BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
First service.. done.. and a bit of a rant.

Had the first service today, the faults report on going in where.. and results

1. Front windows anti trap alert and speed too slow
Part of service notice, replaced parts. Now winds up and down much quicker
2. Clunking from steering and suspension
Nothing found
3. Rustling noise coming from lower windscreen
Removed inventive foaming padding I added, and corrected (Not opened it to look, but its gone)
4. Drive Train Failures
Only fault found was a roll forward alert. Fob off to me, this happened several times and locked the car down.
5. ABS Failure Warning light (went away after restart)
No fault found, suggested it was low battery (!?)
6. Tyre Monitor Failure Warning light (went away after restart)
Same as 5
7. SatNav Update
Total fucking rip off, really annoyed £250
8. First Service
Service Inclusive plus, no charges.
9. Requested Software updates
Refused.

I was told there was a slight wheel wobble and that the wheels should be balanced, when I asked how much they would charge, it was going to be 10+VAT per wheel.. told them if they would do it for 20 then go ahead otherwise dont bother. They declined.

Car feels very smooth, and the steering actually feels different, not heard any rattles yet, but only drove it home.

Really annoyed that they wanted to charge so much for the wheels, especially when it was being coded so I was being charged for the time anyway. I will go back to the place who fitted the tyres as im sure they will do it for free.

Also find it ridiculous that they will only do software updates if there is a fault.

As for the cost of the maps.. I was quoted 175 but it ended up 250.. that would have bought me 2.5 TomTom units.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Well, thats the reason I didn't even consider the nav when I ordered. My nexus 4 fits perfectly standing up in one of the cup holder, and is always up to date. Oh I can also plan my journey outside of the car.

A brand new nexus 4 is cheaper than your map update ;-)
      04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I also find putting iphone5 in the cup holder for navigation to be very convenient. most of the time I just listen to google map's voice direction via car audio. sometimes I will look down on phone to get an estimate on how long the current route would be.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

As much as I agree that the Pro Nav is a not worth the money I must say (from experience) that an X3 without it is a hard car to sell on.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
swamp
Rep
Drives: X3 30d

£250 for a sat nav update!!!

It should be free for life, and it should perform the update itself.

Sooner or later you'll see very cheap media/sat nav units on budget car brands that will be better than BMW's Pro Nav.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
£250 for a sat nav update!!!

It should be free for life, and it should perform the update itself.

Sooner or later you'll see very cheap media/sat nav units on budget car brands that will be better than BMW's Pro Nav.
It's already the case, Renault for example ships with a TomTom built in. Having car manufacturers trying to duplicate tech that is already hard to make for tech companies (look at apple map fiasco) is ridiculous really.
      04-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
As much as I agree that the Pro Nav is a not worth the money I must say (from experience) that an X3 without it is a hard car to sell on.
How many X3 have you sold with and without Nav to gauge this on?

Yes there may be a price differential on resale (to reflect initial value and depreciation) but as already stated they are many cheaper (and better) options around and if it is going to cost £250 just to update many will be pleased not to have it.

I use a samsung note with 5" screen - works amazingly well, is always up to date and fits on a phone mouth on the dash easily.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3

Last edited by plymjack; 04-20-2013 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: added last sentence
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Really not happy today.. so much for the recall on the window issue.. wound down the drivers door window and it made a horrible grinding noise and then the glass dropped into the door.. of course service department closed..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post

Yes there may be a price differential on resale (to reflect initial value and depreciation) but as already stated they are many cheaper (and better) options around and if it is going to cost £250 just to update many will be pleased not to have it.

I use a samsung note with 5" screen - works amazingly well, is always up to date and fits on a phone mouth on the dash easily.
It's just an urban legend which includes needing the car to be silver with a black interior. Don't believe it.
      04-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post

Every person except 1 asked if the car had sat nav, none of those people came to see the car when I told them it didn't. The person that didn't ask eventually bought it but as more X3's come on the market the more choice there is and the harder it becomes to sell a car without it.

If you're planning to hold on to the car for a while it may not be such an issue but my personal experience was that it was hard to sell my car and it was priced competitively.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
swamp
Rep
Drives: X3 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Every person except 1 asked if the car had sat nav, none of those people came to see the car when I told them it didn't. The person that didn't ask eventually bought it but as more X3's come on the market the more choice there is and the harder it becomes to sell a car without it.

