BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
IPOD/IPHONE Connectivity

Which cables are you guys using to interface with the car?

1. The black "Y" cable (with Sterero mini jack/USB to IPHONE/IPOD connector)

or

2. Standard white Apple/Iphone cable

I should specify all cars I am referencing have BMW Apps 6NR Combox functionality.

In my MINI (with connect/apps) I utilize the supplied black "Y" cable and the plugin interface works perfect enabling me to view video playback while park with the apple ipod style menu being functional -

In the F25 and my 2012 E92 both with 6NR apps combox functionality as well using a "Y" cable does not give me full functionality as with my MINI, but I do get album art albeit with out the thumbnail album list I can access in the MINI. I have tried both the apple cable and the "Y" cable in the F25 and my E92 and I am still not able to get the "plugin" interface to work as it does in the MINI My former F12 - same issue. What the hell is MINI doing that BMW isn't?

SA doesnt have an answer and the techs are still out to lunch on this. My Blackberry 9900 interfaces without any issues across the board.

Any clues to this
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)

Last edited by car_fan; 08-09-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
My previous post may come off as confusing. To surmise:

Plugin functionality in my MINI is accessible via "Y" cable only. Apple IPOD/IPHONE connect cable does not enable plugin

Plugin functionality in my F25 and E92 not available with "Y" cable or Apple IPOD/IPHONE connector. Although album art is displayed via the Apple cable - along with standard MP3 device menu functionality.

I am using a 4th Generation Itouch with the current version of BMW Apps and MINI Apps loaded on the device.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
knp100
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 35d

Not 100%, but I understood to get plugin (and video playback) functionality you needed to use (the more expensive) cradle.

Interesting that in the mini this additional hardware is not needed....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

As I understand it, you don't need to use a cradle for the iPhone plug-in. You need a media cradle rather than a standard cradle if you want to use the plug-in functionality in a cradle but you can get the full functionality using the standard white iPhone USB. You definitely don't need to use a Y cable if you have 6NR, 6NF and a combox. Perhaps someone with 6NR can confirm that they get full plug-in functionality (i.e. iTunes interface in iDrive) through their white USB cable - I think I have read that you can on this forum. All of this is talking about iPhones though. Not sure on iPod Touch but if it works on your Mini, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

My setup is non-standard as I have 6NR without 6NF but I get full plug-in functionality and iPhone video through USB, not the cradle.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

I was reading around, I have 6NF and not 6NR and can't read videos from the iPhone through neither the cable, nor the cradle (but I don't have the media one).

It seems that it depends on how the USB interface is cabled. I know that some guys who code BMW here have found the reason why. The USB plug in the car has the capacity to drive video to the Combox, but is not internally cabled to do so. So these guys cable it correctly and make the cradle redundant, if not useless...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

The Apple cable works for everything except video. For that you need the cradle. I think there is a media cradle and an apps cradle. You want the apps cradle as it should support everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator69 View Post
I was reading around, I have 6NF and not 6NR and can't read videos from the iPhone through neither the cable, nor the cradle (but I don't have the media one).

It seems that it depends on how the USB interface is cabled. I know that some guys who code BMW here have found the reason why. The USB plug in the car has the capacity to drive video to the Combox, but is not internally cabled to do so. So these guys cable it correctly and make the cradle redundant, if not useless...
You won't get video without 6NR because your USB will be plugged into the wrong port on your combox (there is a different port to carry a video signal) and the iDrive will have the functionality disabled in any case unless you code the car. There also needs to extra wiring to carry the video signal from the armrest to the CIC as you've mentioned.

