but apparently that is only a choice in Europe (and a replacement is around $600).

Cheers,

Ozzie
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbaba1 View Post
Thank you for the warning about the LEDs. I hate it every time someone blinds me with obviously 'upgraded' lights but I was not aware of what they were exactly. I think I will try the Osram bulbs..
Yeah, I despise people driving around blinding people with LEDs in reflector housings. The output may be intense, but the beam pattern is terrible with usually less usable light on the road than a stock Halogen bulb.

These will be the brightest bulbs for your headlight, get (4) and a spare or so. Look for "H7 Ultra High Output Vosla" 2100 lumens vs 1350 for stock.
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/.../products.html
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:09 PM   #7
kylix
Rep
Drives: X3

I also have 2013 f25 28i without xenon. I’ve been researching to upgrade but looks like it can’t be done easily. I’ll just have to deal with halogen bulbs…
Appreciate 0