If you're planning to hold on to the car for a while it may not be such an issue but my personal experience was that it was hard to sell my car and it was priced competitively.
I thought the general opinion was that sat nav adds value and makes (high-end) cars easier to sell, but after 3 or 5 years it becomes irrelevant as even the best units will be massively out-dated by then.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Really not happy today.. so much for the recall on the window issue.. wound down the drivers door window and it made a horrible grinding noise and then the glass dropped into the door.. of course service department closed..
Now THAT really suck. I can imagine the scene at the dealer if that happened to me..
      04-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
The receptionist got the message..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
I thought the general opinion was that sat nav adds value and makes (high-end) cars easier to sell, but after 3 or 5 years it becomes irrelevant as even the best units will be massively out-dated by then.
I would agree with that, and anyone selling a high end car privately when its less than 3 years old is going to have to take a massive hit anyway with or without NAV.

Planning to keep ours for at least 4 years so the lack of OEM Nav won't be an issue.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
It's just an urban legend which includes needing the car to be silver with a black interior. Don't believe it.
Silver cars are old hat now
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

didn't realise the x3 was considered high end? i didn't spec nav on mine as it is a ridiculous amount of money for what can be performed by a £200 tom tom.
      04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I sent an email to BMW today asking them to justify how on earth it can remotely cost £250 to update a map.. especially when it used to be the DVD update it was 'only' £150

Seems now they sell service inclusive they need to find another way to rape you
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK
I sent an email to BMW today asking them to justify how on earth it can remotely cost 250 to update a map.. especially when it used to be the DVD update it was 'only' 150

Seems now they sell service inclusive they need to find another way to rape you
Lo, that is BS from the dealer, there is a free 2013 Nav update for x3s with older maps,
There is a TSB somewhere, print it out and show it to the dealer
      04-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Matt, re. Software update they are reluctant to do it as it takes 4 hours or so and effectively reinstalls the OS. However, if you say you have a fault they may agree to do it. I managed to get mine upgraded and justified it with the nav arrow bug and the iDrive playing album songs in the wrong order. Not sure if it was only that or also the reminder of a foul up they made when arranging finance

Re. balance, that seems excessive as I bought my own tyres from blackcircles and BMW charged £60 to fit and balance (and dispose old tyres)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Never heard of free maps in the UK.. NA maybe.. if you have the article or note that applies globally, great ill wave it at them and see if it does anything, but unlikely.. BMW called back and just said Navteq charge them and therefore they pass that on to customers... end.

Car went back in Monday due to the window falling out, had a call back Monday night saying it wasn't fixed and they needed to see the car again.. agreed they could keep the car, balance the wheels for free, replace the wipers and return it to me yesterday.

Car is back, window working and wheels balanced.

Small as it may sound, this experience and the feedback from BMW has left a really bad taste in my mouth about BMW. Been buying their cars for over 20 years, and right now I really don't want anything to do with them. They have zero customer loyalty.

It used to be when I got cars from them you would get taken care of, flowers and champagne when you get the car, invitations to driving events and track days.. but now, they just want to shift cars and they don't appear to give a shit about customer care.

Kia.. some of their cars look good, but they treat their customers really well. Even Jaguar.. BMW have got too corporate and greedy.

As much as I do like their vehicles since I am no longer in the market for buying M cars as I have been previously, I am more than happy to consider Audi or Merc or another brand now.

Quite like the look of the SQ5..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Matt, re. Software update they are reluctant to do it as it takes 4 hours or so and effectively reinstalls the OS. However, if you say you have a fault they may agree to do it. I managed to get mine upgraded and justified it with the nav arrow bug and the iDrive playing album songs in the wrong order. Not sure if it was only that or also the reminder of a foul up they made when arranging finance

Re. balance, that seems excessive as I bought my own tyres from blackcircles and BMW charged £60 to fit and balance (and dispose old tyres)
Hey sFax.. when I booked it in I tried to convince them it needed a software update, the service guy thought with the faults I had given there was a good chance, but then to be told there are no faults in the memory that I listed and nothing was done..

I dont care how long it takes, its their fault for designing it that way.. they had the car for 2 days as it was.

What is the point of the car not recording the faults that you get displayed?

Oh and i have say..

I REALLY FECKING HATE RUN FLATS
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owner...ryId=2369.html