The much maligned cradle does have its merits:

1. Frees up the USB to be used for other devices like USB drives for music and charging
2. Boosts * iPhone signal through the shark fin
3. Much tidier than having a cradle flapping around and potentially getting damaged by closing the armrest on it
4. Secure place for the phone: doesn't slide around

* difficult to prove but some people notice an improvement in poor signal areas

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

The much maligned cradle does have its merits:

1. Frees up the USB to be used for other devices like USB drives for music and charging
2. Boosts * iPhone signal through the shark fin
3. Much tidier than having a cradle flapping around and potentially getting damaged by closing the armrest on it
4. Secure place for the phone: doesn't slide around

* difficult to prove but some people notice an improvement in poor signal areas
1) Ok
2) True, I didn't believe it and got explained why. The iPhone doesn't have any antenna pin, the system brings in the signal with a small antenna in the same cradle. So it's like having a local antenna booster in the armrest.
3) I don't fully agree, the cradle takes a lot of space in the armrest that I would have kept.
4) Ok, but there are many others!

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator69 View Post
1) Ok
2) True, I didn't believe it and got explained why. The iPhone doesn't have any antenna pin, the system brings in the signal with a small antenna in the same cradle. So it's like having a local antenna booster in the armrest.
3) I don't fully agree, the cradle takes a lot of space in the armrest that I would have kept.
4) Ok, but there are many others!

3) => I agree, tidier but much, much less space. Cradle is stupidly big really. They could make a much more compact design given the average size of a smart phone

I was concentrating on merits but there are a few downsides. Another one if that the phone gets hot in the cradle. I think this is exacerbated with the media cradle and they released an updated cradle with a fan to combat the problem.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knp100 View Post
Not 100%, but I understood to get plugin (and video playback) functionality you needed to use (the more expensive) cradle.

Interesting that in the mini this additional hardware is not needed....
That's what I'm saying "Y"-cable only - connects and enables full media functionality
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
As I understand it, you don't need to use a cradle for the iPhone plug-in. You need a media cradle rather than a standard cradle if you want to use the plug-in functionality in a cradle but you can get the full functionality using the standard white iPhone USB. You definitely don't need to use a Y cable if you have 6NR, 6NF and a combox. Perhaps someone with 6NR can confirm that they get full plug-in functionality (i.e. iTunes interface in iDrive) through their white USB cable - I think I have read that you can on this forum. All of this is talking about iPhones though. Not sure on iPod Touch but if it works on your Mini, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

My setup is non-standard as I have 6NR without 6NF but I get full plug-in functionality and iPhone video through USB, not the cradle.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing with the white USB cable, however to no avail, and I have tried it on 3 different cars with 6NR/Apps/Combox. If I wasn't aware of the addtional functionality, I likely woudn't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Many thanks to all of you for your responses - you guys rock

Hopefully, we will find a concise solution soon. I know that BMW sales and service personnel should be able to advise clearly on how to effectively use the technology, but this is not the case
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

This more debate over the USB / 6NR setup in this thread

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521188

which is I where I read that someone claiming 6NR worked through the cable. After reading it again, I don't think it does and I assume he hadn't tested video through the USB cable.

Therefore it looks like that if you buy 6NR, BMW only wire the cradle, not the USB slot for video.

Weird as I now have the opposite in my X3 with a 6NR retrofit allowing me to use the USB cable BUT it is a Y cable with the AUX socket replaced with an AV socket to carry the video signal. I assume the reason that the Y cable is a no go in the standard 6NR setup is that you are connecting to an audio only AUX not an AV??

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #14
vanheiser
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 330i LCI

some thoughts

I'm not exactly sure if what I'm about to suggest is what you have been asking about. But maybe try shutting down your iPhone (press and hold power button and slide to off) and turn it back on again. Then try connecting it to your USB using the iPhone/iPod Cable.

So when I first got my X3 I found out that I wasn't able to scroll through my song list / playlist using the steering wheel knob when iPhone 4s or 1st gen iPod touch (both updated to latest iOS available) was connected through USB (using iPhone cable). But when my phone (same phone I use to connect through USB) was connected through bluetooth and streamed audio through bluetooth, I was able to use the steering wheel knob to choose skip or previous track. When back to BMW and didn't get any fix and they say that there was no software errors. My sales person suggested to me to try rebooting the iPhone which I tried and after that I was able to browse through my playlist (which appear in your dashboard right under your speedometer) using the knob on the steering wheel. I tried the same trick for my iPod touch and it work perfectly as well.

But after about a month or so I got the same problem again, but the rebooting trick works and problem fixed.

Hope this fix your problem!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

What are the steps involved to remove iPhone cradle from armrest and level of difficulty? IMHO It's useless if you have your phone in a protective case and the cradle takes up too much valuable storage space...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanheiser View Post
I'm not exactly sure if what I'm about to suggest is what you have been asking about. But maybe try shutting down your iPhone (press and hold power button and slide to off) and turn it back on again. Then try connecting it to your USB using the iPhone/iPod Cable.

So when I first got my X3 I found out that I wasn't able to scroll through my song list / playlist using the steering wheel knob when iPhone 4s or 1st gen iPod touch (both updated to latest iOS available) was connected through USB (using iPhone cable). But when my phone (same phone I use to connect through USB) was connected through bluetooth and streamed audio through bluetooth, I was able to use the steering wheel knob to choose skip or previous track. When back to BMW and didn't get any fix and they say that there was no software errors. My sales person suggested to me to try rebooting the iPhone which I tried and after that I was able to browse through my playlist (which appear in your dashboard right under your speedometer) using the knob on the steering wheel. I tried the same trick for my iPod touch and it work perfectly as well.

But after about a month or so I got the same problem again, but the rebooting trick works and problem fixed.

Hope this fix your problem!

Cheers.
Many thanks for your response the issue I am experiencing is a little bit different from what you have listed here

I have the functionality to access media in the fashion you have described.

My problem is more related to accessing the "Apple Style" menus and video play back via the plugin feature.

Last edited by car_fan; 08-11-2012 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

The only way I have been able to use the plugin feature is with the cradle. It works great but the cost of the cradle is ridiculous for what it really does.
      08-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
The only way I have been able to use the plugin feature is with the cradle. It works great but the cost of the cradle is ridiculous for what it really does.
All of my cars have the adapter in the armrest (inclduing the MINI). The MINI has full functionality "without" the use of the cradle. With the others I am SOL. You would think that buying the adapter would entitle you to the cradle and/or Y-cable With my 1st F07 the Y-cable was included prior to the release of 6NR combox, My second F07 nor my F12, 2012 - E92, or F25 included the cable. With the new BMW's they don't include the Y-cable, but the MINI with 6NR and the adapter - sans cradle - they include the Y-cable. Make sense? Nope not at all
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
All of my cars have the adapter in the armrest (inclduing the MINI). The MINI has full functionality "without" the use of the cradle. With the others I am SOL. You would think that buying the adapter would entitle you to the cradle and/or Y-cable With my 1st F07 the Y-cable was included prior to the release of 6NR combox, My second F07 nor my F12, 2012 - E92, or F25 included the cable. With the new BMW's they don't include the Y-cable, but the MINI with 6NR and the adapter - sans cradle - they include the Y-cable. Make sense? Nope not at all
The MINI 6NR doesn't make sense as you said but not getting a Y-cable on models that have a combox makes perfect sense because you don't need one. The combox decodes the digital signal so you don't need the Y-cable to decode it to analog and pass it via AUX. No combox => Y cable required to decode.

Last edited by sfax; 08-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: typo!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #20
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
The MINI 6NR doesn't make sense as you said but not getting a Y-cable on models that have a combox makes perfect sense because you don't need one. The combox decodes the digital signal so you don't need the Y-cable to decode it to analog and pass it via AUX. No combox => Y cable required to decode.
Using the Apple cable on the other cars doesn't work either. I will get a high level tech involved to look into the reasons it doesn't work. i am pretty much under the impression I neeed the cradle for plugin/video functionality. The MINI must be coded differently

I have two other Y-cables at my disposal as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

So, I can set-up my i-phone to sinc with the car bluetooth and it shows both a hand set and the music symbols but no music...
What next?
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0